Any known Seth Thomas 110 movement documentation

acemueller

Aug 7, 2022
Country
Does anyone know of any web documentation on the Seth Thomas 110 Alarm movement - or even a book? I've found a couple of pictures of broken 110's available for parts, but that's it. I came into one and the balance wheel was not installed; I may have all of the pieces, but clearly have not assembled the pieces I do have correctly. Any ideas? Thanks!

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Does anyone know of any web documentation on the Seth Thomas 110 Alarm movement - or even a book? I've found a couple of pictures of broken 110's available for parts, but that's it. I came into one and the balance wheel was not installed; I may have all of the pieces, but clearly have not assembled the pieces I do have correctly. Any ideas? Thanks!
Welcome to the board.

It would be very helpful if you would post photos - then it may be possible to see what you have and what, if anything is missing.

JTD

acemueller

Aug 7, 2022
Country
Thank you for your interest. Here are 3. The movement has the major front and back plates, then a little plate mid-way which holds in place (against the back plate) three gears, the escapement fork, and the balance wheel; this "connects" the balance wheel to the energy from the spring which is transferred in through the center time shaft. (Please forgive my massive use of the wrong words, I don't even qualify as an amateur...) The first (escapementGears) shows these pieces. The second (attachPoint) shows that mid plate and those gears in place; the yellow arrow shows the top of the two screws which old the balance wheel in place; the red shows the escapement fork. The third (balanceWheel) shows the balance wheel; the yellow arrow points to the little pin which I presume should engage the fork in attachPoint. But as I have the gears inserted, it binds with it... WIthout the fork, the energy of the spring spins all the gears... but perhaps there's another sequence to put the gears in. I haven't even thought yet about feeding that spring wire through the slot in the adjuster and anchoring it in the eye on the back plate. escapementGears.jpg attachPoint.jpg balanceWheel.jpg

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Yes. There should be a hole for the balance spring to be attached to. It is attached by pushing a tapered pin in the slot. The beat must be set by adjusting that pin and the end of the spring.

Jonas

Sep 17, 2020
Country
I believe I actually have that movement on my bench right now. It was running, but needs some hairspring work to regulate correctly.
I can post a few pictures if it would help. Is there anything specific that you would like to see?

acemueller

Aug 7, 2022
Country
Yes. There should be a hole for the balance spring to be attached to. It is attached by pushing a tapered pin in the slot. The beat must be set by adjusting that pin and the end of the spring.
Thanks - I'll look more closely.

acemueller

Aug 7, 2022
Country
I believe I actually have that movement on my bench right now. It was running, but needs some hairspring work to regulate correctly.
I can post a few pictures if it would help. Is there anything specific that you would like to see?
That would be wonderful. In particular, where the yoke and the balance wheel engage seems to bind on mine. (I half wonder if my long deceased dad - the person who had dissassembled that little platform - tweaked something thinking it was part of the problem.) In any case, on the picture above with the red and yellow arrow, the escapement yoke is above the red arrow. The far left edge of it is practically under the pin screw which holds the balance wheel in place. And on the top of the yoke on that end you can see a little half loop. That little half loop looks as if it is intended to keep the yoke and the balance wheel engaged; but a video on the internet of a westclox balance wheel shows the pin on the balance wheel going back and forth almost full circle, simply pushing the yoke back and forth each time it moves one direction and the other.
So that's the question: Does the yoke and the pin on the balance wheel interlock in any way? If not, is your movement still exposed enough that you could get a picture of the small end of the yoke?
Thanks for any thought you may add.

Reactions: Jonas

Jonas

Sep 17, 2020
Country
I’m not sure if I understood all of you verbiage correctly so I took some pictures of the escapement area with a special focus on the pallet fork. Feel free to draw on my pictures to show any areas that you need a better view of.

B4A5A255-B858-4CBC-BEF2-BE60A005781E.jpeg BEE8C98D-AA0A-400A-8173-A3573FB96AAB.jpeg 9EDA7C42-C203-408E-80B7-F89CD9CCFE84.jpeg F7E5CB0E-B67B-4D79-8F72-2CF5D3D42673.jpeg F79DF2C3-9743-4C32-BF5C-A2B9FEAA5B43.jpeg D7A74F9D-4428-4F73-8C20-4155961C0D5B.jpeg C192D05B-222E-4A43-864B-5C6AD531A70E.jpeg

Jonas

Sep 17, 2020
Country
Now that I look at your pictures again, I’m thinking you may have the incorrect balance wheel for this movement. My balance wheel has conical pivots and has a smooth outer edge with no timing screws.
27FED672-AAC8-4510-9E38-027E609C819A.jpeg

acemueller

Aug 7, 2022
Country
Jonas, thank you so much for those pictures! They affirm what I've done so far and shed light on the problem at hand (not counting the possibly bigger problem of the balance wheel). Other than the balance wheel issue, a couple of your pictures, especially the first one on the bottom row shows my problem: My yoke (fork?) has that little tab over the notch, but it is bent in - either through sloppy diassembly somewhere in the past or through sloppy storage (it was taken apart years ago by dad) - which probably explains the binding I got. I thought that was the design possibly to retain connection with the pin on the balance wheel...) I'll straighten that and see how the wheel turns. It does look like yours except for those screws. I can't imagine where dad would have come into an alternate wheel. Perhaps ST went through variations? (I also inherritted and cleaned up an old 124 mantle clock movement, and the book (recommended somewhere in this forum) noted that within that model there were multiple incarnations of a subassembly, the self correcting bit...) Anyway, I'll update youall with progress. Thanks!

IMG-3943.jpg

Reactions: Jonas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellaurin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-