Anton Büher Watch Serial # 22827

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Sean Murray, Sep 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sean Murray

Sean Murray Registered User

Sep 30, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Can someone help me in the right direction as to where this watch came from?

IMG_9208.jpg IMG_9209.jpg IMG_9210.jpg IMG_9211.jpg IMG_9212.jpg IMG_9213.jpg IMG_9214.jpg

viclip likes this.
  2. Sean Murray

Sep 30, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
  3. Keith R...

Keith R... Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dutch verge 1780-1800

Does it tick?

Keith R...

Sean Murray and viclip like this.
  4. Sean Murray

Sep 30, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    no it doesn't :(

5. Keith R...

NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 Keith R..., Sep 30, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Many collectors seek to have a quality Dutch Fake. I'd get an estimate to restore.

Nice find!

Keith R...

PS.............Side shots would show the wheel. They came as verges, or cylinders.

PS...2..Welcome to the board. This is a nice find. Graham has probably worked on
    these Dutch watches.

Sean Murray likes this.
  6. Sean Murray

Sep 30, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    i got it to work! youtubed how to put the chain on its working PERFECT

7. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Sean,

Well, Laer is a district of Germany in north Rhine-Westphalia, just to the northwest of Münster, so that, and looking at the style of it, suggests that's a reasonable origin. Although it has a balance bridge rather than a cock, it isn't anything to do with 'Dutch' or 'fakes', and it dates from around the end of the 18th century at a rough guess, which makes it probable that it has a verge escapement.

The lace-edge piercing around the edge of the bridge and slide plate was fashionable in the UK rather earlier in the century, around the 1760s, but I'm not sure how these fashions migrated around Europe, and it does look closer to the end of the century, partly because of the dial design.

Even though it may run now that you've re-attached the fusee chain, you shouldn't run it for too long without having it properly serviced, because it's possibly many years since it's been cleaned and lubricated, and old oil gets sticky and attracts dust, forming an abrasive paste which can damage pivots.

Regards,

Graham

Keith R... likes this.
  8. Sean Murray

Sep 30, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    that's so cool it's fun learning more about old things. i got another watch also from Columbus watch co serial # 102532 that i will probably post later tonight. and i didn’t wind the watch a lot just a tiny bit it ran until 630 est time us and i wont do it again ill probably just leave it alone is there much worth in these or not really more of just a cool piece of history. I appreciate all of you Graham and Keith

9. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Sean,

We can't discuss values in this forum I'm afraid, but you can post a request for opinions in the 'What is this WATCH worth' forum after clicking the link to agree to the special conditions in the blue area at the bottom of the Forums main page.

Regards,

Graham

10. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    This is quite true and Graham is extremely knowledgeable and usually right in his assessments, so I hesitate to try to add anything.

However, the 'ae' in old Dutch has in more modern times been replaced by 'aa' (although the 'ae' is still found in people's surnames). And there are many places in the Netherlands called Laar.

I just thought I would add this - it may well be a red herring.

JTD

11. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi JTD,

Thanks for the clarification on old Dutch, but I think the watch itself shows no particular signs of Dutch influence; this balance bridge construction isn't limited to just one country but is found in many European watches, albeit commoner in the more northerly areas, away from the French/Swiss watchmaking centres.

Regards,

Graham

12. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I thought it was probably a red herring, seems I was right! Thanks for your patience.

JTD

13. Keith R...

NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #13 Keith R..., Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Blame the sole attribution of the Dutch influence to me. So I need to start picking up on the
    English style traits, regarding the balance bridge.

Keith R...

***See Graham's comment on lace edge piercing in post # 7.

14. Allan C. Purcell

Allan C. Purcell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In 1815 there was a Paul Buhre working in Chaux de fonds (Switzerland) and it could well have come from that area. (Loomes) No one of that name in the Jürgen Abeler book on German makers. Anton could be another family member. Though has Graham says I too don´t think it is a fake watch-in the right hands it could be turned in a nice watch. Could you please post a clear photograph of the name on the top plate. Allan.