• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Ansonia

Nawcc123#

Dec 17, 2018
Country
I have lengthened the spring and hook to the bottom of the adjustment and the adjustment on the bob is also at its end. It now has no furtur cearance for adjustments. The good news is that it is keeping good time. Would a heavier bob allow for adjustments in the future. I was also told that I might have some ability to adjust the verge to some effect.

IMG_20211024_094721.jpg

Grant Perry

NAWCC Member
Jun 5, 2002
Ottawa-Canada's Capital
Country
Region
Hello,
It "sounds" like you are saying that you have lengthened the suspension rod and bob to the lowest lever in order to have the clock slowed and now it is keeping time? Please clarify. If so, there are other thinks you can do to provide for more flexibility in adjusting the speed of the clock such as a thicker (and/or) shortened suspension spring . From the picture it is difficult to see much detail. Can you post a picture with better lightening? Has the clock been recently serviced? I would advise not doing anything with the verge at this point.

Reactions: Nawcc123#

Nawcc123#

Dec 17, 2018
Country
Hello,
It "sounds" like you are saying that you have lengthened the suspension rod and bob to the lowest lever in order to have the clock slowed and now it is keeping time? Please clarify. If so, there are other thinks you can do to provide for more flexibility in adjusting the speed of the clock such as a thicker (and/or) shortened suspension spring . From the picture it is difficult to see much detail. Can you post a picture with better lightening? Has the clock been recently serviced? I would advise not doing anything with the verge at this point.
I have lengthened the suspensin spring. Thicker sounds like an option. Ididnt know that there was such a thing.

IMG_20211028_092544.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Note, you have a twist at the very top of the suspension spring and the rating nut appears to be upside down.

I would suggest that you raise the suspension spring until that twist is just above the chops. This will get that twist out of play and also center your adjuster.

The pendulum will now need to be lowered but only about half the distance the hanger (at the top) was raised. This will raise the pendulum height about 1/16", maybe a bit more.

I'm curious about the "adjustments in the future"? If it's keeping good time there is no need to keep regulating. But, I would still recommend the just mentioned adjustments.

Willie X

LaBounty

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2002
Mitchell, NE
www.abouttime-clockmaking.com
Country
Region
Opening up the bottom chops, where the suspension spring slides through, will allow the pendulum to swing farther and result in a slower rate. Opening the chops can be done by inserting a razor blade into the slot and giving it a slight twist or wiggle. However, opening the chops too far will result in pendulum wobble.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
And if you were talking about a thicker suspension spring, that would speed the clock up. Thinner would slow it down because it allows the pendulum to swing further.

Nawcc123#

Dec 17, 2018
Country
And if you were talking about a thicker suspension spring, that would speed the clock up. Thinner would slow it down because it allows the pendulum to swing further.
Thanks. New at this. Every bit f information is a help.

Nawcc123#

Dec 17, 2018
Country
Note, you have a twist at the very top of the suspension spring and the rating nut appears to be upside down.

I would suggest that you raise the suspension spring until that twist is just above the chops. This will get that twist out of play and also center your adjuster.

The pendulum will now need to be lowered but only about half the distance the hanger (at the top) was raised. This will raise the pendulum height about 1/16", maybe a bit more.

I'm curious about the "adjustments in the future"? If it's keeping good time there is no need to keep regulating. But, I would still recommend the just mentioned adjustments.

Willie X
I will try this. Thanks.

Nawcc123#

Dec 17, 2018
Country
Opening up the bottom chops, where the suspension spring slides through, will allow the pendulum to swing farther and result in a slower rate. Opening the chops can be done by inserting a razor blade into the slot and giving it a slight twist or wiggle. However, opening the chops too far will result in pendulum wobble.
This helped. Thanks
The addjustments are still as low as they can go but it is keeping correct time now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heresolong
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-