Anybody Know This Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by claussclocks, Oct 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A young man in Canada has this mantel clock that he is sure has had the movement and dial replaced. He wants to restore to original. Does anyone recognize this case. I have scanned the Tran books and looked online but either have missed or not found it.

If you recognize it let me know. It looks American but I have not ruled out the possibility it is a German make designed to sell in the American market. Kind of reminds me of a Hamburg American I saw recently

DPC

mantel clock.jpeg

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    is there a photo of the movement? those dial numbers are pretty unique...

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    The numbers on the dial don't look that unusual to me, but the bezel does. I suppose if the movement and dial has been replaced, we may never know who made the original - the case looks fairly standard to me, and could have been made almost anywhere. I don't see any specifically American characteristics to the case, but I am not an expert on American clocks, so may be missing something.

JTD

4. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    since its located in canada, perhaps try pequanant(or whatever is the actual spelling)

hard to say without looking at the back, but with the brocot adjustment sticking though the dial, the movement seems like it could be "sessions-esque" the dial to me looks to be a fairly inexpensive reproduction designed for some german regulator

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I think I can see F and S (and possibly something else behind the hand). This may be just the Fast and Slow indicators for the regulator at 12, but, if so, the letters are very low down on the dial.

Could the OP please confirm if I have seen the letters correctly and/or if there is another behind the hand?

JTD

6. Jim Hartog

Jim Hartog Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello,

That is not a Pequegnat case, at least that case is not in the Varkaris/Varkaris Pequegnat book.

Jim

7. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  8. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No its definitely not a Pequegnat, looks maybe European to me, maybe someone added pieces to the case.

9. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #9 Isaac, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Looks like a Seth Thomas face to me, of one of their "City Series" clocks. There's a listing on E-bay right now that has the same ornate bezel.

Here is a link to an inactive auction of a "Milan", which has very similar number styling as yours. VINTAGE SETH THOMAS CITY SERIES CLOCK "MILAN" CIRCA 1900 - MAHOGANY | eBay

Hopefully this sheds a light on things - we can't be 100% certain until we see the movement and any stamps that might be on it, but my money's on ST.

Isaac

Kevin W. likes this.
  10. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    We seem to be forgetting or ignoring the above statement from post No. 1. While it would be good to see the movement, it might be of little or no benefit in identifying the clock maker.

11. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    True. I guess it comes down to if there is any identification marks on the case itself or if anyone happens to have a catalog illustration. Otherwise we can keep guessing at who made the original clock indefinitely, just my 0.02

12. MikeDeB

MikeDeB Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 10, 2013
    retired police officer
    Okemos, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The case doesn't look that unusual but the bezel is just like one on a Waterbury that I have. The positions of the winding arbors and the regulator are the same as mine. Just a thought.

13. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe look at the hinges, and back door opening knob and compair them to other clocks, I was an antique restorer and found you can tell a lot from the hardware used. The case looks to have been redone with 2 pack (used in kitchen doors and the like) also the dial looks like a replacement paper.