Antique wall clock mystery - need help

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
My grandmother picked this up at an antique store about 20 years ago. It has never worked since she bought it, and I would like to get it running/ find a replacement mechanical movement for it. (Trying to stay away from the battery unless no other options are available) As you can see it is missing a lot of gears, when you press on the closed spring the hands spin, So it definitely has a lot of issues. I wanted to ask what brand is the movement, how old is it, and also, what do you think I should do to fix it. Like I said I would love to keep it mechanical (not quartz) but I am not sure if thats possible. Anyway if it turns out that the clock cant be helped or its not worth it, its still a pretty cool clock anyway, and thanks for any info provided!

Thanks,

- Gage 5A98ADA2-7E82-4CB2-9E2A-F658158CFE27.jpeg 91103601-1B6A-4389-A3A4-E4836A60B8EA.jpeg 64F4DA03-548A-42E0-860F-A037BA6895E4.jpeg B2B93B52-8B27-40A3-955D-72BEB5430364.jpeg 4FB3187C-B93A-4385-A529-5A9C7268B308.jpeg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I wanted to ask what brand is the movement, how old is it,
Your clock was made by Japy Freres, a very well respected French maker of movements.

Their clocks are difficult to date as they did not leave clues to help date it, but I estimate its vintage to be 1890 to 1900.

what do you think I should do to fix it
Do NOT replace the movement. If you cannot repair /service it yourself, I suggest you have it done professionally.

Regards.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Looks like someone removed the entire escapement. Your only shot would be to find a good replacement movement.

In my shop that would probably be an automatic quartz replacement. :(

Willie X

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
There are definitely pieces missing… In your photo of the back of the movement you should be seeing a gear and some other pieces through that oval hole. I think you should hang it on the wall and enjoy it as art

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
I did not look closely at the pictures.:whistle:

The OP's options are limited - quartz if the OP wants the clock to run may be the best choice.

Regards.
anyways yes, my grandmother would like it to run. So I guess I have to go quartz? I just don’t know where I could possibly get an original replacement movement for this case

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
Looks like someone removed the entire escapement. Your only shot would be to find a good replacement movement.

In my shop that would probably be an automatic quartz replacement. :(

Willie X
i don't want to replace it with quartz, but if that is all I can do to get it to run then I guess I have to go that route.

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
Your clock was made by Japy Freres, a very well respected French maker of movements.

Their clocks are difficult to date as they did not leave clues to help date it, but I estimate its vintage to be 1890 to 1900.

Do NOT replace the movement. If you cannot repair /service it yourself, I suggest you have it done professionally.

Regards.
I brought it to a well known clock repairmen near my home and he did not even recognize the maker, he said there was nothing he could do.

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
There are definitely pieces missing… In your photo of the back of the movement you should be seeing a gear and some other pieces through that oval hole. I think you should hang it on the wall and enjoy it as art
I am starting to wonder if the case is not original to the movement, and in order to make the movement fit they took all the excess workings off of the movement (escapement) because they obviously did not care if the clock worked or not.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I think the movement is original to the case.

Your clock can be restored but your pockets will need to be pretty deep.

Willie X

Tim Orr

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Donor
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good evening, Gage!

The only good news about this one is that Japy made a lot of these, and it's just possible you may be able to find a donor movement. I believe these are sometimes called "tic-tac" movements, from the sound they make. The ones I have seen have no crutch, and are what you might call a direct drive from the verge to the pendulum bob.

If your grandmother wants it to run, do bear in mind that she will have to wind it regularly, possibly even every day. I have found these difficult to regulate, in the sense that they seem to be very touchy. I suspect that may be because of the direct drive system. I've also found them difficult to keep in beat.

Good luck!

Best regards!

Tim Orr

jkfabulos

NAWCC Member
Aug 21, 2001
If you look on Ebay these movements show up quite often and in fact there are some on there now.
Prices are very reasonable. I would get a replacement and see if you could use it for parts to restore the original.
Search under clock parts.
Good luck.

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
That case style was used as a public clock, I suppose the French equivalent to the English dial clock. This is a less expensive model.
You can probably find a straight up replacement movement if you look around.
The escapement would be termed "tic tac". The pendulum would be rigid with an adjustable bob.
Search "Japy movement" and see what comes up.

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
That case style was used as a public clock, I suppose the French equivalent to the English dial clock. This is a less expensive model.
You can probably find a straight up replacement movement if you look around.
The escapement would be termed "tic tac". The pendulum would be rigid with an adjustable bob.
Search "Japy movement" and see what comes up.
do you think this movement would be a suitable replacement? Is it missing any parts as far as you can tell?
F2D01BF3-52EA-4244-B57A-D0324744591B.png A774ED8B-E2FD-43DB-A0D0-D8C007CA31AA.png

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Looks as if there are quite a few parts missing. Can you show is a side view so that we can see the escapement?

JTD

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Pretty close. If you can find a close match you can take the missing wheels and pendulum and they just may fit in yours.
Check the size of the movement plates to see if they're the same size.
The good thing is the pendulums should all be the same length on these movements.

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
Pretty close. If you can find a close match you can take the missing wheels and pendulum and they just may fit in yours.
Check the size of the movement plates to see if they're the same size.
The good thing is the pendulums should all be the same length on these movements.
Yes. Thats the only thing, I am not sure if the movement has a pendulum or not. i dont think it does. But the movement pictured above is only one of four movements in the listing I found. Let me copy the link and you can see for yourself and let me know if it would be a wise purchase to get my clock running again. I am not very familiar with French clocks so your guess is better than mine.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Don't link here to any items for sale. If you want someone to see it, sent it by PM (private message). We don't allow links to active sales.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
If the pendulum is missing the escapement anchor is also missing. They are one piece in these clocks. Better to look a bit longer for a complete movement.

Uhralt

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I don't think that movement will be of any help at all. No pendulum as Uhralt just stated and it mounts differently with different plates, show stoppers ... Willie X

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
If the pendulum is missing the escapement anchor is also missing. They are one piece in these clocks. Better to look a bit longer for a complete movement.

Uhralt
Ok thank you for your advice. If I find something, I will try my best to describe and you can help me decide if it is right for my clock or not.

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
I don't think that movement will be of any help at all. No pendulum as Uhralt just stated and it mounts differently with different plates, show stoppers ... Willie X
The listing actually had a couple different movements, (I can't post the photos) but there was another one like the one above, and it had a little arrow on the backside that pointed I guess to adjust the speed, and then the other two were the same except there was not a rectangular plate it was two of those skinny oblong plates on both of them, and I figured I could take parts from the other ones and then put it all together into one clock.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If you can find an example in a completed listing (already sold), you can link to that. At least it would show you what to look for.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
The listing actually had a couple different movements, (I can't post the photos) but there was another one like the one above, and it had a little arrow on the backside that pointed I guess to adjust the speed, and then the other two were the same except there was not a rectangular plate it was two of those skinny oblong plates on both of them, and I figured I could take parts from the other ones and then put it all together into one clock.

None of those movements would have helped you at all - the one with 'a little arrow' had a platform escapement and the others had the pendulum and escape wheel missing.

I sent you a PM with a link to a photo of exactly the movement you need - did you look at it?

JTD

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
None of those movements would have helped you at all - the one with 'a little arrow' had a platform escapement and the others had the pendulum and escape wheel missing.

I sent you a PM with a link to a photo of exactly the movement you need - did you look at it?

JTD
No all I saw was a post sying to look up a thread, I tried doing this and it did not work.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
No all I saw was a post sying to look up a thread, I tried doing this and it did not work.
Well, I've just done it and it worked. Anyway, we can do it another way.

Go to the top of the page and click on the search icon (it's a little magnifying glass).
The search box will come up. Type Japy Frères...or not? in the first box and the name gleber in the author box. (If you can't do the letter è, which is ALT+0232 on my computer, just do an ordinary e and you will get asked 'did you mean Frères?'. You can click on that).

The thread entitled Japy Frères...or not? started by gleber on 19th July 2020 will come up. Click on that and scroll down to post #8; click on the link he gives and you will find a photo of exactly the movement you need.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

JTD

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
Well, I've just done it and it worked. Anyway, we can do it another way.

Go to the top of the page and click on the search icon (it's a little magnifying glass).
The search box will come up. Type Japy Frères...or not? in the first box and the name gleber in the author box. (If you can't do the letter è, which is ALT+0232 on my computer, just do an ordinary e and you will get asked 'did you mean Frères?'. You can click on that).

The thread entitled Japy Frères...or not? started by gleber on 19th July 2020 will come up. Click on that and scroll down to post #8; click on the link he gives and you will find a photo of exactly the movement you need.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

JTD
ok I got it to work. The movement I see in this thread id actually different than mine. It has a different back plate and a different escapement hole through the back plate

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
ok I got it to work. The movement I see in this thread id actually different than mine. It has a different back plate and a different escapement hole through the back plate

I'm glad you got there in the end.

Yes, they are slightly different shapes, but the shape of the hole at the back doesn't matter, the important thing is the escape mechanism with its fixed pendulum.

It's a Japy Frères tic-tac movement, which is what you want. Disregard anything with a platform escapement such as the ones you posted a few days ago.

Now that you know what you are looking for, I am sure you will be able to find something suitable.

JTD

philliplederer

Aug 16, 2008
My grandmother picked this up at an antique store about 20 years ago. It has never worked since she bought it, and I would like to get it running/ find a replacement mechanical movement for it. (Trying to stay away from the battery unless no other options are available) As you can see it is missing a lot of gears, when you press on the closed spring the hands spin, So it definitely has a lot of issues. I wanted to ask what brand is the movement, how old is it, and also, what do you think I should do to fix it. Like I said I would love to keep it mechanical (not quartz) but I am not sure if thats possible. Anyway if it turns out that the clock cant be helped or its not worth it, its still a pretty cool clock anyway, and thanks for any info provided!

Thanks,

- Gage
A suggestion: In cases like this go to Ebay.fr, which is the local eBay site. You will probably find someone selling a similar clock or movement but not listing it for sales to the US or wherever you are. Then try to talk him/her into making a deal with you. Perhaps recounting your tale will soften their reluctance. Good luck.

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
I'm glad you got there in the end.

Yes, they are slightly different shapes, but the shape of the hole at the back doesn't matter, the important thing is the escape mechanism with its fixed pendulum.

It's a Japy Frères tic-tac movement, which is what you want. Disregard anything with a platform escapement such as the ones you posted a few days ago.

Now that you know what you are looking for, I am sure you will be able to find something suitable.

JTD
Thanks JTD!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevemn
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-