• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Ansonia Tucker No. 1

TheTickTockDoc

NAWCC Member
Oct 9, 2009
New Port Richey, Florida USA
Country
Hello Friends:

Just picked up this Ansonia Tucker No. 1. Looks like 1874. Unfortunately, it's missing the top finial. Someone had attached a big brass bell...not a bad idea. I've got a reproduction final, but I think it's a little small (according to the one pic in Tran's book). The movement's not marked, so I wonder if it is a replacement? I thought that all Ansonia movements were marked...but this clock is much older that most I see. Not sure what to do with the finish as I don't see but a few pictures on line. Interesting though.....one of them has the bell on the top...maybe I have the same clock...LOL. Another pic on line has the finial, but it doesn't look right to me either. Well...anyway, I was wondering if any of you out there can offer help, suggestions or comments. As always, thanks in advance for your kind help. Best regards, Rich

IMG_0695.JPG IMG_0697.JPG IMG_0698.JPG IMG_0699.JPG IMG_0700.JPG IMG_0701.JPG IMG_0702.JPG IMG_0703.JPG

Brett Berry

Aug 21, 2013
Topeka
Country
Region
I have this model clock. Likewise, mine is missing part of the finial. Mine has bottom part of the original finial that mates up with the top part (bell shaped) of the original finial that you show in one of your photos. Together they make an oblique sphere shape. So you do have part of the original finial! I have attached a picture of a Tucker No. 1 with an original finial complete and one with what I believe to be the original finish.

Ansonia Tucker No 1.jpeg H1101-L104263930.jpg

TheTickTockDoc

NAWCC Member
Oct 9, 2009
Country
Well...it's all about the finish then. I am not convinced as to how the finish on this clock would have looked new. I certainly can clean it up and make the brass parts brilliant again...but just not sure. Thanks for your thoughts. Hopefully a few others can help.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
The movement's not marked, so I wonder if it is a replacement? I thought that all Ansonia movements were marked...but this clock is much older that most I see.
I don't know that I would worry about the movement. The Tucker No. 1 is shown in Tran as an Ansonia Brass and Copper (ABC) clock. Below are pictures of a couple movements from ABC calendar clocks with Wm. A. Terry's patent calendar (from Tran). The basic movement, though obscured by the calendar attachments, looks to be the same as yours.

ABC Calendar Movement 3.jpg ABC Oct Drop Mvmt.JPG

TheTickTockDoc

NAWCC Member
Oct 9, 2009
Country
Ok. Thanks. I felt that the movement was correct. Now, what to do to make the clock case look "original". I don't like the current patina. I own this one, so I can do what I wish. I prefer to have the clocks look as new when the finish is this worn. Rich

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyghost
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-