• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Antique Store Finds

Bostonjoe

Oct 28, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
Region
Back before eBay, my main way of finding interesting pocket watches was to hop into the car, and drive the back roads of Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Rhode Island. I enjoy driving, and on nice days, would take my old 1989 Celica convertible out for some sun. It was a splendid way to spend the day.

I eventually developed several routes that would bring me to 2-5 different stores. Most of these trips ended up with no finds, but looking at antiques is always fun. Once Ebay came about in1995, these trips became less frequent, but I still get in five trips or so a year.

Last Friday, I spent the day in Southern New Hampshire. At an antique store in Amherst, I came across a 18 Size, private label Illinois KWKS pocket watch in good working order. It has a handsome 5oz silver hunter case, and a very low serial number. I snapped it up, and thought that was it for finds for that day.

But, an hour later in Northwood NH, I came across a 1870 KWKS Waltham in its original silver hunter case. Along with that watch was a 1865 PS Bartlett in a silveroid open face case. Both watches were very reasonable priced, and ended up joining my collection. Once I got home, it turned out that the 1865 Waltham was actually a hunter case movement, that had been jammed into the open face case. I will eventually mount that movement to an age appropriate hunter case. As with the previous watch, both of these Walthams were in good working order. Total outlay for all three watches was less than $500.

Anyone else have any interesting antique store finds? I would love to read about them. I have attached photos of the three watches from the NH excursion. Happy Holidays everyone.

2da614a26593fea2057df0aeaa05deea.JPG 9c1cdd2dbed61fbe3a1fd2b5c0cb60c8.JPG bbbb6b09e27a2d9836882296fa7dd79c.JPG da31d6f64b715372df54aaf2385138f4.JPG e2979440b85f5e2833334c4e5ecd1696.JPG fad60a0bbfdb9eb919ea72a6b52269fa.JPG

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I used to look all the time at Antique stores we have (or had) quite
a few in my area. Unfortunately, my experience has been that
they think what they have is worth so much more than it is.
Their prices seem too high.

I'm glad you did so well.

Rob

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Donor
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
I used to look all the time at Antique stores we have (or had) quite
a few in my area. Unfortunately, my experience has been that
they think what they have is worth so much more than it is.
Their prices seem too high.

I'm glad you did so well.

Rob
Indeed, Rob. The only chance of getting a good deal from an antique shop is to find an item that they have inadvertently undervalued out of ignorance to such a degree that it compensates for their usual high markup. Since most antique dealers know relatively little about pocket watches, this can certainly happen, but the kinds of watches I collect turn up so seldom in these venues that if I at all valued the time I would need to spend in finding such "bargains," they would actually be prohibitively expensive for me, unless I just happened to be passing by anyway. When I am on vacation somewhere, I will ocassionally visit antique shops, but that is almost the only time I ever do it anymore. When I am in Gettysburg, I always visit three particular antique shops there, but since I collect Civil War provenance watches, among other things, my chances of finding something relevant are greatly improved there. While there are many advantages to specializing and sticking to strong collecting themes as I do, the efficacy of visiting general antique shops is reduced when you specialize.

Last edited:
Reactions: musicguy

Girl59

Oct 31, 2021
Country

Girl59

Oct 31, 2021
Country
Back before eBay, my main way of finding interesting pocket watches was to hop into the car, and drive the back roads of Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Rhode Island. I enjoy driving, and on nice days, would take my old 1989 Celica convertible out for some sun. It was a splendid way to spend the day.

I eventually developed several routes that would bring me to 2-5 different stores. Most of these trips ended up with no finds, but looking at antiques is always fun. Once Ebay came about in1995, these trips became less frequent, but I still get in five trips or so a year.

Last Friday, I spent the day in Southern New Hampshire. At an antique store in Amherst, I came across a 18 Size, private label Illinois KWKS pocket watch in good working order. It has a handsome 5oz silver hunter case, and a very low serial number. I snapped it up, and thought that was it for finds for that day.

But, an hour later in Northwood NH, I came across a 1870 KWKS Waltham in its original silver hunter case. Along with that watch was a 1865 PS Bartlett in a silveroid open face case. Both watches were very reasonable priced, and ended up joining my collection. Once I got home, it turned out that the 1865 Waltham was actually a hunter case movement, that had been jammed into the open face case. I will eventually mount that movement to an age appropriate hunter case. As with the previous watch, both of these Walthams were in good working order. Total outlay for all three watches was less than $500.

Anyone else have any interesting antique store finds? I would love to read about them. I have attached photos of the three watches from the NH excursion. Happy Holidays everyone.

View attachment 682929 View attachment 682930 View attachment 682931 View attachment 682932 View attachment 682933 View attachment 682934
So glad your day was enjoyable and finds good. Oh, how I'd love to be driving the roads up there. No good antique store purchases for me yet. Hoping, as was pointed out, that I can happen on some being sold by a not-knowledgeable dealer. Most of all, love your phraseology...and I'll be borrowing it for when I reveal a new acquisition to my husband LOL. Rather than, "I bought...," will adopt an innocent expression and say, "This watch joined my collection today." :)

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Nice scores indeed. And that Illinois has a very low, and very cool, serial number. Plus, it being in a 5oz case takes it up a notch in value, and beyond the extra ounce or two in silver value. And it looks to be in excellent condition. I think the serial number on the Bartlett puts it in the Civil War category too, yes? It's definitely close anyway. Congrat's.

watchbob

NAWCC Member
May 8, 2009
Spencerville Ohio & Winter Haven Florida
Country
B W Raymond serial # 319 - purchased at antique store in Winter Haven Florida - didn't even bargain with him on his $150 price - Owner. said he was knowledgable - I don't think he ever opened it - he said I just have some silver old key wind watches in the case - almost didn't look at them ! ( sorry I don't have any Photos right now )

watchbob

NAWCC Member
May 8, 2009
Spencerville Ohio & Winter Haven Florida
Country
B W Raymond serial # 319 - purchased at antique store in Winter Haven Florida - didn't even bargain with him on his $150 price - Owner. said he was knowledgable - I don't think he ever opened it - he said I just have some silver old key wind watches in the case - almost didn't look at them ! ( sorry I don't have any Photos right now )
forgot I'd shared pictures in the forum sometime earlier - found it but don't know how to attach it here

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Unfortunately, my experience has been that they think what they have is worth so much more than it is.
The only chance of getting a good deal from an antique shop is to find an item that they have inadvertently undervalued out of ignorance to such a degree that it compensates for their usual high markup.
Largely for the above reasons I do not make special "hunting trips" to antique shops, but will look when I come across them. I have relied more on NAWCC events, NAWCC members, eBay and a few auction houses that include on-line bidding for most of my new additions. That said, I did recently find this 10-size 21-jewel Keystone-Howard at an antique store for a reasonable price.
10s_6569f2.jpg 10s_6569m.jpg

Rodney Leon

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2020
Country
Also way before eBay, I Bought this at the Denver Antique shop on Broadway, Jun 20, 1975, For $50.00. The chain was broken, which I repaired, It works fine but runs 5 minutes off in 24 hours. Thought it was neat and could not just pass it up. Double case 48mm Pocket Watch Hallmarked 1815, Movement marked R 1812. Key wind, Key set, Movement Serial number 6765 with Dust cover.Gilt Finish Pinned Plates handmade. Flat Dial, Gold Spade Hands, Open face double case bullseye crystal.

DSC_0090.JPG DSC_0093.JPG DSC_0096.JPG

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Donor
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
Largely for the above reasons I do not make special "hunting trips" to antique shops, but will look when I come across them. I have relied more on NAWCC events, NAWCC members, eBay and a few auction houses that include on-line bidding for most of my new additions. That said, I did recently find this 10-size 21-jewel Keystone-Howard at an antique store for a reasonable price.
View attachment 683069 View attachment 683070
On thinking about it, I realized that there is actually a third way you can find bargains at an antique shop, which unfortunately does not apply to me: A lazy and/or low-information seller may often part with a non-running watch cheaply, so if you are a competent watchmaker, which is a skill I never developed, then it could pay you to buy such watches.

pmurphy

Aug 26, 2020
Country
Today I picked up a pocket watch and an antique shop, one of four that were available.

The watch is an Elgin grade 81 model 1 13j key wind. Not a bargain and I probably overpaid for it but I wanted a key wind watch which I didn't have yet to compliment my modest collection. Also the shop was over an hour's drive and I didn't want to go home empty-handed again as I was at this same shop during Halloween. I did want to get a watch somewhere else besides Ebay for a change. The watch runs and keeps great time. The other three watches (Two Hampdens and an Illinois I think) also ran well and one of the Hamptons was recently serviced but they wanted too much money for that one in my opinion.

I have had zero luck with any other antique shops in the past but that's a topic for another post.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country

pmurphy

Aug 26, 2020
Country
Here it is: As you can see here the crystal is not cracked but chipped. I would like to replace it at some point if that is possible. Also the rear case lid does stay closed but just barely as it's probably worn out. Other than that it's in remarkably good condition.

20211205_102304.jpg 20211205_102455.jpg 20211205_105532.jpg 20211205_102420.jpg

Reactions: Rodney Leon

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country

Forum statistics

Threads
Members