Any Pequegnat experts out there?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by timelyrestorations, Sep 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. timelyrestorations

timelyrestorations Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 26, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Just picked this one up at a second hand shop. I have a reprint of the original Arthur Pequegnat clock catalogues #1 - 6, from 1904 to 1928. I do not see this particular clock pictured at all! Very plain oak case, but what surprised me, was that the front feet, as well as the lions heads at each case side are carved wood, rather than the usual brass, or pot metal. I have never seen this on a Pequegnat model, or in fact, on any similar clock. Does anyone have any insight? It will need a good cleanup, inside and out, but should be an attractive and unique piece when done!

Doug

pequegnat1.JPG pequegnat2.JPG pequegnat3.JPG pequegnat4.JPG

2. Jim_Miller

Jim_Miller Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Retired
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If I’m not mistaken, isn’t there a museum in Canada that highlights the Pequegnat clocks
    Jim

3. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 woodlawndon, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Hi Doug. What a super find. This model is the "Simcoe", the case is identical to the Jewel and Galt but with more ornamentation. The feet and lion's heads are normally metal.

I have never seen carved wood ornamentation on any Pequegnat clock and Jane Varkaris makes no mention anywhere of such in her book The Pequegnat Story.

I think you may have a very special and rare one-off, I think Allan Symons (curator of Canadian Clock Museum) would be very interested in seeing this and may have more information. Please do contact him about this clock, I would be very interested in what he says.
    Don

P.S. Also, as the dial is not signed as Berlin, it would have been produced between 1916-1941.

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is the link to the Canadian museum. Nice looking clock, my London B has some carving, but not as nice as yours. Could we see a picture of the movement, thanks for sharing.

5. Jim Hartog

Jim Hartog Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Doug,

The Varkaris/Varkaris boot, The Pequegnat Story, does mention these feet on page 80, with a picture, fig 11. They are called "composition feet". There is also composition lions heads, which yours looks to be and it is stated to be "rare" on page 80, also. The book says that the heads were made to hold rings but that rings were not always included. I can't imagine a composition ring so your heads probably never had rings. (I am looking for one ring for an "Ontario".)

Jim

6. timelyrestorations

NAWCC Member

Jan 26, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Thanks all, for the replies and information. The lions heads have definitely never had rings, that was one of the first things I checked. I will definitely be contacting Allan Symons, and will post when I have received a response.

Doug

7. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have an earlier "Berlin" (pre-1916) Simcoe with piecrust bezel and with rings included on the lions head. There seems to be minor variations of this model.
    Ron

RS Simcoe_2.jpg RS Simcoe_7.jpg RS attaching the feet (1).jpg

8. woodlawndon

NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ah yes, Jim is quite correct, Varkaris does indeed mention the composition feet and lions' heads. They are mentioned as rare and produced "towards the end of the manufacturing period". Nice to see one.
    Don

9. timelyrestorations

NAWCC Member

Jan 26, 2001
    Country Flag:
    I received a response from Allan Symons at the Canadian Clock Museum. He states that the composite material was commonly used on late 1910's to early 1920's Pequegnat box style clocks. This was apparently as a result of preserving metals for the WWI war effort. So, although this was new to me - it's not really that uncommon! Good information to have.

Doug

Kevin W. likes this.
  10. Ontime

Ontime Registered User

Nov 6, 2012
    On the Pequegnat movements - are they all nickel plated ? And I notice some are signed, and others are not . . . does the presents of a signature on the movement indicate early or late production period ?

11. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have 8 Pequegnats, 5 are time and strike with nickle-plated plates. My three time-only clocks have brass plates. All of mine are signed and represent pre and post Berlin. I have not seen an unsigned Pequegnat movement but I suppose they are out there.
    Ron

12. woodlawndon

NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The last Pequegnat I got, a Sydney time and strike from I think the 1920s is unsigned, it was the first one I had seen. Interestingly, it is nickel plated on the back which is visible when in the clock and the front is plain steel. Quite odd I thought.
    Don

fullsizeoutput_4e1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_4e0.jpeg

Kevin W. and Rockin Ronnie like this.
  13. Jim Hartog

Jim Hartog Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Don,

Varkaris and Varkaris mention the nickel-plated steel movements but I think, not confirmed in their book, that both plates are nickel-plated but only one is polished. Unplated steel would be prone to rusting. Perhaps someone else can comment on this.

Jim

14. Ontime

Ontime Registered User

Nov 6, 2012
    A question; Were Pequegnat clocks marketed and imported to the U.S. ? Notice Kitchener, Ontario is only 100 or so miles from both NY state to the East and Michigan to the West. . . big populations in both states and would have been a prime market to sell clocks.