Ansonia Tucker No. 1

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by TheTickTockDoc, Oct 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TheTickTockDoc

TheTickTockDoc Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 9, 2009
    New Port Richey, Florida USA
    Country Flag:
    Hello Friends:

Just picked up this Ansonia Tucker No. 1. Looks like 1874. Unfortunately, it's missing the top finial. Someone had attached a big brass bell...not a bad idea. I've got a reproduction final, but I think it's a little small (according to the one pic in Tran's book). The movement's not marked, so I wonder if it is a replacement? I thought that all Ansonia movements were marked...but this clock is much older that most I see. Not sure what to do with the finish as I don't see but a few pictures on line. Interesting though.....one of them has the bell on the top...maybe I have the same clock...LOL. Another pic on line has the finial, but it doesn't look right to me either. Well...anyway, I was wondering if any of you out there can offer help, suggestions or comments. As always, thanks in advance for your kind help. Best regards, Rich

IMG_0695.JPG IMG_0697.JPG IMG_0698.JPG IMG_0699.JPG IMG_0700.JPG IMG_0701.JPG IMG_0702.JPG IMG_0703.JPG

2. Brett Berry

Brett Berry Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Male
    Attorney
    Topeka
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have this model clock. Likewise, mine is missing part of the finial. Mine has bottom part of the original finial that mates up with the top part (bell shaped) of the original finial that you show in one of your photos. Together they make an oblique sphere shape. So you do have part of the original finial! I have attached a picture of a Tucker No. 1 with an original finial complete and one with what I believe to be the original finish.

Ansonia Tucker No 1.jpeg H1101-L104263930.jpg

3. TheTickTockDoc

NAWCC Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Well...it's all about the finish then. I am not convinced as to how the finish on this clock would have looked new. I certainly can clean it up and make the brass parts brilliant again...but just not sure. Thanks for your thoughts. Hopefully a few others can help.

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I don't know that I would worry about the movement. The Tucker No. 1 is shown in Tran as an Ansonia Brass and Copper (ABC) clock. Below are pictures of a couple movements from ABC calendar clocks with Wm. A. Terry's patent calendar (from Tran). The basic movement, though obscured by the calendar attachments, looks to be the same as yours.

ABC Calendar Movement 3.jpg ABC Oct Drop Mvmt.JPG

5. TheTickTockDoc

NAWCC Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Ok. Thanks. I felt that the movement was correct. Now, what to do to make the clock case look "original". I don't like the current patina. I own this one, so I can do what I wish. I prefer to have the clocks look as new when the finish is this worn. Rich