• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

any help appreciated

C

Chelle

I recently acquired a very old grandfather clock (I'm told it was brought out to Australia by great great grandparents) some 200+ years ago. It was me take it, or they were just going to part with it for the best offer. A dealer saw it and said it was extremely valuable, so here is my question.

The clock itself looks in a somewhat sorry state, and my husband is very good with woodwork so we'd like to restore it. We also don't know how to put it together as the ?pendulums are extremely heavy lead and packed separately. I'm told it still works though they've had it disabled for some time.

We also would like to see a similar item photo so that we can try and identify it, and if necessary insure it. This also will enable us to ensure we restore it to its original glory.

It's truly beautiful, stands around 6'6". On the face, at the top, there is an insignia of gold wheat bound together, circled by a ? wreath? of gold leaves. I have included an image, and the following post has an image of the face

C

Chelle

I recently acquired a very old grandfather clock (I'm told it was brought out to Australia by great great grandparents) some 200+ years ago. It was me take it, or they were just going to part with it for the best offer. A dealer saw it and said it was extremely valuable, so here is my question.

The clock itself looks in a somewhat sorry state, and my husband is very good with woodwork so we'd like to restore it. We also don't know how to put it together as the ?pendulums are extremely heavy lead and packed separately. I'm told it still works though they've had it disabled for some time.

We also would like to see a similar item photo so that we can try and identify it, and if necessary insure it. This also will enable us to ensure we restore it to its original glory.

It's truly beautiful, stands around 6'6". On the face, at the top, there is an insignia of gold wheat bound together, circled by a ? wreath? of gold leaves. I have included an image, and the following post has an image of the face

C

Chelle

ok face image here

Again, any help greatly appreciated.

Joe Collins

Jan 3, 2004
Country
Region
Chelle,
Unfortunately your pictures do not show much detail. It appears that you may have increased the size considerably prior to posting. If you post a 2" (50mm) wide picture it will be almost a full screen when viewed. Please try again as I am sure lots of our members would love to see your heirloom.

Joe

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Welcome, Chelle to a grate buncha guy an' gals that love clocks, questions about them, and the people who ask them. I feel compelled, however to warn you that clocks are very addictive, there is - to date - no known cure, and even Betty Ford refuses applicants. NOW: About your clock and pictures. I would also add, and strange as it may seem - a picture of the entire clock MAY be more helpful. Detail is more useful when searching info on a particular aspect or part of a clock.

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Hi Chelle,

Not seeing the complete clock case makes it a bit more difficult but I think your clock was made in the late 1700's to early 1800's, probably a "country" clock maker. I have one that is remarkably similar from that period.

Is there any evidence of a name and/or town written in the center of the dial? If it has been repainted (looks like it might have been) then this likely was painted over. Also, if there are any markings on the back of the clock movement that could help identify both the maker and age of your clock.

I am sending you a private topic message regarding possible contacts in Australia who could help you both with identification of your clock as well as conservation/restoration. I trust those will help you get it running and in presentable condition. It certainly appears to be worth restoring.

John Hubby
NAWCC 1st Vice Chair

C

Chelle

Thanks everyone, and thanks for the private message, will follow that up too.

I didnt increase the size of the photo, but rather reduced the resolution as my very ordinary cam takes high res, large file pics but will endeavour to get a better photo of it in the morning, once daylight hits.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Ah thanks, Chel: Great pix. I usually set my dig. camera to "VGA". Great for EMail and good enough resolution here. I'm not by any means an expert on anything 'specially tall clocks. However from those I've seen - I'm with "Pasti". Looks very old to me. Very old and very elegant in it's simplicity. You're very blest.

Sooth

NAWCC Member
Feb 19, 2005
Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
www.angelfire.com
Country
Region
Hi Chelle,

I'm wondering why no one has mentionned how to set up the clock yet.

I'm no expert with tall case clocks, and I've never worked on one, but you should have some basic parts:

2 heavy lead or cast iron weights
Ropes/pulleys (or chains)
Pendulum bob, rod, suspension
Bell (should be on the movement, but might be missing
Crank Key of the correct size

For more help on setting up the clock, we may need photos of hte movement.

To see the movement, the entire hood of the clock should slide off (straight up).

If you have the pendulum rod/bob/suspension, it's extremely important that you are very careful with the suspension. This piece is usually a thin rectangular section of metal, and can be bent easily. You must be sure not to bend/fold/crease it, or the clock may not run.

If the ropes or chains are not attached, you will need to ask help from others as to how to properly reattach those.

You have a very nice clock, which appears to have most of it's original parts (dial, hands, case). I suspect that you are missing one, or three finials. To check this, look on the top of the case for holes (middle rectangular section, and near the outer corners). Replacements can be purchased if needed.

Restoration depending what you want to do, can be quite time consuming/costly. To do an appropriate restoration, you may need to buy and make materials like hide glue, and shellac, as well as use may different fillers and stains. You may also need to use wood veneers for missing sections. Search the rest of the forums for help with these.

Was the clock running before you inherited it? If so, it should be fairly simple to set up.

C

Chelle

Hi Sooth, and thanks - I'm printing this out and my husband and I will see how we go. We do have two very heavy lead weights, a metal rod which they apparently attach to, a brass disc which must be the pendulum itself, the crank key which is double ended and the bell.

Whilst we don't have any cable or rope separate, I did manage to find that there's cable rolled up within the mechanism area, and it would appear ? that this attaches to the rod. The bell is in good shape, and has a lovely tone although having tested that, I now think I know why my father-in-law disconnected it all LOL! But yes, the clock was operating until about 10 years ago when he disconnected it so there shouldn't be too much we need to do.

We found the top actually slides off to the front but found no branding we could see on the back of the mechanisms etc. And if it wasn't clear from the photos, there are actually two smaller dials on the front. One of these is missing a hand and we're not sure what they would have signified as the numbers are quite worn but I'm guessing perhaps that one would represent day's of the week? I also found out that this clock was a 7 day one as far as winding was concerned.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help and advice.

C

Chelle

Originally posted by Scottie-TX:
Ah thanks, Chel: Great pix. I usually set my dig. camera to "VGA". Great for EMail and good enough resolution here. I'm not by any means an expert on anything 'specially tall clocks. However from those I've seen - I'm with "Pasti". Looks very old to me. Very old and very elegant in it's simplicity. You're very blest.
Scottie :) thanks. I've never been one to own antiques but I am finding I am so drawn to this clock I keep finding myself gazing at it and wondering where it's been and what it's seen! I do believe it probably was brought out from Scotland originally and yes, I do feel blessed!

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Originally posted by Chelle:
Hi Sooth, and thanks - I'm printing this out and my husband and I will see how we go. We do have two very heavy lead weights, a metal rod which they apparently attach to, a brass disc which must be the pendulum itself, the crank key which is double ended and the bell.

Whilst we don't have any cable or rope separate, I did manage to find that there's cable rolled up within the mechanism area, and it would appear ? that this attaches to the rod. The bell is in good shape, and has a lovely tone although having tested that, I now think I know why my father-in-law disconnected it all LOL! But yes, the clock was operating until about 10 years ago when he disconnected it so there shouldn't be too much we need to do.

We found the top actually slides off to the front but found no branding we could see on the back of the mechanisms etc. And if it wasn't clear from the photos, there are actually two smaller dials on the front. One of these is missing a hand and we're not sure what they would have signified as the numbers are quite worn but I'm guessing perhaps that one would represent day's of the week? I also found out that this clock was a 7 day one as far as winding was concerned.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help and advice.
Weight-driven clocks use gravity instead of springs. The weights go on the ends of the ropes/cables that are rolled up inside the mechanism. Their weight causes the drum the cables are around to turn, making the rest of the clock go.

The weights do not go on the rod. The rod is almost certainly the pendulum rod. The round brass disk is the pendulum bob, that goes on the lower end of the pendulum rod. The pendulum (rod & bob) hangs on the suspension spring (a flat thin piece of spring steel attached to the clock plate) or on a suspension rod attached to the suspension spring.

Hope this helps.

bangster

Last edited by a moderator:

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
It has been said, and by whom I do not know, but "Chel". "No one is an owner of a tall clock - we are merely custodians" ( not ver batim)

C

Chelle

We found it!! I'm sitting here watching my husband tackle putting our clock together, but we found a brand!

The clock is made by Dallaway & Son, and from this website .. http://www.dialrestorer.co.uk/7.html
it would appear to fall under period 1. So pasti was pretty close to the mark.

Will let you know how we go with the setup.