Any one collect stuff to go with there Nautical time pieces

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by River rat, Oct 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. River rat

River rat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #1 River rat, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    I collect stuff that went on the bridge like clocks and even a chart a large map I have framed and on my kitchen wall as well as chronometers and stuff the quartermaster used doing the course on the chart. Well I just picked up two climometer they tell the degrees the ship rolls and been through a typhoon were you see a climometer do some strange stuff we had one on my last ship that was like a bubble level but these are different one from WW1 and another from WW2. The Graff, Washbourne & Dunn were New York silversmiths but during WW1 made stuff for the US Navy mite clean up the brass. The WW2 one made out of some bakelite material. The lettering on the WW2 a little white model paint will fix the missing paint on the lettering and getting two wooden plauqes to hang them on the wall. One of these days mite get a US Navy sextant if I ever find one cheap. I like this stuff maybe since I stood a lot of watches on the bridge when in the Navy. On aircraft carriers they would shift around the ballast the climometer had to be zero for landing of aircraft I read some were.

uu.jpg uss.jpg po.jpg cp.jpg sp.jpg View attachment 496630 12.jpg

tick talk and musicguy like this.
  2. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi River Rat,
    I have a sextant made by T.T. Ainsley, Cardiff, Birmingham, England. Period looks to be around late 1800's. I would like to gather other objects used to navigate.
    Paul

DSCN3487.JPG DSCN3488.JPG DSCN3495.JPG DSCN3490.JPG

musicguy and River rat like this.
  3. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Nice sextant even the key for the wooden case and looks like it has all the pieces I see a lot for sell missing stuff.

4. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Since I own six marine chronometers I picked up a sextant to add to the display. It is marked J Sewell 61 Castle St.,Liverpool & 30 Cornhill,London.

I have the box, but some pieces are missing. I have no idea as to it's age.

Jerry Freedman

5. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Well got it the other day one more to go. I cleaned it up and now on the wall.

DSCF3330.JPG DSCF3340.JPG

musicguy likes this.
  6. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice display. It's good to able to look at the "stuff" we collect instead of having to put them in a safe.

7. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    I am delighted that it is not just me who is fascinated by instruments of navigation. I served a brief period in the Merchant Navy, but as an engineer, so I have no idea where this interest in how the "other side" works has come from.

Anyway here are shots of some of my collection. The first is a large gimballed compass dating from aropund 1890 which I have built into a modern box. It was fitted into a vessel built at Littlehampton on the south coast of the UK.
    The second is a boxed star globe by H. Hughes and Son Ltd. from around 1921, and finally an Octant from around 1850 made of ebony, ivory and brass by Spencer Browning and Co.

untitled (1 of 1).jpg untitled (2 of 1).jpg untitled (3 of 1).jpg

musicguy, tick talk and River rat like this.
  8. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Seen those star globe's on eBay a lot. Mainly Russian and Chinese have not seen a better quality ones like yours made in England I guess for celestial navigation. Like that Octant.

9. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #9 River rat, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Here is a large US Navy chart I got framed I got hanging up in my kitchen I am not married so I can get away with it right by the kitchen table. It was made in 1944 but updated in 1956 and made in Ogden Utah when the Navy had a lot of stuff in Utah. Has most of the places I went on west pac when in the navy even the place I became a shell back when I went over the equator you only want to go through that initiation once believe me. The photo of the Indian Ocean is about were my ship crossed the line the equator. Some times you can just look at it and see cool things you missed. Navy slang for the Indian Ocean is called the letters I O.

20140424_161605.jpg 20140424_162026.jpg 20140424_162654.jpg 20140424_163501.jpg

musicguy likes this.
  10. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Here is a set of US Navy navigation dividers. They are not that expensive to ad to your navigation collection and there is all ways a few on eBay. These are used when charting a course on the chart (map)

DSCF3344.JPG

musicguy likes this.
  11. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    On the chart I posted it has the fathoms that's how deep the water is and also the compass variations and other important info for the navigator like that one photo of the chart dangerous ground if you look at that photo no fathom marks so you mite run aground I bet on a new chart of today they know the fathom marks there now .

12. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I've recently been looking at these(as well as the AIR NAVIGATOR'S HANDBOOK), they are very reasonably priced.

Rob

13. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Here is my only nautical navigation compass most likely for a life boat off a ship not as nice as Snappers. No makers marks just some serial numbers on the bottom of the metal tub. A friend when I retired from a city I use to work for gave it to me. I got a cooler compass but it went on a British Lancaster bomber in it's packing crate larger than this one. Will post it if any one would like to see it but mite not belong here since it has nothing to do with chronometers or ships navigation got it cheap for 60 bucks at a military show.

DSCF3346.JPG

musicguy likes this.
  14. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think all compasses and similar items such as the logs qualify as "things that go with." I will try to post some of my collection of this sort of thing when I get a chance. I have a hand operated fog horn in a state of disrepair that I even think would be appropriate. :)

15. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #15 River rat, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Well got the WW1 era clinometer and got it next to a WW1 era Chelsea with the same type of issue numbers.

DSCF3367.JPG DSC_0004.JPG

16. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Love this thread RiverRat, glad you started it. Has got me thinking that I need to add a few items to my collection other then horological.
    Paul

17. Allan C. Purcell

Allan C. Purcell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Jerry-Its South Castle Street, I believe they opened the shop c1863. Thought you would like the photograph below. The first pic is Castle Street looking north to the Town Hall with Penlington and Batty Chronometer makers-if you were to then look south you would see Sewell´s down on the left side corner at the bottom of South Castle Street-it was at one time Pool Lane.The person who took the Sewells photograph had his back to the Customs House.The last one is looking south and you can see the customs house in the middle-was lost in WWII. Best Allan

Castle-Street-Town-HallLiverpoolpublisher-The-Wyndham-Series.jpg 780.jpg 3744.jpg

18. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    #18 Snapper, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    River Rat's photographs of his clinometer prompted me to post this shot of my recently acquired instrument dating from around 1860. It is by Louis Casella of London, in its original mahogany case. Apologies for the poor photograph, but I was reluctant to remove it from the wall.

Clinometer.jpg

Many thanks to Allan too for those excellent pictures of old Liverpool. These are the best I have seen depicting Sewill's premises.

River rat likes this.
  19. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Allan, are those ladies on the balcony of Sewells?

That photograph is very interesting. If you look at the gentleman behind the carriage, you can see his former self about 4 feet behind him. There are a couple of other ghost images also. I would guess it was at least a 5 second timed exposure.

20. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a "Gatty's" Star Chart for Emergency Navigation. I have it over some of my marine timepiece collection. Fortunately my wife like chronometers also as this is in our living room.

IMG_0241.JPG IMG_0242.JPG

PatH and River rat like this.
  21. CentreKeystone

CentreKeystone Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2014
    I will look for it in the mail. This will be a welcome addition to my collection of watches used on electric railways and trolleys.

I hope you have a pleasant New Years.

Philip Sauerlender

22. Brad Maisto

Brad Maisto Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    C038D3D6-E639-4469-8FCA-5A5F0CABAF7C.jpeg
    RiverRat, great topic to start for us eclectic Collectors! I am surprised not to have seen a couple of anomeric barometers so far? Everyone knows you need to accurately know the air pressure so you will have the missing parameter to calculate the “Q” quotient! I bought this several years back at a local auction, so no telling how old or if it is a “fake” or “replica” made in some third world country to deceive the illiterate American-Me! But anyway, this piece is 38 inches tall and the round dial is roughly 8 inches, sorry for the American measurement units! I have finally been able to hang this on my barnwood wall I built in my basement! Hangs right next to Bucko, my stuffed deer head wall decoration! I hope I have not offended anyone with my “tongue in cheek” humor? Why heck, last night while playing rummicub with my wife, I stated we were down to the “rubber” match or game, and this was a new phrase to her and she is not that young!
    Brad Maisto, KY Floral #44 Secretary

River rat likes this.
  23. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think you meant to say aneroid barometer, but I was not sure, so I did a google search on "anomeric." :)

24. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is my Barometer and some might need a Sidereal also.

IMG_0345.JPG IMG_0344.JPG

River rat likes this.
  25. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    I envy that sidereal Waltham.

26. Brad Maisto

Brad Maisto Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom and Paul,
    You are correct Tom, my mixing of scientific terminology happens, I hope it is not a sign of early onset dementia or worse, Alzheimer’s?
    And Paul, that sidereal watch is intriguing! I have a pocket barometer tucked away somewhere!
    Thanks, Brad Maisto

27. Leigh Callaway

Leigh Callaway Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Upper Valley, New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Steel box. The chronometers are Wempe quartz from 1976 and 1987. More on those later if there is interest.
    (sorry posted same photo twice)

Chron Box.jpg Chron Box.jpg

River rat likes this.
  28. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, more Leigh!

29. Leigh Callaway

NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    See new thread "Marine-Quarz Chronometer"

30. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #30 River rat, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Well bought a new toy to go with this chronometer. This sextant was used along with this chronometer to get a navigation fix so you know exactly were you were at sea maybe since I got a lot of time on my hands being retired and all I mite figure how it works. Been looking at these for a while on good old fleabay they all wanted over 300 to 400 for Junkers got this for under 150.00 with buy it now so no bidding war how I like to buy stuff on flea bay.
    Can't wait to get it does look mint they did come with extra mirrors and screw driver see those missing if it had them originally. But other wise think I got a deal. I guess this is from the 1940's to 1950's since it's made for the US Maritime Commission.

s-l1600we.jpg s-l16002GIV3949we.jpg s-l1600KEW7LG58as.jpg s-l1600B9RFG0UFsd.jpg

31. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    The United States Maritime Commission was abolished on May 24,1950 so this could of been made for use on Liberty and Victory ships in WW2.

32. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    I have to say there is something about sextants that greatly appeal. Having that said, I have absolutely no idea how to use them. I was an engineer; what the deckies got up to was and remains a mystery to me.

33. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    A photo when our US Navy was well trained in ships navigation god forbid the Russians or the Chinese don't take out our GPS satellites or our Navy and even weapons systems will be put out of commission in WW3. Looks like the same type I just got. I know the US Naval academy started teaching Navigation again I hope they get them good at it before it's to late to much dependence on GPS and computers that have to many flaws in war. Looks like a Carrier and a oiler doing a unrep at sea in the photo use to be on a ammo ship were we did the same thing. You can resupply ships at sea with food, ammo, fuel, parts, or just about any thing a ship needs to stay at sea in time of war so no need to go into port for supplies.

800px-thumbnailss.jpg

Leigh Callaway likes this.
  34. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Here is a US Navy barometer I all most forgot I had was made around 1943.

LzpTUT7.jpg

35. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice collection you have River Rat!

36. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    The sextant stadimeter I just bought on Ebay a get a email from the seller saying they had a burglary and it was stolen. I think some thing stinks I ask the seller to see a copy of the police report if it true I will give him good feed back if not he is not going to like it.

37. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Well the seller had no police report so don't know if the sextant I bought was stolen did give me a refund. Now Ebay has it as unpaid item a complete mess. Mite ruin my creditability on Ebay. After the refund I made a offer on another and got this one hope I receive this one with out any trouble. It's from 1946 and manufactured in England.

s-l1600as1.jpg s-l160011q.jpg

38. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
  39. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice going RiverRat, hope it gets delivered. Ha, ha.

40. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Here is a large spring loaded compass from WW2 think it went on a British RAF Lancaster Bomber it is used for navigation but in the air. I got a US Air Corp bubble sextant also used in the air and a few hand held flight computers disc type you move around to get your calculation I mite post later if OK don't think this was ever used by the condition this is in.

IMG_0030.JPG IMG_0031.JPG IMG_0033.JPG

41. Leigh Callaway

NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    River Rat: if your bubble sextant is a Kollsmann periscopic version, here is some documentation for it. From NAVAIR 01-75EEB-1 (SP-2H NATOPS Flight Manual).

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

42. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #42 River rat, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Well received it I guess the second try worked out trying to get one on eBay and lucked out has the key for the wooden case. I found some one who services them and regulate them mite send it off to him down the road cheaper than a chronometer service. And not missing any parts. I also got a officer of the watch British navy issued telescope coming that I won on Ebay in the US Navy there called spy scopes the quartermaster used will post photo's of that when I get it and it has a 1944 issue date hope the lenses are it good shape .

IMG_0040.JPG IMG_0042.JPG IMG_0044.JPG

43. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #43 River rat, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Here is the British Navy telescope the officer of the deck or Navigator would use I got incomming. When in the Navy we would use land marks from the navigation chart like when In SBU XI looking at the chart to see electrical line towers crossing the river to know were we are on the chart same thing when your close to the coast looking at mountains or light houses or other land marks on the chart so I guess this was use to see those landmarks from a distance. My Navigation collection is growing these are the sellers photo's. Just hope the lenses are in fair shape. I guess this was used for locating landmarks on the chart and ship ID and maybe reading signal flag communication. Would like to get a US Navy one down the road they come with wooden boxes most of the time but sell for way to much money. Got this British Navy one for a fair price.

s-l1600S0N7O7VW.jpg s-l1600aw.jpg s-l1600aaas.jpg

44. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    What was cool there is a light to use this sextant at night the battery's go into the handle and there is a button you push you have to hold that button down when you let go it shuts off that's built into the handle. I put a couple battery's in triple AA and she works a plus. The light built on a swivel so rotates to see your readings.

IMG_0045.JPG

45. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #45 River rat, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Here is some thing you can ad to your navigation equipment collection that's cheap they sell for about 20 bucks on eBay the Navigator would use these parallel rulers to plot the ships course on the chart with these. Got this one with original box it has a 1943 issue date. There's a lot of stuff out there you don't have to pay a lot for. I remember the chart table there would be Plexiglas over the chart and a grease pencil would be used to plot the course and a grease pencil would also be used on the status board were combat would notify you and you would put the skunks location that another ship located by radar weird how I remember this stuff from my Navy days. Doing the grease pencil on Plexiglas saved the chart to be used over and over with out damaging it. Funny how the Navy of today having so many collisions all the officer of the deck has to do is look at the status board to see radar contacts to know what's close to the ship I was on a old ammo ship made in the 1950's in the 1980's with less sophisticated equipment than a modern destroyer and never collided while under way I guess we were taught old school.

s-l1600cv.jpg s-l1600awv.jpg

Leigh Callaway likes this.
  46. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great story and thanks for the heads up on the prices for the related things.
    Paul

47. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Wish I had room in the house I would do a display with a chart table and a set up with a chronometer would be cool. Wished I put in a basement when I had my house built to late now.

48. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #48 River rat, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Three things I got for the collection I finely got in the mail. The British Navy issued 1944 telescope for the bridge the lenses were in great working order . A US Navy issued parallel ruler used to plot the course on a chart from 1943. And a British Navy chart of Gaum from the 1990's even has Polaris Point were my Ship the USS Proteus AS-19 was home ported lived all most two years there in the 1980's think I will get it framed and put it next to a photo of the USS Proteus AS-19 I have on the wall we use to call it the old pro that ship was old when I got on it was in Tokyo Harbor when WW2 ended with captured Japanese subs tied up along side it.
    DSC_0036.JPG DSC_0035.JPG

49. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great side collection you are putting together.
    Thanks for sharing, Paul

50. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Well got the chart of Guam framed getting it framed cost more than the chart. Got it under a photo of the USS Proteus AS-19 the first ship I was station on that was home ported in Guam. Weird how it seemed like a big Island years ago and you look at that chart and it's so small.

IMG_0102.JPG