Antique 14kt gold Pery pendant watch

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Debra Olson Hedke, Oct 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Debra Olson Hedke

Debra Olson Hedke New Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Hi, I'm new to the forum. I acquired a beautiful 14kt gold Pery little pendant watch some time ago. I've been searching high and low for anyone who may have seen another one like it and or may have information on it. I am enclosing pictures of the inside and outside of the watch. It works great and I love it but would like to know more about it, if possible. Thanks Deb IMG_20191001_140500491_HDR.jpg IMG_20191001_140119391_HDR.jpg IMG_20191001_140004494_HDR.jpg IMG_20191001_140104220.jpg

viclip likes this.
  2. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Debra and welcome to this board.I would date the watch to the 1940's or 50's. Pery was a "private label", a business that had these made and cased and then sold them in the US.

The JXL mark is that of the importer which I cannot ID until I find a listing and it still may not be listed.

There is a mark under the balance wheel which is obscured but it is the maker of the movement. It is marked "Unadjusted" to reduce the import tariff. It is a basic ladies wrist watch movement cased in a novelty case.

It is probably near 14K gold but the mark has almost no legal significance. in the US, gold marked at 14 was rarely better than 13.5. The case is US made. Foreign gold usually has hallmarks

If you are going to wear it a lot it should get a service which should not be too hard since it is fairly modern watch. It would probably benefit from a crystal replacement. The dial has a yellow cast to it. If ths the dial color and crystal is clear, no problem but if the crystal has yellowed, it has to be replaced. When this happens, the gas from tehe crystal rusts parts of the watch.

It is good quality watch and I hope you continue to enjoy it.

3. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The "JXL" U.S. import code according to the Ranfft site is associated with "J. Lipschutz Co., Le Phare, Sultana"