Anyone else built their own Clock?

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by Ck, Nov 3, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oh my!! What a pleasure to see what someone can produce with their hands, brains and a few tools. Thanks for sharing and please show us more. Paul

2. Bob Baxter

Bob Baxter Registered User

Dec 19, 2000
    retired
    Carlisle, MA
    Country Flag:
    Hey Paradise, where did you find the lyre pendulum for the regulator you made for your friend with the walnut? I'm looking for one for a jewelers pinwheel regulator I'm starting on now.

Beautiful work!! I would like to see what you could do with a large shop!!!

3. Mike Phelan

Mike Phelan Registered User

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #103 Mike Phelan, Aug 23, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
    Last one I made was about 20 years ago - shame on me!
    I think this might have appeared a long while ago on this thread before the forum software was updated.
    I'm probably cheating a bit as although I made it, I did not design it - that was done by the great John Wilding, who has contributed more than anyone to getting folk intersted in clockmaking.

Note that "making a clock" in US is what we would call "making a clock case" - something that most of you can do much better than I can - glass domes are my friend! ;)

I have a pile of brass and steel ready to make a copy of Philip Woodward's gearless clock design, and as really I ought to be designing something, next ones are based on Herschede's ingenious 2-train chime, and a smaller design for the garage wall, based on Gents' Waiting Train, with some electric junkbox stuff for a 30-second 'master'. 40805.jpg 40806.jpg 40807.jpg 40808.jpg

4. paradise

paradise Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Mr. Baxter, The pendulum, works and a dial, not shown, was something I had stashed away. I got it at a show several years ago in a case which was in such ruin it had to be thrown out; but it made the pinwheel more reasonably priced. I was planning to use it for myself but ended up selling it to my friend as part of making his clock for what I paid for it. I ended up having to wait 3 years till I found another priced reasonably. It is going into the big walnut regulator Im making but I decided not to use the porcelain dial but make the black one [ with gold leaf numbers ] to use instead. A [ not so ] funny thing: after I spent many hours lining up everything and applying the leaf and all I realized that I did not have a windup hole. I had to measure carefully and took it to a glass place to drill and hoped it didnt break. I made the center hole for the hands and completely forgot about winding but when I discovered it I did not trust my inexperience to drill that hole so I took it to a local glass place I have used before and hoped for the best. As you can see in the picture it doesnt have the windup hole. Well Im happy to report the operation was a success.
    I am trying to finish this clock in time to bring to the Florida Winter Regional in Kisimee in Jan. next year. Its a chore. Im guessing it will end up weighing close to 150 pounds empty. Its a wallhanger but Im going to make a base to stand it on for the show for lack of a hook but it really changes the clock entirely. Im putting a few more pics of that one and the one shown next to it but be kind to me and realize that they are both in very incomplete stage
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Another clock in the incomplete stage. This one has been sitting in the corner of the garage for a few years along with about four others in all stages of incomplete. Every so often I will get a bug and do a little work on one or the other of them but then along comes a new idea which takes center stage and gets all the attention.
    This one is cherry. I hear that cherry darkens from the oxygen in the air over time, well by the time I finish this guy it may be black. Its about 8 foot 4 inches and will be getting a set of feet which will rise it about 4 more inches. The dial is big 14 X 20 and is brass. I am not planning any brass attachments on this clock. Im putting fluted 1/4 columbs in the corners along the trunk and 4 fluted columbs in the bonnet with wood bases and capitals. I have been experimenting with dyes for it, I dont want to use cherry, and decided to make it red. Its gonna look strange. I already tried in a few spots and I like it. Its not fire engine red its a sort of brownish red but it shows up nicely on the cherry. Im sure that lots of folks wont like it and some will but I do and as I dont think anyone will buty the clocks I make I end up doing it for me and my wife so I do what she and I like. 41060.jpg 41061.jpg 41062.jpg 41063.jpg 41064.jpg 41065.jpg

5. Bob Baxter

Bob Baxter Registered User

Dec 19, 2000
    retired
    Carlisle, MA
    Country Flag:
    Paradise,
    I sent you a PM.
    Bob

6. paradise

paradise Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Mr. Baxter: I sent you a message but not being familiar with the way to do it I may have done it wrong. Please let me know if you got it.
    Thanks..............paradise

7. Robertptn

Robertptn Registered User

Jan 27, 2009
    I can't take credit for these, but my best friend is into tramp art and people commission him to build clocks for them. I just help out suppling and restoring the works he uses. The GF clock is themed after Abe Lincoln, the bottom is a minuture Fords Theater. 43398.jpg 43399.jpg

8. Joe Hollen

Joe Hollen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Network Engineer
    Weare, NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #108 Joe Hollen, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
    Paradise:

Very nice clocks ! I like the reddish look on the Cherry GF clock !

This is a "Vermont Style Regulator" I recently built. Making this clock was a very enjoyable project. I recently got a "Jet drum sander" that made short work of the door panels. No visible "snipe" on the wood panels ! :) The "Curly Cherry" that I found for the door and throat frame were very nice too ! I only wish that my supply house had more... I used the Minwax wood conditioner, and then Minwax gel-stain for the wood finishing. No blotching !!! :) ...

Joe 43530.jpg 43531.jpg

9. Dave B

Dave B Banned

Jun 7, 2008
    Civil Engineer; woodwind musician; clock repairman
    Westminster. MD
    Country Flag:
    I have never built my own clock, but here is my first attempt at building my own case. The photo of the completed clock was taken with it standing in front of my 6mm Boley lathe, for scale. The last photo is of the original clock, cased in 1806 by David White of Longmeadow MA, standing in my livingroom. The writing on the back of the copy is copied from the original. I used a quartz watch movement, and a pair of pocket watch hands. I had to make bushings for the hands, to fit the shafts on the movement. The dial is a photograph, printed at a scale of one inch to the foot.

My next project was going to be to make a movement from clear acrylic, but that has to wait, because my mother has requested that I make a copy of her 12" Seth Thomas Gallery clock to hang in her doll house, so it has to come first. 30254.jpg 30256.jpg 30260.jpg 43629.jpg 43630.jpg 43631.jpg 43632.jpg 43633.jpg

10. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice job Dave, you have some great capentry skills.:)

11. cmnewcomer

cmnewcomer Registered User

Mar 24, 2009
    I have been surprised for many years that there was not a forum for clock building in general but this seems to be a nice addition to the site. I have been struggling for many years with tooling, materials, and technical details that could not be readily answered so this may be the time and place. Looking forward to seeing how others are making out with their builds.

In any event, I have attached a picture of my second clock but the first of the design my Grandfather built.

Best Regards.

Carl 92052.jpg 92053.jpg

12. MISTRY NILESH D

MISTRY NILESH D New Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Attached two pictures of my grandfather clock. One is of full movement and other where I put 29 diamonds and one ruby on the escape wheel. Further, I used 4 ruby jewels for escape wheel and escape arm bearings. Other pinions run in ball bearings. Pallets are high speed steel. Runs within 30 minutes a month.

Clock is supported on three leg rosewood tripoid and movement is covered with glass dom. 99116.jpg 99117.jpg

13. yagna

yagna Registered User

Nov 27, 2011

14. Joe Hollen

NAWCC Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Network Engineer
    Weare, NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have to "reactivate" this thread again... ;) Here's a clock I recently made - A banjo clock with book-matched "bird's eye maple" throat and door panels. The fine weight driven movement was made by the late "Aramado Cimino"...

Joe

165262.jpg 165261.jpg

15. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Awesome Joe. Did you make the brass work as well? Very nicely done.

16. Joe Hollen

NAWCC Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Network Engineer
    Weare, NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    David:

Thanks very much for those kind words :)

No... I didn't make the brass decorations. (I have designed and used Girandole sidearms from "Emachineshop.com's CADCAM software" though. I had a number of them made for me and they came out great! If I ever run out of banjo sidearms, I'll have to go that route for those also :) The bezel and the brass balls in the bracket came from Timesavers. The finial is from Ball and Ball antique hardware in Exton Pa.. The door hinges are from Horton's Brasses. The movement, sidearms, bezel latch, and pendulum tiedown are from Mr. Cimino (His nephew was selling some of his stock after his untimely death)... Also, I misspelled his first name in my previous reply... It's "Armando", not "Aramado" (duh ! %-) ...

BTW, the case and bracket are cherry...

I really love making Willard style clocks. To me, they are the most interesting, and nicest looking clocks in the Clock World... Sure, there are more ornate clocks out there, but the handsome simplicity, utility, and history of these clocks just can't be beat ... And, the only way I'll ever have a Willard Style clock (on my budget at least) is to make them myself ! :)

Thanks again...

Joe

17. Max Phillips

Max Phillips Registered User

Sep 12, 2011
    Software Engineer
    Barrington, NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll echo David's words... nice work, Joe! You're a skilled woodworker, and I must admit to being envious of that! That is some beautiful maple you've used there. A friend of mine at work made a small birds eye maple storage box for a toolmaking project of mine, and I just love the figure.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to PM you - I'm pretty sure we are former co-workers.

-Max

18. Walesey

Walesey Registered User

May 24, 2012
    High School Science Laboratory Assistant
    Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK. So perhaps there is a thread for making clock cases after all!

I spent my Christmas Break cutting up bits of pine wood to clothe a naked movement that I picked up on e-bay. I got the movement so as to practice clock repairs, and then made the case so as to practice wood working skills, as I am very light on in BOTH departments! I did not post my resultant clock here because it was not really a CLOCK that I had made, and I could not find a forum for clock cases.

166086.jpg

Anyway, I hereby submit a link to the "Woodwork Forum" where I submitted photos of my case, earlier in the year. http://www.woodworkforums.com/f168/yet-another-first-clock-167114/

I guess I could upload the photos here if people really wanted me to, but you can probably get the idea from the link.

Cheers
    Walesey

19. jono

jono Registered User

Apr 16, 2012
  20. François

François Registered User

Dec 29, 2006
    IT manager
    Montréal, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I buit my own grandfather clock a year ago. I have been doing woodworking for a while and I tought that making my own clock would be fun. I bougth a movement on Ebay (Hermle 1171-850 ) for a few bucks, fixed it (very little to do on this movement..... cost me 37$) and had the weights, pendulum and dial from a canadian provider. The model was inspired from a friend's clock and I had to make the plan (I use VISIO). Everything was made according to the handcraft method using only tenon, mortise and glue. The cabinet was made from white oak and the decoration and doors from walnut. Took me 120 hours including the design.
    169845.jpg 169846.jpg 169847.jpg 169848.jpg 169849.jpg

21. Joe Hollen

NAWCC Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Network Engineer
    Weare, NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Francois:

Very nicely done !!! That was a nice blending of lighter and darker woods also (in the Bonnet)...

Keep up the fine craftsmenship !

Joe

22. Joe Hollen

NAWCC Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Network Engineer
    Weare, NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    On my previous post... That's craftsmanship , not craftsmenship! (I need to slow down when I reply...and, start using the spell-checker too !!! :bang: )

23. Joe Hollen

NAWCC Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Network Engineer
    Weare, NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I guess I'll revive this thread...

Back in 2015, I had a spare movement in the shop, and I didn't know what to do with it... A friend of mine wanted a Tall Clock built by me... With that in mind, I tried to figure out if this movement could work for a Tall Clock project (shorter than normal pendulum). The dilemma was figuring out what design would compliment the movement. The movement had no seconds bit, and a shorter than normal pendulum for a Tall Clock, but it was a very nice looking Pendulum along with the weights)... So, we thought that with no seconds bit, the Pendulum and Weights should be visible. We wanted an antique design, but there are not that many antique Tall Clocks that have their pendulum and weights displayed through a glass waist door. We didn't want to build a modern style clock in any form. After brainstorming a bit I remembered a clock in Brooks Palmer's "Treasury of American Clocks that I really liked made by Isaac Doolittle of New Haven Conn. It was built in the 1745 timeframe. A possible "fit" ? I changed the "base" of the clock from the original design. (The original really had no base section at all, but a molded pedestal bottom ). The Doolittle clock had a nice sarcophagus style hood also. I wanted to replicate that... The feature that was the deciding factor was the tombstone "window" in the waist section, taken from the original... ( I would include the picture of the original from Brooks Palmer's book, but I'm not sure if I would violate the photo posting "rules")...

Anyway, this was the result. Constructed in cherry except for the backboard and baseboard...

IMG_0467.JPG IMG_0468.JPG IMG_0469.JPG

PatH likes this.