Any information available for Cesar Renfer Abrech pocketwatch? t

bajaddict

NAWCC Member
Jun 23, 2010
Country
Region
Let me start off by saying that if someone were to classify my knowledge of pocket watches as being "limited", it would be a generous compliment indeed :D

I wanted to please the experts for any information that they may have regarding a pocket watch that I received off ebay. The last time that my nephew spent the weekend over he expressed interest in owning a pocket watch. I purchased this one with the intent that it be a x-mas present for him & perhaps foster a diversion from his steady diet of video games.

I've have performed tentative searches here and via google. I got nothing here, but I may be spelling it wrong due to my poor eyesight when viewing the movement. Google yielded more results..... most of the hits were for sales of this maker's pocket watches. There were also pages found in languages unfamiliar to me; little info was found on the non-sale English language sites.

The information that I am looking for is a correct spelling of the maker's name (if I misread it), approximate age of the pocket watch, and any other tidbits regarding the maker's history. I'd like to gather a little info in order to do a quick write up that I can include with the gift.

Your kind help is really appreciated!

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

Roland Ranfft

Feb 10, 2011
Wildenrath, Germany
www.ranfft.de
Country
Region
Hi there,

be sure that the brand is unimportant, but you can also be sure that the movement came from Baumgartner, a very important manufacturer of cheap pin levers:
http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&a&2uswk&Baumgartner_222
And among them a sample with 7 jewels is at least a Cadillac among Ford-Ts.

Cheap has no real meaning for an old watch. Watches are a lousy investment, but emong them the cheapest had the best increase of value. Simply remember Dollar watches: In the beginning 20th century they actually were available for one Dollar. And today a mint sample has about the value of a contemporary 50$ quality watch. They were million sellers, but only few survived until today. Simply browse ebay, and check how many watches of decent or even high quality you see before you meet one of these cheapies in runniung condition.

Moreover alarm watches are rarities among all grades of watches. So it was not the worst choice.

The only disadvantage: Pin levers are not very durable. You need to care that it will not suffer too much from wear.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

bajaddict

NAWCC Member
Jun 23, 2010
Country
Region
Hi there,

be sure that the brand is unimportant, but you can also be sure that the movement came from Baumgartner, a very important manufacturer of cheap pin levers:
http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&a&2uswk&Baumgartner_222
And among them a sample with 7 jewels is at least a Cadillac among Ford-Ts.

Cheap has no real meaning for an old watch. Watches are a lousy investment, but emong them the cheapest had the best increase of value. Simply remember Dollar watches: In the beginning 20th century they actually were available for one Dollar. And today a mint sample has about the value of a contemporary 50$ quality watch. They were million sellers, but only few survived until today. Simply browse ebay, and check how many watches of decent or even high quality you see before you meet one of these cheapies in runniung condition.

Moreover alarm watches are rarities among all grades of watches. So it was not the worst choice.

The only disadvantage: Pin levers are not very durable. You need to care that it will not suffer too much from wear.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
Thank you, Roland :thumb:

Your expertise and generosity is (once again :D ) GREATLY appreciated! I will pass this information along to my nephew along with the link that you provided :D

Having no children of our own, my nephew is slowly acquiring segments of my wife's and my collections... eventually he will probably get the whole works. Considering that he is only 10 years old, he has a real knack for collecting "treasures" and caring for them. He also has a real appreciation for older items and always seems to marvel at the age of my clocks and my wife's coin collections (passed down to her from her Father).

He will appreciate it when I include the information that you have kindly provided; I am confident that this pocket watch will be in good condition long after I have o:)

Roland Ranfft

Feb 10, 2011
Wildenrath, Germany
www.ranfft.de
Country
Region
Just to add some details about Cesar Renfer-Abrecht. Kathleen Pritchard recorded the brand. Here the main facts:

US import mark: BXY, cf here: http://www.ranfft.de/uhr/info-uscode-e.html
1898: Founded as Charles Abrecht SA in Lengnau.
1911: Son Karl Abrecht registered the trade mark Heliographo.
1920: Listed as VVE (widow) Charles Abrecht SA, Montres Simplon.
1951: Renamed to Simplon, Cesar Renfer-Abrecht SA.

And: The NAWCC Museum has an alarm watch from the late 20s, marked Cesar Renfer-Abrecht, and Lexington on the dial. So you are in good company.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

bajaddict

NAWCC Member
Jun 23, 2010
Country
Region
Just to add some details about Cesar Renfer-Abrecht. Kathleen Pritchard recorded the brand. Here the main facts:

US import mark: BXY, cf here: http://www.ranfft.de/uhr/info-uscode-e.html
1898: Founded as Charles Abrecht SA in Lengnau.
1911: Son Karl Abrecht registered the trade mark Heliographo.
1920: Listed as VVE (widow) Charles Abrecht SA, Montres Simplon.
1951: Renamed to Simplon, Cesar Renfer-Abrecht SA.

And: The NAWCC Museum has an alarm watch from the late 20s, marked Cesar Renfer-Abrecht, and Lexington on the dial. So you are in good company.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
Roland, thank you so much :thumb:

My nephew will be excited to learn that his 1st pocket watch is almost identical to one that is stored in this museum :D

The additional information is valuable as well. I will document all of it for him & it can stay with the pocket watch for future use(ers).
-> posts merged by system <-
Here is the patent (+227383)that was issued for an alarm pocket watch in 1943 to Baumgartner Freres, Grenchen, Switzerland
Thank you very much, Kurtnz :thumb:

I will include this information in the gift to my nephew :D

Renato

New User
Sep 8, 2022
Country
I probably need a new main spring for the same model of alarm Watch Cesar Renfer-Abrecht. If sambody can give information on how to get it. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyB821
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Ptolemy's Course of the Planets displayed by CLockwork by Tom McIntyre