Any information about this Eardley Norton Pocket Watch would be highly appreciated.

Lumpensammler

Nov 2, 2016
Country
Re: Any information about this Eardley Norton Pocket Watch would be highly appreciate

I tried to find out some facts about this beauty, but Google was not very helpful.

Thank you in advance,

Hayo

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Re: Any information about this Eardley Norton Pocket Watch would be highly appreciate

Looks very European doesn't it? I was looking at a bracket clock only this morning with the same signature.

eri231

Jan 13, 2012
torino italy
Country
Region

Another product of south Germany. Bavaria
regards enrico

Lumpensammler

Nov 2, 2016
Country

eri231, would you be so kind to explain this conclusion to me? I don't know anything about pocket watches, but the movement says London and as far as I know that's where my Great-grand-uncle bought it.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region

eri231, would you be so kind to explain this conclusion to me? I don't know anything about pocket watches, but the movement says London and as far as I know that's where my Great-grand-uncle bought it.
I felt it wasn't English, it isn't English in style and I don't think Eardley Norton was an immigrant who would have brought a continental style with him. He was a well known maker though so could have been used to fool people into thinking they bought an English watch.

Omexa

NAWCC Member
Feb 28, 2010
Darwin, Australia
Country
Region

Hi Hayo, for approx. a couple of hundred years the Swiss and the Dutch and others made Fakes of English Pocket Watches. This Famous Maker Eardley Norton was misrepresented often. Unfortunately even taking into account that the Pocket Watch was purchased in London by your Great-grand-uncle. it is a Fake. If you go to this post you will see what a genuine Eardley Norton looks like. https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?78221-Eardley-Norton-London-Fake-or-Not&highlight=Eardley+Norton Regards Ray

Lumpensammler

Nov 2, 2016
Country

Plausible - Thank you. Can one of you tell me anything about the markings in the silver. The small shield stamped into it or the handwritten numbers?

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region

handwritten numbers are usually service marks, I don't recognise the chevron in a shield though it looks similar to a german silver mark I think.

eri231

Jan 13, 2012
torino italy
Country
Region

I have to correct because by the smartphone, I could not see the images. are the hallmarks of Neuchatel, so it's a swiss fake. Made in Neuchatel
to take advantage of the fame of the British watchmakers.
many fakes coming from the area of Friedberg and Augsburg , there were many talented watchmakers but also many counterfeiters, unfortunately.
chevron.jpg chevron1.jpg
regards enrico

Lumpensammler

Nov 2, 2016
Country

Thank you a lot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larry Hoenig
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre