Ansonia slate clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by tmuir, Nov 27, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tmuir

tmuir Registered User

Dec 17, 2009
    Perth, Western Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Whilst getting myself a Westminster clock which I need for my watch and clock repair course I stumbled across this Ansonia slate clock.
    It needs a bit of TLC but is certainly in good enough condition worthy of a restoration, although it may be a while until I get to it.
    I would love it if someone can give me a ball park idea of its age, or even better if anyone knows the model.
    I really love the enamel dial on it.
    Would the badly painted brass / gold colored bits been originally painted gold, or would they of been gilt?

ansonia_slate1.jpg ansonia_slate2.jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I would estimate the age at 1890-1910, as a rough figure. The dial is nice and looks in fairly good condition, just one crack as far as I can see. You could probably get that to be a lot less noticeable if you soak the dial in denture cleaner (the fizzy tablets).

But the case. Somebody has been let loose with a paint brush...............

First of all, you will have to remove all the gold paint. The top flat area would not have been painted at all, you can just see the outline of the original engraved decoration which would have been lined out in gold, which is what has been attempted on the top curved piece. So get rid of all the gold paint and see what you have underneath. Then you can line out the engraving with gold pen. While you're at it, clean off the paint on the top curved bit and re-do the gold lining.

As for the gold coloured corners, these look very odd. I don' think they were ever all gold like that. The scalloped edges may be the borders of another engraved pattern. So again. clean off all the gold corners and see what is underneath. Then proceed as above.

The strange white dots (they look white in the photo) would also have been gold. It almost looks as if the whole front of the clock has been painted black. You can see the decorative lines showing faintly underneath.

If it were mine, I would take out the movement and put it somewhere safe. The I would clean everything off the whole case and see what the original pattern was. Then line out the appropriate parts with fine gold pen. It can't look worse than it does now and I think you could end up with a very nice clock, but it does need some careful work and steady hand for the fine lines.

One word of warning: Never pick it up by the top overhang, always pick it up from the bottom. These cases are heavy and the pieces which make up the case are held together with wire and plaster. They can very easily fall apart if the bottom is not supported.

Hope this helps.

JTD

3. tmuir

tmuir Registered User

Dec 17, 2009
    Perth, Western Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes the whole case has been attacked with a paint brush, it needs a complete strip back, but slate clocks are not that easy to find where I live so I think its worth the effort to clean up. Will be something different to try that's for sure.
    Thanks for a ball park on the date

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes, indeed, it's certainly worth restoring - and it will be fun. You'll have a very nice clock in the end.

JTD