Antique German Cuckoo clock ID please

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by matthiasi, Mar 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. matthiasi

matthiasi Registered User

Dec 3, 2010
    Clock Repair & Restoration
    Kelowna
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can someone ID the logo on this rear plate of an antique / vintage Cuckoo clock?
    P1140270.jpg P1140269.jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    I feel sure I've seen this SE logo before but at the moment I can't remember where. I'll keep looking.

JTD

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    #3 Steven Thornberry, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Similar, but only that, to the logo of Erhard-Robert Schlenker, early 20th century, who did make cuckoos.

We have seen it before, here.

4. matthiasi

Dec 3, 2010
    Kelowna
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you could keep looking I'd appreciate it. I have never run across it before. I'm thinking late 1900's to early, pre WW1, looking at the clock.
    The single clicks on both ratchet wheels have worn down "to the bone", so to speak. The ratchet wheels have "square" notches for the clicks. Looks like I'll have to fabricate these, as the early Regula & Herr clicks are the incorrect size.

5. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Thanks Steven, I knew it had been here before. My thoughts also turned immediately to one of the Schlenkers, but I feel somehow a bit unconvinced. Why did they not (apparently) link this mark with their name in any of their other clocks (that I know of).

I wonder if E-R Sch. may have used this mark just on movements that he bought in? I have absolutely no evidence for this but it might fit the facts (although if he was reluctant to put a 'normal' E-R. Schlenker mark on, why mark it at all?)

But until I or someone can come up with something better, I guess we can say 'probably' E-R. Sch. but I would like to be more certain. But at least he did deal in cuckoos.

JTD

6. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    IIRC, other makers used different logos on movements than were used on labels, adverts, etc. So, perhaps here. But, I agree, I would like to be more certain.

7. matthiasi

Dec 3, 2010
    Kelowna
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  8. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    I believe only that it is possibly Erhard-Robert Schlenker, but I am far from certain.

9. matthiasi

Dec 3, 2010
    Kelowna
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Steven

10. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Regula 01, could be as late as 1950 but probably between the wars. Should have 420 gm weights.
    I have a Regula 20 (rack & snail) from 1956, also with 420 gm weights.
    Hard to date a cuckoo without paperwork or clear memories of the original owner. Ball-park is often the best you can do.
    Willie X