anyone familiar with Kuempel movement

alskogen

Jun 4, 2005
Country
Region
I am working on a Kuempel grand father clock with tubular chimes. I can't seem to get the chimes to work correctly. Is anyone familiar with this make of clock ? Or is there a thread on this type of tubular chimes?

Al

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
I don't recognize that name, is it on the movement or the dial? Are there any numbers on the movement?

itbme1987

May 18, 2008
NY
Country
Region
I have one of them clocks and it has a kieninger movement (hope i spelt it right)

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
The company was still in business a few years ago. Located in Minnesota. I don't know the source of their movements but do have a couple of pictures .

Best,

Richard T.

Attachments

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Can you explain the problem you're having? I'm guessing it's the string tension ..... but that's just a guess :)

alskogen

Jun 4, 2005
Country
Region
After looking at Conovers book on chime clock repair. After reading chapter 12. It sounds like this might be the movement I am working on. I pickup the movement 50 miles away and rebushed the strike cam pivot hole cleaned and oiled returned the clock and hung the tubular chimes the chime mechanism works but I can't get the chimes in sequence.I informed the the customer that I would do some research on come back and try to get them in sequence. there are five tubes so I think it is only westminster. I have tried to get the chimes in proper order by starting at the quarter hr and turning the chime drive wheel untill It has a 1 2 3 4 sequence but it is not in the correct order after that . any suggestions? Al

stan stocker

Aug 5, 2007
Bentonville, VA
www.stansclockshop.com
Region
Greetings,

Kuempel modified major manufacturers movements to make affordable tubular chime clocks.

They can be a bit weird, but the standard method of setting up the chime drum works.

The strike hammer should be hitting the longest tube. The hammers hang in order in the case, long to short.

The odd little setup with the fishing pole tips and shrink wrap tube should be set up so the cords do not cross each other. I've set up several tubular chime clocks after they have been moved. For some reason, movers get the tubes hung up in reverse order quite often.

Before considering the job done, take a look at the eyes on the hammer frame that the woven hammer cords run through. On one I did, the lines had worn a groove in the interior of the eye, causing too much drag. 10 minutes with a dremel tool polishing up the rubbing surfaces restored full chime speed.

Tubular chime clocks can get very weird, it's why we always charge more for them!

Cheers,
Stan Stocker
Linden, Virginia

alskogen

Jun 4, 2005
Country
Region
well I am embarrassed---- when I returned to check out the chimes I reversed the order of the chimes they were put on long tubes on the left after looking at the hamers for sometime I decided to revercs the tubes, long on left, short on right and what do you know!!! they sound great thanks for listening !! Al

Reactions: BrendanD

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Now I'm wondering how you got that 4-3-2-1 sequence right :) Oh! now that I re-read it, it says 1-2-3-4. That would make sense :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pamula
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller