Anybody here in central Tennessee?

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
I was thinking the other day, that I would like to further my horological education a bit, by working part time under someone in a clock shop. I know there are a zillion books out there, as well as a wealth of information right here on the message board, but I’d like to see a pro in action and get some actual “hands-on” tutelage.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
bcg,

I think there is a secret rule where clock people have to be at least 200 miles apart. That is a good thing business wise though!

Videos are nice. I wouldn't trust the YouTube stuff to much. It seems to be about 50:50 proposition and that's not a good thing.

I agree that hands on learning is best but it will take thousands of hours, usually not practical.

There was a guy from Tennessee that made great videos back around 1985, in the days of VHS. His name was Wayne xxxxxx. Someone may remember his last name. He, or possibly some of his people might be reasonably close to you? There was a great repair shop north of Gatlinburg at one time too. I'm assuming these legacies carried on, which is probably just wishful thinking on my part.

Good luck, Willie X

Last edited:

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
Thanks, Willie! There is a regular clock shop in Sparta, which is not far from me, and another guy who advertises antique clock repair in one of those free weekly circulars, but I get the impression his is home based rather than a separate brick and mortar business. I might approach one or both of them, but I can imagine that most clock repairers have had their share of people with a passing interest, and might be leery of training someone they know nothing about, or being reluctant to train someone who might become a competitor. Thanks for the reply!

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Have you tried contacting the closest NAWCC Chapter to see if there are members available to mentor or answer questions for those who are less experienced?

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
Have you tried contacting the closest NAWCC Chapter to see if there are members available to mentor or answer questions for those who are less experienced?
I haven’t, as I’m not a member. I’ve been encouraged by others to join, but haven’t as yet; mostly because I couldn’t imagine what better benefit I might receive from it than the message board, which I already participate in. Networking with other “clockers”(is that what we are?)is looking like it might be a good reason to join, though.

Reactions: PatH

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
bcg,

What you get in return is well worth the money. Use of the library was a big thing for me, back in the early 1980s. I ordered three books at a time until I was ordering some of them for a second read. I still have some of my old notes!

It was 25 bucks way back then, so I would guess that the price now is about the same when adjusted, then vs now.

Willie X

Reactions: PatH

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Not to mention the online Bulletins, and, there's a Regional scheduled at the Convention Center in Chattanooga September 3rd (afternoon) through the 5th. Details can be found by clicking on Events above.
Link to the Special First-Time membership form - NAWCC Membership Application

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
Well, it was a nice thought, but I couldn’t join because “your email already exists”.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
There are also laws that prevent a potential mentor from letting you help them in the business for free. They would have to pay you a salary, which for most is an unacceptable expense, and not paying an unacceptable risk ;)

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Well, it was a nice thought, but I couldn’t join because “your email already exists”.
I'm sorry to hear that. You can use the Contact us link at the top of the page to contact the office through email, or you can call, and they will help resolve that issue.
Phone: 717-684-8261

Tim Orr

National Membership Chair
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good afternoon, Biker!

It makes no sense that you would be unable to join at the "First-Time/1st-Year" rate – unless you have previously been a member. I am sending an inquiry to the Membership folks at HQ in your behalf.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

Tim Orr

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good afternoon, Biker!

While we're waiting to find out what went wrong with your attempt to join, let me say that in Middle Tennessee, there are a number of clock repair people working. You should probably contact Dixie Chapter 16 (Nashville) to see who's on their roster. A number of years ago, when I was part of Chapter 16, there were at least half a dozen active workers in that field.

Can't guarantee that any or all would permit you to hang out with them and observe, but it's worth a shot. Some folks don't like having someone look over their shoulder while they're working. Some fear helping a potential competitor get a start. Some worry about liability if you were to be injured while observing.

I remember that the late, great Thurman Whitsett (who once worked for Jesse Coleman) bemoaned the fact that when he tried working with apprentices, he couldn't find any that shared his work ethic.

But your best shot is getting in touch with Chapter 16. There are also chapters in Knoxville and the Memphis area, as well as in Huntsville, Birmingham and Atlanta. Click on the "Local Chapters" link at the top of the page.

Good luck and best regards!

Tim Orr

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
That message means just what it said. There is already an account at that email address. It need not be an NAWCC Member account but may have been created from some other activity on the site.

When you see that message, you only need to recover your password like you would from any other site. After you receive the password reset response, you can log in and look at your non-member account where you will find the option to join the NAWCC at whatever level you like. That message can only come to you since it is your email address. Clearly the system already knows you.:)

If you want to know more about what the NAWCC is, you could also take advantage of our New Member Convention deal and join us in Hampden VA in July.

For $95 you can register for the meeting and your first year of membership. If you do that and have a friend you would like to bring along they can attend for another $25. There is a full schedule of workshops and lectures as well as the largest clock and watch collectors market room in the country.

I am in charge of the pre-registration and can assist you if you need more help. The deal was designed for walk in activity, but we have extended it to pre-registration because of interest from potential members wanting to come from the west coast other distant locations who want to be sure they get the deal.

Tim Orr

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good evening, Biker!

We kinda need to know exactly what you did when you attempted to access the link that Pat H. posted for you. Or, did you not try to do that? You should have gone to a page where you could apply for NAWCC membership – NOT Forums or Message Board membership.

Let us know what you did. The results you are getting are not what I would have expected. I just clicked on Pat's link myself, and I went right to the Membership Application page. Is that what happened for you?

Best regards!

Tim

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Registered Users here on the forums have, in principle, an account on the NAWCC Membership System. The difference is that their account does not have the member status. (There are some exceptions.)

If someone tries to create an account and receives the message the email is in use, they should understand that they already have a non-member account and what they need to do is to change the status of that account. If they have forgotten the password for that account, they can recover the password.

It may be the case that we should put more explanatory language in place. That is for those in charge of the service to decide. They might feel that the extra language would confuse more people than it would help.

I spend quite a bit of time on the net and I sometimes deal with vendors I only rarely visit. In some cases I might forget I have ever been there before. In all cases when I see the message "that email is already in use" I interpret as that as also saying "you must have forgotten." In some cases the site has a username that is different from the email address. In those cases, I need to recover the username as well as the password. It is all part of living in the Internet Era.

There is also the situational logic that the email is your email. If the site knows about it, the site knows about you. Even if that email belonged to someone else years ago (very unlikely) it belongs to you now because mail sent to it comes to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravens Watch
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller