Antique Ansonia clock - what is it?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by MaryP2219, Dec 29, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check it out in the NAWCC Events forum:
    Talk about the upcoming National Meeting
    If you love watches or clocks you've got to come!
  1. MaryP2219

MaryP2219 New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    New to clocks but I love so many of them. My dad had this Ansonia clock. I'd like to find out any information about it. I need to get it repaired - any suggestions on how I find a reputable person in the Pinellas County area of Florida that I can trust this clock to repair for me? It's been in the family since originally purchased.

ANY help is appreciated.
    Thank you 79856.jpg

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice clock Mary.I am sure someone here can help you with this.If you were closer to me i could do this for you.:):)

3. MaryP2219

MaryP2219 New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Thanks for responding - I'm so excited to find this site.

4. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    There is a chance Mary, that your Ansonia "Gingerbread," "Kitchen" or "Parlor" style mantel clock may still have its paper labeled series name on the back of the case.

The period in which Ansonia offered these clocks, they were usually given common names of persons or places and offered to retailers in crates of several similarly styled cases each with a unique name.

Knowing the name it is possible to learn the original catalog illustration date and the suggested retail price.

Happy 2011 :Party: :Party: :Party:

5. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Mike306p/Ansoniaman Registered User

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently retired Police Officer 40 years
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi MaryP2219 and welcome to the NAWCC messgae board. I looked in my Tran Duy Ly book of Ansonia Clocks and Watches and could not find your model. That is not to say that it isn't an Ansonia clock , as many are not shown in the book. I looked in the wooden case clock section and I found none close to the looks of your clock. Good luck and let us know if you find out anything about your clock. Mike

6. Don DeMarcus

Don DeMarcus Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 Don DeMarcus, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
    MaryP2219

Your clock is called Derby and first came out in the Ansonia line in 1894.

Yours looks very well taken care of.

If you do not intend to run it I would just simply enjoy it.

Keep it in the Family and include all the history that you know in side the clock and keep it orignal, do not chance the movement or any parts.

I beleive that the glass could be chosen at the time of purchase. Your glass was also shown in a different clock dated 1901 call the KING, also the clock called OREGON 1886, looks like most of the other clock that has your same glass were from 1886 several more were from the 1894.

Enjoy it for ever. 79889.jpg 79890.jpg

7. MaryP2219

MaryP2219 New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Should I fix it?

Everyone - thanks for the info. Don - I'm so excited to see a name here. I DO plan to keep it in my family. Unfortunately it doesn't work any more. Should I have it repaired? It doesn't really matter to me that it doesn't work. I just thought it would be good to have it fixed. If that's going to mess it up - then I don't want to do it.
    Unfortunately there isn't any paperwork with it at all.

8. Don DeMarcus

Don DeMarcus Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Should I fix it?

Mary
    I have several clocks just setting around not running and I admire them just as much as the one and only one I keep running.

I would not fix it if you are not going to run it but remember it is only a 8 day clock and will require it to be wound every 8 days.

You can just wind the right side and that will keep the time the left side is for a gong sound at the hour and half hour.

Did the name mean anything to you? DERBY

Horse race or what?

The history is what you know about the clock, just pass it on with the history you know.

9. Bradford Needham

Bradford Needham Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Retired software researcher
    Portland, Oregon, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Today I purchased a clock similar to your clock, which has suffered what looks like a craft make-over (including spray-painting, face decoration, and interior papering). I mention my clock because it has the remains of the same glass painting as your clock. The upper gingerbread seems to have been removed at some point, but the lower gingerbread and molding look very similar to yours. The un-re-painted part of the face reads (in all caps) "Manufactured by Ansonia Clock Co., New York, United States of America." The back paper label is barely readable, and says in large letters "DERBY". Mine is an alarm version. Your clock is in fantastic shape! I hope mine shows the opposite end of that spectrum.

20181031_163636B.jpg 20181031_163702BEnhanced.jpg