• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Antique Ingraham Reverie black mantle clock dial restoration

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
West Hartford, Connecticut
Country
Region
Recently acquired this black mantle clock, the dial is black with brass hands and green (or at least appears to be) numerals. I wanted to know if there is a way to restore this dial, as a lot of the paint is flaking off off it and the numbers are not very legible. Or, am I better off leaving the dial alone?

- Gage Robertson
0978DF1E-65DD-4D3C-863A-9A00AF5F2585.jpeg

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
Send a picture via e-mail to Dan McCann. He can fix it for you reasonably. timeguardian427@yahoo.com
The other clock you posted he can fix that one too.
Yes he has fixed dials for me in the past. I was hoping to do some dial repair myself, as I can't usually afford to send them out to him. And if I decide I want to, I end up putting the project on the backburner for a couple months until it gets finished. I was just looking if there is something I can do to the numbers on the dial so that they are more easily visible to the eye.

Thomas Sanguigni

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2018
www.secondhandclockshop.com
Country
Region
You may want to do some stop gap cleaning, but it looks pretty rough. If you cannot see the dial from ten feet away, what good is it? Is the dial paper with gold numbers? Dan can also put a fresh glass in too. When I do these restorations, I get the dial in the mail first. While it is in his shop, I get my other work complete. Boom, it goes back to the customer.

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
You may want to do some stop gap cleaning, but it looks pretty rough. If you cannot see the dial from ten feet away, what good is it? Is the dial paper with gold numbers? Dan can also put a fresh glass in too. When I do these restorations, I get the dial in the mail first. While it is in his shop, I get my other work complete. Boom, it goes back to the customer.
You are right. Thanks

Times

Aug 29, 2020
Country
Region
I also have almost an identical clock / case (same Ingraham movement inside). The dial is in excellent shape, the case itself is also in good shape, but the case top needs repainting. Where do I get this type of black paint to repaint just the top surface?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracy K
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Steven Thornberry