Any information?

TheNerdyHobbit

Jun 3, 2020
Country
Hi! I bought this clock last month at an auction. The back says W. H. Terhune & CO. I can only assume the name of the clock is Garland? And the inside mechanism says E Ingraham Co, PAT. SEPT.14.1897 Bristol CT. And I believe the year is 1903. I've even searched the archives of the E Ingraham company and looked through their old catalogs. I've found nothing. I've found a clock similar, but it didn't have any information about it. There were very minor differences.

Thank you for any help you can give.

28199.jpeg 20200516_133147.jpg 20200516_133459.jpg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
The clock is a special make for W. H. Terhune and Co. and would not necessarily appear in the Ingraham catalogues. A google search turned up a number of clocks made for Terhune, who was a NYC retailer. He was the William H. Terhune who was in business with his father Henry Terhune from 1872 to 1896, and then continued the business alone after his father's death. The Terhunes were agents for Ingraham between 1886 and 1896, but undoubtedly William continued a business relationship after that date. There is a tiny bit of info. on Henry Terhune in the following post: United States Clock iron front

When you say 1903, I assume you are referring to the numerals to the right of the hand shaft. In April 1897, Ingraham began dating their movements with the month to the left of the hand shaft and the year to the right of the hand shaft. Thus, "06 03," for example, would be June 1903. That gives an approximate date for the clock itself.

So far as the patent is concerned, below is the patent document, granted to W. H. Wright for clock gearing. Have fun reading it!

[pdf]593494[/pdf]

Attachments

TheNerdyHobbit

Jun 3, 2020
Country
The clock is a special make for W. H. Terhune and Co. and would not necessarily appear in the Ingraham catalogues. A google search turned up a number of clocks made for Terhune, who was a NYC retailer. He was the William H. Terhune who was in business with his father Henry Terhune from 1872 to 1896, and then continued the business alone after his father's death. The Terhunes were agents for Ingraham between 1886 and 1896, but undoubtedly William continued a business relationship after that date. There is a tiny bit of info. on Henry Terhune in the following post: United States Clock iron front

When you say 1903, I assume you are referring to the numerals to the right of the hand shaft. In April 1897, Ingraham began dating their movements with the month to the left of the hand shaft and the year to the right of the hand shaft. Thus, "06 03," for example, would be June 1903. That gives an approximate date for the clock itself.

So far as the patent is concerned, below is the patent document, granted to W. H. Wright for clock gearing. Have fun reading it!

[pdf]593494[/pdf]

OOOH! Thank you so much! i'll look into this more!!

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karlos290955
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions