• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Anybody heard of a French distributor named "ORBEL"?

pcekal

NAWCC Member
Oct 7, 2011
I came across a "Veritable Westminster" French deco box clock recently that appears to have an ODO 24 movement (Westminster/Sonodo) probably from the 1950s (metal bar chime/strike silencers) and the dial has "ORBEL" printed on it below the hands. Anybody know anything about this distributor? I'm assuming an arrangement something like Manufrance or a jewelry store...I've see it more than once, just curious...

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country

pcekal

NAWCC Member
Oct 7, 2011
Hey, thanks for your reply Dick C! Do you have any more information/knowledge that you can share beyond the link to a French jewelry store of the same name? Much appreciated...

pcekal

NAWCC Member
Oct 7, 2011
La Bijouterie ORBEL has only existed since 2018 according to the firm...so this is not anything they would have marketed. Still curious as to the origin if anybody has any idea...

DSCF2153.JPG DSCF2457.JPG

Jessk09

Feb 27, 2020
Country
You could try looking up:”Veritable Westminster” Orbel Zairs

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
These French box regulators often bore regional retailer names. Nothing is known about most of these retailers since they all came and went over the years. Their names were just stamped onto the dial so be careful not to rub anything off.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
2 airs = Westminster and Sonodo chime melodies, switched back and forth through a small pump lever beneath the 4 o'clock position.

Reactions: Dave T