• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

kbeeson1

Jan 21, 2015
Country
clock 1.jpg clock 2.jpg

I absolutely love this clock but I cannot find any information on it. I am new to antique clocks and any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kim

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
I absolutely love this clock but I cannot find any information on it. I am new to antique clocks and any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Kim
Kim, welcome to the NAWCC Message Board! Thanks for posting your inquiry and the clock photos. Chas. Frodsham was an 18th century clockmaker and his successors are the longest continuously trading firm of chronometer manufacturers in the world. See This History for more information.

Do you have a photo of the back and sides of the movement? Those can be taken by opening the side and back doors of the case. From the photos you posted it appears this is a single train time-only clock that has a balance wheel escapement. It would likely have been made in the 20th century and possibly as late as after WWII. There may be markings on the movement that could point to more accurate dating, but we will need to see those before we can make further comments.

kbeeson1

Jan 21, 2015
Country
Kim, welcome to the NAWCC Message Board! Thanks for posting your inquiry and the clock photos. Chas. Frodsham was an 18th century clockmaker and his successors are the longest continuously trading firm of chronometer manufacturers in the world. See This History for more information.

Do you have a photo of the back and sides of the movement? Those can be taken by opening the side and back doors of the case. From the photos you posted it appears this is a single train time-only clock that has a balance wheel escapement. It would likely have been made in the 20th century and possibly as late as after WWII. There may be markings on the movement that could point to more accurate dating, but we will need to see those before we can make further comments.
Hi John,

Thank you so much for your help. There is no way to take the sides off. I took the screws out of the back but the big plate you see is stuck and I am afraid to pry it off in fear of breaking something. Here is a picture of the back. There is a key that is used to wind it and I have no idea the type of movement you spoke about.

Again, thank you so much for your help.
PART951421960985106950122151609.jpg clock key.jpg clock back.jpg

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Please put those screws back in and count your lucky stars the back plate is stuck. If it had come off under power the movement would have been destroyed.

kbeeson1

Jan 21, 2015
Country
Thank you Harold...Is there another way I should try and see the movements? There is absolutely no way to open the sides.

Again, Thank you!!

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Wow you were so lucky today, that movement is sticky, its a really nice clock, good catch Harold. Personally without knowledge of the clock i dont advise removing anything else.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
That is the back of the movement, not a cover plate.
As Harold said, your lucky it was sticking!
The movement will need servicing. Someone has over
oiled it by the oil running down the plate. They most likely
only oiled the back ones as well.
It is upsetting to see the rate adjustment set all the way
to the S side, that is another indicator that it is in need of service.
Not all clock repair shops know how to handle
platform escapements as well.
I suspect that the feet may have a screw inside to disassemble
the case.
You do, of course realize that the queen never saw this clock.
It is a nice clock and looks well made.
Tinker Dwight

Last edited: