Antique skeleton fusee clock original or repro? Help!!

Logan2468

Jul 10, 2013
Ok so I need some info on this. An extraordinary Fusee skeleton clock. What I need to know IS IT ORIGINAL OR A REPRO? The dial may be Sterling silver but I'm not sure. The bell is silver looking as well and even has pitting indicating age. On the plates in the 5th picture you can see file marks on the case indicating it was hand made. Even has cursive letters "OSR". Any ideas on age and maker? Has a standard escapement with a 1 hour strike. Any more information on this would be GREAT! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Deceased
Aug 24, 2000
Region
I can only comment on the screw fasteners: they are not of the old style and appear to be post WWII plated fasteners. One would anticipate old blackened or blued "cheese-head" or "pan-head" machine screws. The screw pitch should be BA, not metric.

The close-up photo of back side of plate reveals lack of hand finishing to remove casting flash.

Logan2468

Jul 10, 2013
So do you believe the clock to be post WWII? A friend purchased it today and just wanted some info on it.
Regards,
Logan

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
I hope your friend didn't pay too much for it.
It is a neat clock. You'll notice that the corrosion
on the plate is also not in a typical place where
corrosion might naturally occur and that the fuse
drum has a end piece that is stamped, rather than
turned. Note that the drum looks stamped rather
than turned as well.
Tinker Dwight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HIltonD