• Rare and hard to find

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • In the middle

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Daniel82

May 4, 2019
Country
Hello everyone my names Daniel. I'm new to the site and was looking for some information on a clock I found cleaning out granny's attic.

I've done some research and haven't found a lot.

It's a Linden 8053 31 Day Wall Clock
It's stamped made in Japan on the back and its on the front face of the clock. Directly below the 6 it's printed made in japan in all lower case letters.

Can someone please be able to give me an idea of this clock history. What year was it made in, I'm so clueless.....

Thanks for your time and hope to learn more about this clock. I find its mechanics quite interesting myself.
#CLOCKDUMMY

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
made in japan in all lower case letters.
Welcome to the board.

Just to be picky, those are upper case letters, not lower.

As you know, your clock is made in Japan and as to the date, it is hard to be sure. It is relatively modern, in that it was likely made between about 1960-1980, possibly even more recently, but in a style which harks back to an earlier time. It is certainly not an antique.

These clocks were made in their thousands and in many different styles. You can look on line and see the vast assortment of Linden clocks and you can see from the sold listings on E-Bay the prices they fetch.

Hope this helps a little.

JTD

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Hello everyone my names Daniel. I'm new to the site and was looking for some information on a clock I found cleaning out granny's attic.

I've done some research and haven't found a lot.

It's a Linden 8053 31 Day Wall Clock
It's stamped made in Japan on the back and its on the front face of the clock. Directly below the 6 it's printed made in japan in all lower case letters.

Can someone please be able to give me an idea of this clock history. What year was it made in, I'm so clueless.....

Thanks for your time and hope to learn more about this clock. I find its mechanics quite interesting myself.
#CLOCKDUMMY
Welcome to the board, Daniel.

The following link has some information on the history of Linden. I can not verify the information in the link, other than to say that one of our esteemed moderators / administrators, could be related to the Linden clock family:D.

History of Cuckoo Clock Mfg Co.

Regards.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I with JTD, late 1960s is my guess. It will likely have a round brass, or nickel plated, movement. The access cover on the back is to allow beat setting and it probably had a paper on the back with instructions on how to set the beat. These clocks were sold in large numbers in department stores and mail order catalogue houses. Willie X

katroll376

Apr 18, 2021
Country
Welcome to the board.

Just to be picky, those are upper case letters, not lower.

As you know, your clock is made in Japan and as to the date, it is hard to be sure. It is relatively modern, in that it was likely made between about 1960-1980, possibly even more recently, but in a style which harks back to an earlier time. It is certainly not an antique.

These clocks were made in their thousands and in many different styles. You can look on line and see the vast assortment of Linden clocks and you can see from the sold listings on E-Bay the prices they fetch.

Hope this helps a little.

JTD
I have this very same clock but my problem is that the pendulum came off as well as a silver rod. I'm assuming the pendulum hangs from this. We've taken the clock apart and cannot find where this rod attaches. It is a hook on one end and an eye on the other. I hope someone can help as I would hate to trash this clock. I believe it was purchased by my late husband in the 70's

katroll376

Apr 18, 2021
Country
I have this same clock Daniel and the pendulum and the arm it hangs from came off. Any idea where the arm attaches? we've taken it apart and cannot find its home. Kathy

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I have this very same clock but my problem is that the pendulum came off as well as a silver rod. I'm assuming the pendulum hangs from this. We've taken the clock apart and cannot find where this rod attaches. It is a hook on one end and an eye on the other. I hope someone can help as I would hate to trash this clock. I believe it was purchased by my late husband in the 70's

Welcome to the board.

Happy to help if possible but it would be much easier if you could post photos of what you have.

The pendulum consists of a rod with a round bob on one end and a hook on the other end. (I think this is what you mean by 'pendulum and silver rod') The hook attaches to the suspension spring. I am not sure from your message what you think is missing, but if yo can post photos of what you have I am sure it will become clear.

JTD

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I have this same clock Daniel and the pendulum and the arm it hangs from came off. Any idea where the arm attaches? we've taken it apart and cannot find its home. Kathy
You have now got two threads on this clock, which is very confusing. I have replied to your other thread. As I have said, please post photos of what you have so that we can understand each other properly.

JTD

Reactions: new2clocks

Royce

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Country
Region
Kathy, first and foremost; welcome to the Message Board. I note that Daniel hasn't visited the MB in about 2 years so he may not be following it anymore.

If you can provide a picture of the pendulum & arm, your question can be accurately answered since the Japanese movement manufacturer is not known/stated.
Royce

edit: I see JTD beat me to the punch with the same request for a photo.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I have moved the duplicate posts from another thread into this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny_foskey
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre