Any shorthand experts....?

Ralph B

Nov 25, 2006
Napier, New Zealand
Country
Not even sure if this is shorthand though it's been suggested to me that it could be Pitman's Shorthand.
I found it scrawled on one of the plates of an English double fusee I'm currently working on.
I'm used to names and dates, but nothing like this and I wondered if it has any meaning.

Ralph.
N.Z.

IMG-2971.JPG

Snapper

Nov 30, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Country
I think Pitman's relies on not only the shape but the thickness of the characters which would be difficult to produce using a scriber or the like. Maybe some variety of eastern script?

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I think Pitman's relies on not only the shape but the thickness of the characters
That's perfectly true. However, people who are skilled Pitman writers often don't bother with the 'thicks and thins', especially if they are writing something that only they will have to read back.

But I don't think it is Pitman's shorthand. I am still thinking about what it might be..........

JTD

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
Get as clear a photo of it that you can and put it into Google shorthand translator - see what it says.

Tim Orr

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Donor
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good afternoon!

Just a guess, but something is whispering "Arabic" to me.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

Reactions: PatH

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Not even sure if this is shorthand though it's been suggested to me that it could be Pitman's Shorthand.
I found it scrawled on one of the plates of an English double fusee I'm currently working on.
I'm used to names and dates, but nothing like this and I wondered if it has any meaning.

Ralph.
N.Z.

View attachment 611886
Sanskrit?

RM.

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
A long time ago my wife was one of the best at taking shorthand and then retyping her shorthand notes into conventional text. At about 120 WPM. There are several forms of shorthand, and each may have little in common with her version, which was Gregg's shorthand. She is of the opinion the scratches on the movement are a form of shorthand. One word she thinks would be "business" in Gregg's version. Another appears to be "industry" in Gregg's. So what it may mean in the form it is in on the back of a clock movement in NZ is not really clear.

gregg shorthand.jpg

Ralph B

Nov 25, 2006
Napier, New Zealand
Country
Thanks for the replies so far.
I see this turning into a mystery akin to that one where a body was found with encrypted notes on it, and no-one, FBI, NSA, etc, have ever been able to decipher them.
Not quite as important in my case though....

Ralph.

PS.
When I return this clock I'll question the owners as to its history, that may shed a little more light.

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
My wife, who learned shorthand in NZ, thinks it could be Pitmans, but it’s been too many years since she was fluent...

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
When you look at a very large view of this image the images are on the brass plate and have been covered by other items.

Do you have a photo of the brass plate with everything removed that is covering the "text"?

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
When you look at a very large view of this image the images are on the brass plate and have been covered by other items.

Do you have a photo of the brass plate with everything removed that is covering the "text"?

I agree - it would be very helpful to have a photo of the complete plate, and preferably not sideways!

JTD

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
My wife knows shorthand too, and could not make out a complete sentence.

fbicknel

Apr 14, 2017
Cumming, GA
Country
Region
Devious clockmaker in 1890 decides to confuse and befuddle the next person to work on the clock.

Little does he know, thanks to the Internet, he befuddles several dozen of us.

Ralph B

Nov 25, 2006
Napier, New Zealand
Country
I agree - it would be very helpful to have a photo of the complete plate, and preferably not sideways!

JTD
I didn't realise it was sideways, it's just the way it presented itself.
The clock is now back together and on test so I'm loathe to pull it apart again just to expose a few more characters when we already have plenty to look at, without making sense of them anyway.
However, if someone is able to show that what's visible says, " all my gold is buried at.....", and we can't see the rest because it's under something, then I'll be in like Flynn ! :)

Ralph B.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
However, if someone is able to show that what's visible says, " all my gold is buried at.....", and we can't see the rest because it's under something, then I'll be in like Flynn ! :)
Sorry. I got that gold already That's the advantage of being able to read Hobbit.

Reactions: zedric

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Sorry. I got that gold already That's the advantage of being able to read Hobbit.
And the advantage of being an admin, so you can hold up the listing of the post until you've been out with a shovel!:):)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryGladys
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-