Any 30-hr Cottage Clock Collectors Out There?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Dave Perry, Oct 30, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave Perry

Dave Perry Guest

After a number of years gathering various kinds of clocks I'm zeroing in on the old 30-hour cottage clocks to collect. My reasons are many - space, price, age, character, among others. Is there a group of individuals (NAWCC or otherwise) who collect these things? I'm interested in purchase, swap, parts, information, and ??. Email me if you have similar interests. judamd@aol.com
    Dave

Edited to make the email address live.

[This message has been edited by Phil Schilke (edited 10-30-2002).]

2. Dave Perry

Dave Perry Guest

After a number of years gathering various kinds of clocks I'm zeroing in on the old 30-hour cottage clocks to collect. My reasons are many - space, price, age, character, among others. Is there a group of individuals (NAWCC or otherwise) who collect these things? I'm interested in purchase, swap, parts, information, and ??. Email me if you have similar interests. judamd@aol.com
    Dave

Edited to make the email address live.

[This message has been edited by Phil Schilke (edited 10-30-2002).]

3. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I commend you on your collection. There are many case styles, and unusual movements in these clocks. Plus with the different lables in them it opens up lots of areas to collect. Unfortunatly it seems there are few people who collect these things these days, unusual movements etc.. A few years ago this did not seem the case, as they sold well at Marts. Maybe you can help bring it back.

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC #35863

4. Lincolnhill

Lincolnhill Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Dave-

You might want to quickly check Bob Schmitt's auction that is ending this weekend. You can find it on the internet and even bid online.

He has two highly unusual Seth Thomas cottages. I do not remember exactly their item number, but they were in the front section and in decent condition.

Good Luck.

5. tin-injun

tin-injun Registered User

Nov 10, 2002
    Dave, I have an interest in these little cottage clocks myself, I currently have three in my collection. Started out as a Chauncey Jerome collection of various styles and then I ran on to this neat little cottage clock one day. Here is a link to view it: http://www.ken.advertisnet.com/cj1.jpg
    It has a beautiful reverse painted glass that makes the dial appear "round" but is actually looks like a very small ogee dial.
    The works are interesting as it signed and has a brass mainspring.
    These little clocks are very interesting and I feel very worth while to collect and enjoy, as a collector with all variety and styles, I have found you can fill in those small areas of your home where a normal size clock won't fit. Kent

6. Dave Perry

Dave Perry Guest

Kent, that's a nice little clock - somewhat different than the rest.

7. Dave Perry

Dave Perry Guest

The clock you saw is typical in size and shape. Most have two glasses in one door, one plane over a square painted dial, the other painted with some design or other at the bottom. They are usually 30-hour, could be 8-day, and were made in the mid to late 1800's by all the American makers plus copies made in Germany. I too am somewhat new to this so others may have additional comments and corrections. Dave

8. tomrsey

tomrsey Registered User

Jul 27, 2002
    retired
    Pacific Northwest
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cottages are neat little clocks. I have a Seth Thomas flat top with the OG base. I have been looking for its mate - the octagon top with an OG base, but haven't found it yet. This one is time and alarm.
    A neat collection - Good luck!

To see the clock go to: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tomrsey/cottage.jpg

------------------
    Tom Seymour
    NAWCC # 41293

[This message has been edited by tomrsey (edited 11-12-2002).]

[This message has been edited by tomrsey (edited 11-12-2002).]

9. tin-injun

tin-injun Registered User

Nov 10, 2002
  10. tomrsey

tomrsey Registered User

Jul 27, 2002
    retired
    Pacific Northwest
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    tin-injun, What a great little clock. What an odd place for the winding arbor. Any chance you could pull the dial and get a pic of the movement?
    I love oddities like this.

------------------
    Tom Seymour
    NAWCC # 41293

11. tomrsey

tomrsey Registered User

Jul 27, 2002
    retired
    Pacific Northwest
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I started looking through Palmer's Treasury of American Clocks and found several with the winding arbors above the hour cannon. Many, however were weight driven. There are two small shelf clocks by Waterbury that have the winding arbor in a similar place. One is a 30h steeple (page133); the other is a 30h cottage w/alarm (page 213).

------------------
    Tom Seymour
    NAWCC # 41293