Antique Tiffany early Never Wind clock needs repairs

lesley e nolan

Jan 10, 2020
Country
Greetings folks,
New here. I am a bird automaton person-- so clocks are not my forte!
I bought an antique Tiffany Never wind with glass dome a few years ago at auction. It looks like the earliest version, has the very heavy brass ball weights that hang from a wire. Well, took it to a local clock shop and they want YIKES $500 to repair it. Says corrosion etc (probably inside where battery was located)> ANY suggestions? I am thinking of listing it in my ebay shop as a repair/project/parts listing only, I suspect the retail cost of repairs makes it not worth it, whereas you clock folks could do it for yourself a lot cheaper... I figure clock experts would have a better idea of what I should do. Kind of bummed but on the other hand I would rather spend 500. on another Karl Griesbaum bird cage automaton.
I will upload pics when I pick it up from the clock shop, I had really hoped it would be a lot cheaper to fix so I wish I hadn't bought it...oh well live and learn.
ANY suggestions greatly appreciated!

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Welcome to the message board! Those clocks are somewhat rare and are worth having. What part of the country are located in? Maybe there's a NAWCC chapter near you that could offer some assistance, maybe even help you fix the clock yourself. Look at this map and click on the state to find out what chapter might be near you.

https://nawcc.org/index.php/chapter-information/find-a-chapter-near-you

Kurt

Reactions: lesley e nolan

lesley e nolan

Jan 10, 2020
Country
Well thanks for that super fast response! I am in Colorado Springs, I see on the map you sent me the nearest chapter is in Centennial, that is up near Denver about 45 minutes give or take. I will contact the name on the email you sent. ANy thoughts, if I just list it for auction as is on ebay, any suggestions on value range not working--do you think it is worth the $500 investment for me to pay a clock shop? (seems high but then again they could be right)! I can't find any accurate clock value for this one online.

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Hi Lesley,

What's rare to find is a neverwind clock that isn't corroded. If it's limited to where the batteries go it doesn't effect the clocks operation, plus you can't see it. The mechanism is very simple as clocks go. On the early models there are some parts that are nearly impossible to find so it's best for us to see what you are working with.

We are not permitted to discuss values in this forum.

Eric

Reactions: Jmeechie

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
As we cant talk values here, it sounds like a really nice clock. Could you post some pictures.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Likely you have a clock that is around 100 years old...pictures would be nice. I would keep working with the Centennial chapter. I also know of at least member of another chapter up there, Chapter 21, who is quite good with clocks. Between the two chapters you should be able to get some good advice, maybe even some help.

Kurt

lesley e nolan

Jan 10, 2020
Country
OK new here so excuse any mistakes in uploading photos. Here are a few of the clock. I am supposed to pick it up today from the tick tock shop. Sorry about value request, I just needed to know if it was worth investing in this piece...I was not expecting their repair quote to be so high but I am clueless when it comes to this. It really appealed to me but I bit off a bit more here than I was expecting... :)

tiffany never wind clock.jpg 2tiffany never wind clock.jpg tiffany never wind clock.jpg

Reactions: Kevin W.

lesley e nolan

Jan 10, 2020
Country
Here is a pic of the back side I guess the corrosion as you say is inside the bottom where the battery was located. I'll know more when I pick it up.

3tiffanyneverwindclock.jpg

Reactions: Kevin W.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Lesley i have never seen one before. Really nice clock. Thanks for posting pictures.

lesley e nolan

Jan 10, 2020
Country
Thank you guys for giving me great info already! Thought I would be waiting days to get a response, go figure. I'm a birdcage automaton nerd so I Get it! :)

lesley e nolan

Jan 10, 2020
Country
Well I picked up the clock and got a vague explanation that there is corrosion in battery area (bottom) and I think he said contact points? Bottom line he is not interested in working on it, so I suspect the high quote of 500. was a way of saying too busy no thanks.
So I am going to list it for repair/parts and see how that goes. It could be an easy fix for folks familiar with these but I got the impression he didn't know how thus the quote. Thanks for all your advice and input. I contacted one of your chapter members but did not hear back so just going to try and recoup my investment.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Lesley it is unfortunate you feel you have to do this. But i have had similar experiences.

Scot Traffis

NAWCC Member
Apr 8, 2011
parma oh
Country
Region
If the corrosion is only on the battery contacts it's no big job to wire in a plastic battery compartment. Most of these clocks that are running have had this done. Scot

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment