Any one used DelphElelectronics Clock Gear Application?

ChrisCam

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2017
England
Country
Region
Hi Guys,
I am attempting to evaluate affordable Cad packages. This rules out solidworks for the hobbyist. QCAD is free or very cheap but lacking in gear drawing tools. However Delphelectronics do what looks like a fairly useful package at a decent price which makes a drawing of cycloidal gears including escape wheels which can be imported into another CAD such as QCAD to expand upon.
Has anyone ventured down this road and how did you get along. My purpose is in the design of a clock and in particular the anchor or deadbeat design.

Regards
Chris

Daniel Keen

NAWCC Member
May 30, 2019
Country
Region
I haven't gotten to the point of meshing gears, but I've CNC'd a couple of 0.5 module gears with it. Had an issue with the program and the author fixed it super fast. Exporting the file and importing into Fusion 360 has been flawless. Made a fun little one for my wife's birthday: IMG_1200.jpeg

ChrisCam

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2017
England
Country
Region
I haven't gotten to the point of meshing gears, but I've CNC'd a couple of 0.5 module gears with it. Had an issue with the program and the author fixed it super fast. Exporting the file and importing into Fusion 360 has been flawless. Made a fun little one for my wife's birthday: View attachment 618272
Nice touch Daniel and thanks for posting, bet wife appreciated it.
One of the issues that to a point concerns me is when you use a cad program to design / draw a wheel you are not likely to match existing cutters parameters as in BS or Swiss standards or how each manufacturer chooses to make the cutters. This is fine if you intend making your own cutter and / or maybe you can just use say in your case a 0.5 module cutter.
As certain parameters are not apparently in the delphelectronics program such as ogive radius being full or 1/3rd etc I suspect you just use the appropriate module and meshing is hopefully assured. Any thoughts on this?

Chris

Richard Cedar

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2019
Chris,

I use Gearotic software ( "Gearotic Motion Gear design Software" ) for wheel design and layout. You can see some examples at www.CedarClocks.com. The software allow you to design numerous types of gear and also has a number of escapement design options. I do not find the Gearotics user interface that easy to use, but it works and you can output the wheel geometry in .dxf format that be read in to most CAD programs.

Richard.

Daniel Keen

NAWCC Member
May 30, 2019
Country
Region
Sorry, Chris, I still haven't gotten around to using these gears to mesh anything. I _assume_ they'll mesh with each other but haven't verified that they mesh with anything standardized. The support folks are responsive, though, so you could ask them for clarifications.

I would note that anything past 50 teeth or so gets' really slow in Fusion, so your mileage may significantly vary. Part of why I haven't used it (the other part being life, covid craziness, etc).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ferkor
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-