Ansonia Wheel/arbor to Nowhere?

BIG D

Mar 2, 2004
Memphis Area, TN, USA
Country
Region
Hello all,
I was just cleaning etc an Ansonia Open Escapement clock. When looking for a problem on this movement I noticed the "Wheel/Arbor to no where". I can see where this would be used on a normal movement to drive the Escape wheel. BUT in this movement it drives nothing. Why would Ansonia manufacture this movement with the extra wheel and arbor.

This movement set up is as follows. The great wheel obvioulsy carries them mainspring. The second wheel drives the minute hand and the third wheel. The third wheel drives the Escape wheel in the center of the movement and the "Wheel to nowhere".

I just thought it odd a manufacturing company would add a wheel and arbor to all those movements that seem to do nothing. The only thing I can think it will do is possibly dampen the stop and go type action of the third wheel as the escape wheel pops on each tick. :???:?:confused:

24.gif

This one is kinda blurry but I think you can see what I mean.

25.gif

Thank you!

Ansomnia

Sep 11, 2005
Country
Region
BigD, I think you have an interesting question and movement there. I have attached copies of your photos and placed red arrows to indicate the extra wheel I think you are referring to.

However, I do not see an escapewheel in these photos. None of the wheels shown have escapewheel tooth profile or setup. Or am I mistaken?

Is the going train in the movement working and what do you observe when it runs?

Michael

Attachments

BIG D

Mar 2, 2004
Memphis Area, TN, USA
Country
Region
BigD, I think you have an interesting question and movement there. I have attached copies of your photos and placed red arrows to indicate the extra wheel I think you are referring to.

However, I do not see an escapewheel in these photos. None of the wheels shown have escapewheel tooth profile or setup. Or am I mistaken?

Is the going train in the movement working and what do you observe when it runs?

Michael
Michael, Your arrows are correct.:thumb:

I recased this movement and placed the hands on and was setting the movement in beat when I noticed a very intresting situation. The minute hand was moving like a Second hand. :eek: Come to find out...... I had reversed the final two wheels/arbors.

The escape wheel is driven deep in the movement. It is a Visible / open escapment clock where the escape wheel is visible on the face of the clock just above the hour cannon.

Another interesting point that I guess makes some sense when you think about it.... It was running at about the right BPH. However the minute hand was really moving around the face. Each beat it would very visible move forward.

Im thinking I may need to cut and paste this thread under Scotties' thread about those bone-head moves you make sometimes....:rolleyes:

Thank you for your reply and observation!

jacks61fd

Jul 2, 2002
Ocala Florida
home.rr.com
Country
Region
Just a thought is it possible the two wheels are installed opposite of how they should be, could the third wheel go in the place of the wheel to nowhere and that wheel moved to where the third wheel is to power the escape wheel pinion.

Ansomnia

Sep 11, 2005
Country
Region
Big D, thanks for your quick reply. You did mention it is an open escapement - somehow did not register on my brain. Duh. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's not that difficult to switch the wheels around when you think of it. Looks like Jack has already thought of that.

I imagine many people have or almost have made the same boo-boo before. Still an interesting experience to share. :D

Michael

BIG D

Mar 2, 2004
Memphis Area, TN, USA
Country
Region
Just a thought is it possible the two wheels are installed opposite of how they should be, could the third wheel go in the place of the wheel to nowhere and that wheel moved to where the third wheel is to power the escape wheel pinion.
Thank you Jacks...
Look like we were posting at about the same time and you were EXACTLY correct! Very good observation and thanks for the reply. YOU hit it right on the head of the problem.

I switched the 2 wheels and it is running strong and keeping good time now!

Thank you both for your time and effort. This board is a Great Place!

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alynn Legal
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions