Any idea who made it?

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Burkhard Rasch, Jul 16, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I saw this crystal regulator in the window of an antik shop nearby.Sorry for the low quality of the pics.The face is metal,silvered,with a convex rim section outwards which bears the arabic numerals from 1 to 12 printed in black in the style of contemporary box clock dials,spade hands,narrow brass bezel.Disc pendulum with chamfered upper edge,4 not adjustable feet.What is it?Could it be Hauk?Hodgepodge or something rare?Which plate?TIA for any coments!
    Burkhard

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      File size:
      348.6 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      File size:
      345.3 KB
      Views:
  2. lesbradley

lesbradley Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 20, 2007
    IT analyst
    Fairford, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's a Hauck just like mine, but definitely a bodge of a pendulum. Also someone's cut viewing holes in the back plate.

Attached Files:

3. Ken M

Ken M Registered User

Feb 28, 2009
    disabled
    Holiday, FL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    To my untrained eye, those pendulums look the same? What am I missing?

4. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks,both of You for Your input.Yes,I was irritated by the peepholes in the backplate allthough they seem to be done professionaly.They didn´t match with a pic in "the book".I don´t understand the extra holes next to the 2nd and 3rd wheel.What might they be intended for?
    Ken,Les´s pendulum is the bimetallic chonometer type pendulum,verry nice and collectable feature,with two wedge shaped main weights and two regulation weights of the usual shape on the cross barr.
    Burkhard

5. Ken M

Ken M Registered User

Feb 28, 2009
    disabled
    Holiday, FL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Burk! Learn something new every day! Les's pendulum is absolutely brilliant! Still not sure if I can seen the differencein structure, but I'll take your word for it!

6. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Still not a bad looking clock Burkhard.Were you going to buy it?

7. lesbradley

NAWCC Member

Dec 20, 2007
    IT analyst
    Fairford, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The second and third holes are pretty weird. I guess made by a repairer who did not know a lot about these clocks.

Perhaps there is another issue with this clock we do not know about?

8. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ken,Les´s pendulum is freshly polished,so it´s hard to see.Here´s mine:Note that the rim is split near the cross barr and is made of brass outwards and steel inwards like a temerature compensating ballance in a watch.Enjoy!
    Burkhard

Attached Files:

• 011.JPG
      File size:
      339.3 KB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      File size:
      344.6 KB
      Views:
  9. Ken M

Ken M Registered User

Feb 28, 2009
    disabled
    Holiday, FL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ah! I see! I was doing a little research on these, and got a basic understanding. Seeing one makes sense now! It's not just your every day disc pendulum :eek: Thanks agian!:D

10. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Burkhard, it's definitely a Hauck as Les has pointed out. Actually the pendulum is one found with Kienzle clocks made by Huber from 1915-1920. The correct pendulum would be either the No. 6 temperature compensating or No. 19 narrow gallery Hauck (book says Haas but that's wrong) pendulum.

What is the serial number? Looks like 31137 but would like to have confirmed. Also a front photo would be nice.

The pallet observation holes are "after-market" add-ons, and badly done at that. The right one nearly intersects with the eccentric. Have no idea what the extra two holes are for, I agree someone worked on this that really didn't know what they were doing.

11. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks,John for Your comment!I´ve hoped You´d look around.S.Nr.is 31154.As said I haven´t made up my mind about buying or not,maybe I visit the shop the next days and take some front pics if I can get out of my job early enough to find the shop open.The shop guy has no idea about the different types of clocks and wants 250Euro for each mechanical anniversary,from pre WW I to post WW II,so that´s a real temptation.Too bad the back glass is cracked!Thanks again!
    Burkhard

12. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John and Les:I did it (buying this clock) I´ll post pics the next days.
    Burkhard

13. lesbradley

NAWCC Member

Dec 20, 2007
    IT analyst
    Fairford, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I hope you got it at the right price ;-)

14. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I payed what he wanted to, 250€ in the "as is " state.Getting a new crystal for the back door is no problem ,but the dial is:It´s silvered tin,laquered,the numbers and minuterie silkprinted (or whatever You call the technic) on the convex rim shaped surface.The numbers and minuterie are allmost faded.Do You know any help?
    TIA
    Burkhard

15. lesbradley

NAWCC Member

Dec 20, 2007
    IT analyst
    Fairford, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #15 lesbradley, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
    DIY approach is re-silvering and a Supadial transfer, not overly expensive, and relatively easy to do.. The silvering kit and transfers are available from M&P.

Otherwise it's pay someone for a professional re-paint, much more expensive, but nicer. My Hauck has an enamelled dial, but it has hair cracks. If it's any satisfaction my Hauck was nearly double the cost of yours, but the glasses are perfect. That's 75 euros a glass worth.

16. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #16 Burkhard Rasch, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
    to update this old post:Case dismantled,polished,both front and rear glass replaced,built together again.It was quiet a work of try and error,as the different parts e.g.corner pieces or back-and front door were not interchangable!Had to start several times till I got it right.The whole thing looks quiet nicely,but on closer inspection you get the idea of a home made case.All bits and pieces signed with a small 4,probably as a batch number.The brass shows some spots or discolorations which I was unable to polish out.Any ideas?The dial is comming soon.The clock will then be fitted with my mvmt. No.25430,whilst the mvmt.No 31154 was built with original collums to an original Hauk base and dial and sold with the Kienzle/Huber pendulum in good working order.I´ll show the whole thing when it´s completed
    Burkhard

btw:Les,the feet of my case are-as far as I can see-a bit different from Yours as mine have a ribbed or knurled band around the waist,where Your´s are actually ball feet if I see it right (?)
    B

Attached Files:

17. lesbradley

NAWCC Member

Dec 20, 2007
    IT analyst
    Fairford, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You are right Burkhard. My feet are plain balls.

Regarding your blemishes, the tip I was given by a local clockmaker friend, was to buff with a mixture of jeweller's rouge and paraffin. I haven't tried it yet:).

The quality of brass in the manufacturer's case is poor by comparison with Hauck's usual selection. My case came up nicely originally, without blemishes, but two/three years down the road, despite a good covering in Rennaissance wax, mine has gone some way back to the rather dark patina that was there when I acquired it.

18. Ingulphus

Ingulphus Registered User

May 29, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have, although I used a light oil in one case, and a mix of rouge and Flitz in another. Sometimes the blemishes go deep enough that they can't be removed, or you get that "etched" look, as if oil or some other substance had eaten away some of the metal. It's one of those times where I have to accept it as a badge of age, and be satisfied with what I was able to do.

19. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Les,would brassing be an option?We have some galvano-plating firms around here,I used them for chrome-plating parts of an old motorcycle.Not too expensive.
    Burkhard

20. lesbradley

NAWCC Member

Dec 20, 2007
    IT analyst
    Fairford, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Brass plating brass sounds a bit extreme to me. I understand my clockmaker aquaintance uses a fixed low rpm buffing mop.

21. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    update : the original dial for that clock was pretts worn and badly "restored" and -in addition to that lost for over two years in Poland where a fraudulent guy offered to repaint it.Now it is back but still not usable.
    See what I found in the Netherlands for 3 € : slightly domed vitreous enamel on copper and matching in size , at least much better than before!
    Burkhard

DSCN4494.JPG DSCN4523.JPG DSCN4495.JPG DSCN4525.JPG

Wayne A likes this.
  22. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dial is beautiful and displays so well with the rest of the case. How nice that you have finally gotten it all together. Quite a journey on this one.

23. lesbradley

NAWCC Member

Dec 20, 2007
    IT analyst
    Fairford, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It works, great!!!!!!!!!!!

24. whatgoesaround

whatgoesaround Registered User

Jan 22, 2008
    Male
    science teacher
    south carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    thumbs up! Worth the wait.

25. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Super job Burkhard!! Congratulations and as with many 400-Day clocks, final restoration takes a lot of patience and a bit of time (in your case 8 years!!)..

26. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    latest and final solution- I promise not to raise this thread again , but I had to show- a correct period enamel dial for this clock .AFAIK these clocks came either with silvered metal dials or with vitreous enamel dials of the design shown.Since the bezel originaly contained a metal dial is was not an easy switch to change to this relative thick and domed dial,but finaly it worked out. As long as this clock is in my possession i´ll not change the dial again!
    Enjoy!
    Burkhard
    btw I have a dial assembly (dial+pan+bezel for a standard Haas clock) not needed any more,PM me if You need one , it´s free.

DSCN4580.JPG DSCN4591.JPG DSCN4590.JPG DSCN4585.JPG

Wayne A and etmb61 like this.
  27. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Did you ever take a picture of the clock with its original dial in place?

Eric

28. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Eric,nope.The original dial was tin,silvered,with a dished outer section where the black arabic numerals were printed on.It was scratched badly especially on the rim and even worst someone had "touched up" the numerals with black laquer and a rough brush making it all a mess! Unfortunately I cannot find it right now and I don´t have a pic "as recieved".
    Burkhard

29. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Burkhard,

Would you say it was like this one?

sample_dial.jpg

The two clocks in my records that bracket your original movement have this dial and pendulum 6.

Eric

30. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes , that was the dial,but much worse.It was a bit fiddling to get the enamel dial into that bezel resp. between the dial pan and the brass rim.
    Burkhard

31. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I imagine so. Apparently Hauck made a group of these clocks between serial numbers 31100 and 31300.

Eric