Any info on this clock

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Welcome to the Message Board! Based on the pictures all I can say right now that it is a cuckoo clock, probably made in Germany. If you show us pictures with the back panel removed, so that we can see the movement, we will be able to give you more information. Just slide that metal clip to the side and pull the back panel out.

Uhralt

ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
Bilbao, Basque Country
Country
Region
Hi,
Judging from what I can see from the bellows and movement, I'd say that it is not much later than 1950. It would be interesting to have a look to the bird and any markings on the back plate of the movement. I'm curious about the writing on the wooden back panel, I can read 'Germany'. If the movement were stamped 'Made in Germany' that would mean a pre WWII dating.
Unfortunately, your clock is lacking pendulum, pediment/topper and most part of the carved surround.

Aitor

Loveforclocks

Mar 5, 2019
Country
Thank you for the info. My grandmother brought this back from Germany, it's been hanging in a sun porch for years. I'd love to find a place to get it repaired.
The bird is blue and there is no stamp on it that says made it Germany , just numbers under Germany.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I can read 'Germany'. If the movement were stamped 'Made in Germany' that would mean a pre WWII dating.

Aitor
Aitor,

There was no requirement under U.S. law or, more importantly, West German law, to utilize the term "West Germany" or "W. Germany" or the like on products manufactured in the former West Germany. The term "Germany" was acceptable.

Therefore, one can not infer that utilization of only the word Germany (as opposed to West Germany) eliminates the possibility that a product was manufactured in the former West Germany from post-WWII through 1990. Should a product show the words West Germany or the like, then it was manufactured post-WWII through 1990. A product marked only Germany could have been manufactured in the former West Germany from post-WWII to 1990.

Regards.

Last edited:

ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
Bilbao, Basque Country
Country
Region
Aitor,

There was no requirement under U.S. law or, more importantly, West German law, to utilize the term "West Germany" or "W. Germany" or the like on products manufactured in the former West Germany. The term "Germany" was acceptable.
Of course, you are totally right about that:cool:
Notwithstanding, in case a movement is stamped 'West Germany', we can use it as an acceptable 'rule of thumb'...

Loveforclocks,
Could you please, take a closeup pic of the brass back of the movement?
About having the clock repaired, if you tell in which part of the USA you are, maybe some forum member could point you to a reliable clock repairer near to tour place. Cuckoo clocks are not the best choice for beginners :eek:

Aitor

Last edited:

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Of course, you are totally right about that:cool:
Notwithstanding, in case a movement is stamped 'West Germany', we can use it as an acceptable 'rule of thumb'...

Aitor
As an interesting addition to this discussion, Doug Stevenson (screen name zepernick) found in his research:

"When actually checking, have found no indication that "West Germany" (or similar Germlish forms such as "Western Germany") were more commonly used than "Germany" in this postwar period in the first place. Or after the 1970s in any case.

Indeed, on several hundred 400-day clocks made in the postwar period "Germany" (and "Made in Germany") was far more commonly used than the West (Western etc.) forms. Specifics were given in a recent CLOCKS article."

So, I think the rule of thumb is misleading.

Regards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larry Hoenig
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre