Any info on this old clock?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Kathykate, Apr 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. Kathykate

Kathykate New Member

Apr 18, 2017
    I went to see my cousin who is clearing out his father's house and we came across this clock. I took a few photos of it, we know nothing about it. I think the outer casing is metal, it is a heavy item. Would anyone have any information about it which I could pass on to him?

There is a date inscribed on the back, plus numbers. Also something scratched into the inner bottom of clock.

Size was approx. 8 inches high x 7 inches wide (doing that from memory so very approximate).

Regards
    Kate

2. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    It appears to be a French marble timepiece probably late 19th C.

It should have a pendulum if it hasn't been lost.

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board, Kate.

As Jonathan says, your clock should have a pendulum. Have a good look inside the case and see if it has got down at the bottom or stuck in corner. Even if it has got lost, replacements can be bought quite cheaply.

The scratched marks are no help really, they were probably put on by a repair man, although the date of 19/5/05 gives you an idea of when at least one service was carried out.

These French movements often had no maker's mark.

JTD

4. Kathykate

Kathykate New Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Thanks all for replies, will pass on to my cousin. Think if the date refers to a service, it would have been done in 15/5/1905, not 2005, as my cousin had never seen the clock before, it was buried at the back of a cupboard.

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes, of course, I meant 1905, 2005 didn't even occur to me...............it's called being old!

JTD

6. Kathykate

Kathykate New Member

Apr 18, 2017
    On picture number three, it shows the underneath of the clock with something scratched into the white inners. It looked like the outside was made of a different material to the inside, which looked like rough white stone. I didn't think to get a better photo, but you can just see where the outside material is and the inside material. So did they just put the more expensive marble on the outside, and use cheaper stuff inside for weight/strength? What is the inside made of?

7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Yes, all the various parts are held together with a type of very fine mortar slurry called 'slip'. Sometimes there are metal fittings or anchors that are attached with the slip too. All this weather's well and will last indefinately, or until it falls off the mantle. ☺
    Willie X