Any one collect stuff to go with there Nautical time pieces

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by River rat, Oct 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. River rat

River rat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #1 River rat, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    I collect stuff that went on the bridge like clocks and even a chart a large map I have framed and on my kitchen wall as well as chronometers and stuff the quartermaster used doing the course on the chart. Well I just picked up two climometer they tell the degrees the ship rolls and been through a typhoon were you see a climometer do some strange stuff we had one on my last ship that was like a bubble level but these are different one from WW1 and another from WW2. The Graff, Washbourne & Dunn were New York silversmiths but during WW1 made stuff for the US Navy mite clean up the brass. The WW2 one made out of some bakelite material. The lettering on the WW2 a little white model paint will fix the missing paint on the lettering and getting two wooden plauqes to hang them on the wall. One of these days mite get a US Navy sextant if I ever find one cheap. I like this stuff maybe since I stood a lot of watches on the bridge when in the Navy. On aircraft carriers they would shift around the ballast the climometer had to be zero for landing of aircraft I read some were.

uu.jpg uss.jpg po.jpg cp.jpg sp.jpg View attachment 496630 12.jpg

tick talk and musicguy like this.
  2. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi River Rat,
    I have a sextant made by T.T. Ainsley, Cardiff, Birmingham, England. Period looks to be around late 1800's. I would like to gather other objects used to navigate.
    Paul

DSCN3487.JPG DSCN3488.JPG DSCN3495.JPG DSCN3490.JPG

musicguy and River rat like this.
  3. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Nice sextant even the key for the wooden case and looks like it has all the pieces I see a lot for sell missing stuff.

4. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Sep 16, 2000
    Since I own six marine chronometers I picked up a sextant to add to the display. It is marked J Sewell 61 Castle St.,Liverpool & 30 Cornhill,London.

I have the box, but some pieces are missing. I have no idea as to it's age.

Jerry Freedman

5. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Well got it the other day one more to go. I cleaned it up and now on the wall.

DSCF3330.JPG DSCF3340.JPG

musicguy likes this.
  6. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice display. It's good to able to look at the "stuff" we collect instead of having to put them in a safe.

7. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    I am delighted that it is not just me who is fascinated by instruments of navigation. I served a brief period in the Merchant Navy, but as an engineer, so I have no idea where this interest in how the "other side" works has come from.

Anyway here are shots of some of my collection. The first is a large gimballed compass dating from aropund 1890 which I have built into a modern box. It was fitted into a vessel built at Littlehampton on the south coast of the UK.
    The second is a boxed star globe by H. Hughes and Son Ltd. from around 1921, and finally an Octant from around 1850 made of ebony, ivory and brass by Spencer Browning and Co.

untitled (1 of 1).jpg untitled (2 of 1).jpg untitled (3 of 1).jpg

tick talk and River rat like this.
  8. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Seen those star globe's on eBay a lot. Mainly Russian and Chinese have not seen a better quality ones like yours made in England I guess for celestial navigation. Like that Octant.

9. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #9 River rat, Oct 11, 2018 at 8:32 AM
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 8:41 AM
    Here is a large US Navy chart I got framed I got hanging up in my kitchen I am not married so I can get away with it right by the kitchen table. It was made in 1944 but updated in 1956 and made in Ogden Utah when the Navy had a lot of stuff in Utah. Has most of the places I went on west pac when in the navy even the place I became a shell back when I went over the equator you only want to go through that initiation once believe me. The photo of the Indian Ocean is about were my ship crossed the line the equator. Some times you can just look at it and see cool things you missed. Navy slang for the Indian Ocean is called the letters I O.

20140424_161605.jpg 20140424_162026.jpg 20140424_162654.jpg 20140424_163501.jpg

10. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Here is a set of US Navy navigation dividers. They are not that expensive to ad to your navigation collection and there is all ways a few on eBay. These are used when charting a course on the chart (map)

DSCF3344.JPG

musicguy likes this.
  11. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    On the chart I posted it has the fathoms that's how deep the water is and also the compass variations and other important info for the navigator like that one photo of the chart dangerous ground if you look at that photo no fathom marks so you mite run aground I bet on a new chart of today they know the fathom marks there now .

12. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I've recently been looking at these(as well as the AIR NAVIGATOR'S HANDBOOK), they are very reasonably priced.

Rob

13. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Here is my only nautical navigation compass most likely for a life boat off a ship not as nice as Snappers. No makers marks just some serial numbers on the bottom of the metal tub. A friend when I retired from a city I use to work for gave it to me. I got a cooler compass but it went on a British Lancaster bomber in it's packing crate larger than this one. Will post it if any one would like to see it but mite not belong here since it has nothing to do with chronometers or ships navigation got it cheap for 60 bucks at a military show.

DSCF3346.JPG

14. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think all compasses and similar items such as the logs qualify as "things that go with." I will try to post some of my collection of this sort of thing when I get a chance. I have a hand operated fog horn in a state of disrepair that I even think would be appropriate. :)

15. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #15 River rat, Oct 13, 2018 at 11:21 AM
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 12:10 PM
    Well got the WW1 era clinometer and got it next to a WW1 era Chelsea with the same type of issue numbers.

DSCF3367.JPG DSC_0004.JPG

16. Paul Regan

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Love this thread RiverRat, glad you started it. Has got me thinking that I need to add a few items to my collection other then horological.
    Paul