Ansonia Venice Dial Screws

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by ScotSun, Sep 3, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I found an Ansonia Venice that just needed cleaning and a little brass polish on the dial face. The only thing that appears to be missing is one of the three brass fillister head screws that hold the brass dial face to the iron case.

They appear to be size 4 or 5. I tried one of my size 4 and it goes part way in and does not turn so I am wondering if the threading is wrong.

Does anyone know precisely what screw should be used and where to get them? For that matter, I am having troubles finding brass screws in general in the smaller sizes. Does anyone have a source for those? I did get a few from TimeSavers but the selection did not seem great.

Thanks

2. Troy Livingston

Troy Livingston Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Aerospace Stress Engineer
    Melrose, FL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    At least it sounds like you have the correct diameter and now only need to sort out the pitch (threads per inch). For a size 4 the more common pitches would be 36, 40, and 48. If you post a close up high resolution image of your screw on a piece of 1/4 in grid graph paper or next to a ruler I may be able to tell you what you need. If your thread size is still available then you should be able to order a replacement but it will likely bear little resemblance to the original. Are you active in the Chapters in South Florida?

3. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The best source I have found for original hardware is to check out old local hardware stores, not the big brand chain stores. If you ask, they may have some old stock. A local place has a good stash down in their basement. It was a pleasant find, but hit or miss and likely to be drying up.

Good luck in your search.

Tom

4. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I found a couple that I had that were not brass and someone else gave me the name of an internet resource. Thanks!

I am not a member. But I plan to move up north, probably north Delaware area so will look into that then.

5. breeze

breeze Registered User

May 2, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    [QUOTE="ScotSun,

I am not a member. But I plan to move up north, probably north Delaware area so will look into that then.[/QUOTE]

Well you can forget the alligators but you will need a heavier coat.

Breeze