Any Opinions on Geomagic 3D CAD Program?

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by TRR, May 19, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TRR

TRR Registered User

Aug 4, 2012
    Retired.
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Sherline is now selling a 3D CAD program called Geomagic (formerly Alibre). It seems that it would be ideal for designing a clock train. It also sounds like a bear to learn even for someone with some autocad experience. The $250 price tag isn't that attractive to me either. Does anyone have any experience with this program? Could someone with no CAD experience manage to learn it?

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Fire off a PM to David LaBounty. He has extensive CAD experience related to clocks and could advise you.

3. Stan S

Stan S Registered User

Apr 29, 2013
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have Alibre design and like most cad programs it has a steep learning curve. I am not sure what you want to make but there is a company called emachineshop that has a free cad program that is easy to learn & use. you can export your files in a dxf format and use a program like cut2d to do your tool pahs and create g code.

4. TRR

TRR Registered User

Aug 4, 2012
    Retired.
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Stan, I have been dabbling with the 2D CAD program DraftSight. For me, it is not that intuitive, maybe because I have not used any type of CAD program before. I don't do CNC. I would like to be able to design a clock train and be able to see how it all fits together before I start cutting the pieces. Geomagic seems like it would be perfect for that, but it might be too much to handle for a novice like me. I was hoping to get some feedback on the Geomagic program.

5. mpampe

mpampe Registered User

Jul 17, 2012
    Aerospace manager
    Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I looked into that and gave up, opting for free 2D software. Mostly because I don't have the patience (or maybe mental capacity) to learn complicated software. But there are times I wish I could view the third dimension. For 2D, I've been happy with the package you can download from www.emachineshop.com. The price is exceptional (free). And then, if you like the part you have drafted, click the purchase button and they machine one and send it to you - which is great for people like me with very limited machining capabilities. This software does do 3D for single parts, but you can't build a 3D assembly.

6. Stan S

Stan S Registered User

Apr 29, 2013
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    TTR, have yo downloaded the trial version? Check out the CNCZone forum you should be able to get some feed back from them or some other cnc forum. All the programs with advanced capabilities have a sttep learning curve, so if you really want to do it make a commitment to take the time to learn the program.

I have a Tormach1100 and mostly use it a as second operation machine to do repetive maching tasks, and have made some simple parts using emachine to design them and cut2d to do the g code. I just made this stand for a movement I have.

Attached Files:

7. TRR

TRR Registered User

Aug 4, 2012
    Retired.
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Thanks to everyone for the comments. I think I'll delay a decision on this. I still have a lot to keep me busy.