Anybody know what this is?

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by paradise, Jun 17, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. paradise

paradise Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2007
    retired
    florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If I can figure out how to post a picture. Has anybody seen this model before. It looks like a Seth Thomas case but is obviously International. The screws holding the dial on suggest its not the standard International movement nor is it the weighted wind system. I dont have this clock but someone sent me that picture and asked me if I knew what it was. I dont so Im asking for some help from the brains. slave8.jpg

2. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    #2 eskmill, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    Obvious the photo is of an ITR (pre IBM) Master clock. The nameplate might have the model number but it is of pre -1922 manufacture when the ITR company became IBM in the US.

I have the movement which attaches to the huge casting with the electric winding motor. The movement is the typical Seth Thomas #68 dual mainspring movement employing brutal mainsprings.

The big brass dialed school bell programmer is driven from the movement and would control school and factory bells according to a program schedule and is similar to later versions.

The movement's mainsprings are geared to a "fan switch" that controls the electric motor in the base casting that winds the tandem mainsprings.

The 'guts-and-all' is well made and very heavy. I'd hate to have to pay the shipping cost to acquire the "brute."

I think perhaps only Gensheimer could expand on my description.

3. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is a label at the bottom of the picture that should give a model number and serial number to date the clock. Interesting that it is not a master clock, in that I don't see any switches to run an impulse system, and the program is direct drive off the main movement.

4. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    The master clock shown in the photo by paradise is the ITR/IBM model 670 or 680 (depending on how powered I guess)

As I stated, I have inspected a movement such as used in the clock. It does have a "minute" operated electrical contact on the 'scape wheel arbor to be used to increment slave dials.

There was an interesting thread initiated years ago by Popeye with detailed photos of his examples showing the "guts-and-all" of the ITR model 680 Master Clock with all the parts needed to drive the bell programmer with a drive shaft.

Take a look at:
    https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?60093-ITC-Master-Clock-Monster-Movement!-Help-ID-Advice-On-Decision

5. paradise

paradise Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2007
    retired
    florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    To all the wonderful brains....thank you.....paradise

6. John Lippold

John Lippold Registered User
    NAWCC Member