• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Antique H. Montandon

mshenry

New User
Dec 8, 2012
I have my great- grandfather's pocket watch. It has the bezel that held the crystal and opened but the bezel hinge and the crystal are broken. The fob has coral 'posts'.
My great grandfather was from England. I have a photo of him circa 1900 with the fob clearly visible.
I am trying to get an idea of worth. I have been told that the movement is not valuable, and I have been told they are. I have been told it is solid gold, and that is is "rolled gold". I have been told $200 to $900 usd.
Finally, the last person who repaired antique US pocket watches told me to look here for someone familiar with European watches.

Attachments

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Welcome to the board.

Your pictures are a bit unclear and hard to read. Could you possibly post some sharper pictures and include some of the inside of the lids.

It appears your watch is a swiss made watch from the last part of the 1800:eds. It has an anchor escapement but I can not tell if there are jewels in the bearings.... (Sharper pictures please)

You may want to inform your watchmaker that we do not do valuation here. You could however go to the following page where you will get some help for a modest fee:
https://mb.nawcc.org/forumdisplay.php?309-What-is-this-watch-worth

If it is gold, gold rolled, guiled or anything else is possibly possible to say after reading stamps inside the lids.

One very nice feature though is that you have what appears to be the original key. Keep it safe!

Squite

Jun 26, 2012
Seattle, WA, USA
Country
Region
The Le Locle engraved on the dustcap gives it away....it's Swiss for sure. H. Montandon has registered a number of different marks over the years, all out of either Le Locle, Switzerland (1880-1900) or later out of La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland (1911). Furthermore, the F(ast)/S(low) on the adjustment index tells you it was made specifically for export to the English speaking market (Aikin, Lambert and Co. out of New York also registered the Montandon name, as importers).

Can't say anything about the case until we see better photos of it, but often times Swiss case makers tended to use a gilt copper dustcap, even on solid gold cases.

mshenry

New User
Dec 8, 2012
on the back cover of the working is the number 58742. ( I can upload full size photos if needed) on the front of the actual watch case back is on the top the numbers 27368 and on the bottom of that case 58742. My email is accessable if you want more resolution in the photos

mshenry

New User
Dec 8, 2012
I have an appointment and have taken some other photos. I will upload later. If you are talking about jewels as in ruby etc, no there are none visible.

artbissell

NAWCC Member
Dec 4, 2009
Boulder, CO Foothills
Region
Here a 20+ year newer one. Property of a friend. Good finisher not an original designer and maker like a high grade Swiss producer; looks like the best but a simple calendar (not perpetual} and simple repeater. About 1/10 value of similar looking perpetual calendar, split second chronograph minute repeater by Patek. This older one will have about 1/2 value of this 1/4 repeater which would end up being about twice 18k case scrap value. That is actually how my max. ebay bid usually succeeds for fine Swiss gold ones.

IMG_7514a.jpg IMG_7517a.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB767
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent