19th c Anybody have info about “Hyde and Son - London and Paris” pocket watch ?

Tung chan

Nov 5, 2020
Country
Just buy a pw, beautiful and run well, but have a little info about it. How Circa, material case, and nation made ? The case is silver colour but unlike sterling.
Sorry, I am Vietnamese, my English not well
Tks everybody :)

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Welcome to the message board.

We can give you information about the company Hyde and Son but we will need pictures of your watch to give you details.

My reference books list a Hyde and Son in Sleaford. Sleaford in this book most likely means Sleaford England but there are also towns called Sleaford in the US.

The date for this is 1868.

Many English dealers sold Swiss and American watches as well as English watches. We need to see photos of the works and of the marks inside the case. If your case is sterling it is probably marked with four stamps which tell who made the case where it was tetsted and in what year.

Tung chan

Nov 5, 2020
Country
I'm currently using my phone to post and can't upload pictures, tomorrow I'll use my computer and try again. Tks u

Welcome to the message board.

We can give you information about the company Hyde and Son but we will need pictures of your watch to give you details.

My reference books list a Hyde and Son in Sleaford. Sleaford in this book most likely means Sleaford England but there are also towns called Sleaford in the US.

The date for this is 1868.

Many English dealers sold Swiss and American watches as well as English watches. We need to see photos of the works and of the marks inside the case. If your case is sterling it is probably marked with four stamps which tell who made the case where it was tetsted and in what year.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
This is a very fine watch. It dates between 1830 and the 1840's. It has an elegant but archaic temperature correction and a form of shock resistance both invented by Breguet. These are very rare, especially surviving.

These are usually in much more ornate cases and usually gold. Possibly the original owner sold the gold case and had a a sliver case made to replace it.

The Thread agemo reference shows syuch a case with Neuchatel hallmarking for 18K gold.

Reactions: Tung chan

Tung chan

Nov 5, 2020
Country
Tks u. very useful information. Anyway, I think the case is original, because it has 2 bottom layers, the inner layer still has the engraved text ?
This is a very fine watch. It dates between 1830 and the 1840's. It has an elegant but archaic temperature correction and a form of shock resistance both invented by Breguet. These are very rare, especially surviving.

These are usually in much more ornate cases and usually gold. Possibly the original owner sold the gold case and had a a sliver case made to replace it.

The Thread agemo reference shows syuch a case with Neuchatel hallmarking for 18K gold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Criseldis
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller