Any Info on a Waltham Ships Chronometer?

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by Chuck Hein, Dec 9, 2004.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chuck Hein

Chuck Hein Registered User

Feb 6, 2002
    I am seeking information about a Waltham 15 jewel ships chronometer. It is housed in a double door wooden box with a glass window under the top lid. The movement (serial # 16628897) is suspended in the wooden case by gimbals. The dial is marked 8 day and it has an interesting wind indicator that is a revolving disk that has a red area that becomes visible through a small hole in the dial when it is in need of winding. Overall it is very similar in size and appearance to the Hamilton model 22. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Regards, Chuck

2. Chuck Hein

Feb 6, 2002
    I am seeking information about a Waltham 15 jewel ships chronometer. It is housed in a double door wooden box with a glass window under the top lid. The movement (serial # 16628897) is suspended in the wooden case by gimbals. The dial is marked 8 day and it has an interesting wind indicator that is a revolving disk that has a red area that becomes visible through a small hole in the dial when it is in need of winding. Overall it is very similar in size and appearance to the Hamilton model 22. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Regards, Chuck

3. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Chuck,

What you are referring to is a Waltham "Deck Watch" not a chronometer. It was an upjeweled version of their 7 jewel car clock introduced in 1907. There are two versions: 1907 and 1926; they have different escapements. It appears you have an early one. It is powered by two main springs and runs 8 days. Movement is very rugged, and Waltham used both 7 and 15 jewel versions in a variety of clocks.

The winding indicator is important to insure the deck watch is not allowed to completely wind down.

What information are you seeking on the clock?

Andy Dervan
    Misc Board Moderator

4. Chuck Hein

Feb 6, 2002
    Hi Andy,
    Thank you for the information. Now I am wondering what the main purpose of the Waltham Deck Watches were. Apparently the 16 million serial number indicates that it was made about 1908. Did the Deck Watches of that day serve as navigational instruments, or, were they just used to tell the time of day? Are they very collectible today? The one I have is in excellent condition in all respects. Would you have a feel for its collector value?
    Thanks,
    Chuck

5. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Ticker,

They were used in small naval vessels that needed reasonably accurate time for short time. They were also used by Jewelers.

They are collectable. We can not discuss values on the board. You can e'mail me offline for more discussion. If you go on e'bay and search Waltham and look for current and completed auction; I think that you will see one or two recently sold. I think ones with power indicators (can not think of correct term right now) (number of days left) rather than just simple spot have greater appeal. Having a nice looking case and proper hardware is a plus; the external box in often missing, but reproduction can be purchased...

Andy Dervan
    Misc Board Moderator

6. Chuck Hein

Feb 6, 2002
    Thank you Andy for all the information - I will visit eBay and see what I can find.

7. swolf

swolf Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor Deceased

Nov 24, 2002
    MA
    Country Flag:
    Check this Ebay site for an unusual " Waltham "Ships Chronometer
    Sherm

8. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Sherm,

Why do you call that item a Waltham chronometer?

Ralph

9. Jon Hanson

Jon Hanson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    because of the box

10. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    It was a Zenith, not a Waltham....was what I meant. ;)

Ralph

11. Jon Hanson

Jon Hanson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  12. swolf

swolf Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor Deceased

Nov 24, 2002
    MA
    Country Flag:
    Ralph,

That why I put quotation marks around Waltham.

Sherm

13. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Ralph