Any idea of the model or years made?

T.Cu

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
Country
Region
Hi, Here's my latest. The movement was good, just needing cleaning and oiling and the beat reset, but the case was pretty beat up and needed restoring. The shine is just wax, the finish is original. Does anyone have an idea of what model Ansonia it is or years of production? Thanks, Tim

IMG_8300imp.jpg IMG_8303.JPG IMG_8304.JPG IMG_8306.JPG IMG_8306imp.jpg IMG_8310.JPG

Reactions: PatH

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,

You know it is an Ansonia - I can’t help with the model, but it was made circa 1900, perhaps a fraction before or after. The style is typically English, of the Edwardian period. A fine clock, the open escapement is a real bonus.

Regards.

Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
Ottawa-Canada's Capital
Country
Region
Hello, great looking clock! I looked through Tran Duy Ly's Ansonia reference book and could not find this model. The books are fairly comprehensive, but not all models made it in.

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region

T.Cu

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
Country
Region
Hi, Thank you all! That's great to be able to identify the design description (Edwardian) as I wasn't sure about it. It was an older style I liked growing up (before the "mid century modern" look came on board).
And so also thanks for the year range estimate. I looked up dates for the King Edward VII and King George V eras, it looks like Edward reigned from 1901-1910, and George V from 1910-1936. So right, probably "Edwardian".
Too bad it's not in the books but I was really only desiring a name for it I guess, rather than "the Ansonia with wood case with inlays and open escapement", and "The Edwardian" will work just fine. :)
It is great to see that other picture of one like mine, which I saved as another example of mine. Thanks so much. Tim

Reactions: Salsagev

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
I looked again in the book and saw similar clocks like this. They were called Cabinet no ?? __?? (Not that exciting of a name). Some had the same type of inlay (what they call “marqueterie”) as yours. There seemed to be a lot of missing bits and pieces in that section so my guess yours is a Cabinet no. Something.

T.Cu

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
Country
Region
Funny! Regarding the "cabinet no. 4a" thing. That is probably exactly right! So I am content with my new name for it, "the Edwardian".
Marquetry, eh? Hmmm, time to look it up again, the difference between parquetry, marquetry, different colored wood inlays, etc which I never can remember. Thanks again for looking, Tim

Reactions: Salsagev

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cona
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff