Any information on this movement?

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Isaac, Mar 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    All I can find out about this movement is that it was also created as a brass plated version and also sold underneath Revere and GE for a short period of time. This one dates to 1932. Someone stated a while ago that the movement could be upgraded to play the Winchester chimes alongside with the regular Westminster chimes, although it seems strange that these would play the Winchester chimes instead of Canterbury. Any extra information you could give me on this movement would be great!

upload_2019-3-28_18-8-26.png

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Perhaps this would be better in the Electric Horology section.

A moderator can move it for you if he thinks it right.

JTD

3. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Did some more digging. This looks like one of Herschede's "Crown Clocks" movements that were produced in 1932, which were a series of cheap clocks that were much easier to manufacture than the previous types of movements. Thinner plates and wheels means lower costs of production. Interestingly these movements played on a 5 rod set of Symphony rods (same gong block and setup as the earlier Herschede Model 10/20 movements), or 4 coiled gongs. They could also be outfitted to play Westminster and a second melody (I'm presuming Canterbury), while the Model 100 single plate movement simply played Westminster only.