• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Ansonia question

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
I have an Ansonia Gallery,16" with a 12" dial(t&s) and I am puzzled by the fact that mine has an A-21 mechanism(original mounting with suspension spring mounted on the backboard via a block) and yet I have seen the same clock with an A-25.Why the variations in a clock that should be relatively standard? Mine has a very substantial brass bezel(original) not light like others and the trap door access is small(original),so small I can't get my hand inside,yet others have a big trap door.

Were these variations dictated by a market being served I.E. overseas or regional?

Looking for some light on the subject.
Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
I have an Ansonia Gallery,16" with a 12" dial(t&s) and I am puzzled by the fact that mine has an A-21 mechanism(original mounting with suspension spring mounted on the backboard via a block) and yet I have seen the same clock with an A-25.Why the variations in a clock that should be relatively standard? Mine has a very substantial brass bezel(original) not light like others and the trap door access is small(original),so small I can't get my hand inside,yet others have a big trap door.

Were these variations dictated by a market being served I.E. overseas or regional?

Looking for some light on the subject.
Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
I am a little disappointed,it appears as though we do not have any viewers, members or collectors of Ansonia Clocks that might have been able to help me with my questions.My clock I believe is the Gresham model...oh well.
Bruce

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
Hi Bruce,

We do have viewers and collectors of Ansonia clocks. I first looked at your post and tried to identify your particular clock and could not find a 16" Ansonia gallery with a 12 inch dial. If you could post pictures of the case, movement etc. we might be able to give you some information. I am not familiar with the A-21, A-25 designations. I see that your post has been viewed 67 times in one day.

Give us some information please.

Regards,

Richard T.

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Thanks Richard,
Looking mostly for info as to why the variations? especially for foreign markets ,different bezels,works etc.yet the same clock !!

My clock is the Gresham (in Ly's Ansonia book under hanging clocks, 16" w/12" dial) with a correct a-21 movement and the suspension spring mounted seperately to a block in the back of the case.
Thanks for replying,
Bruce

Regalansonia

May 11, 2004
The movement markings on your Ansonia 'Gresham' can be found on almost all of their movements made during the 1920's. What they meant to the people at the factory would be nice to know, but I've never found anyone who could explain them, or why they were used in the first place. Identical clocks will sometimes have different markings on them, so the A21 and the A25 might also be found on a given tambour model too. Al

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Regalansonia,thank you for the information,those two movements would be a tight fit in a tambour,but I have seen tighter.So another mystery of consonants and numbers on works.............
Regards,
Bruce

Regalansonia

May 11, 2004
Bruce, you'll also find some Ansonia movements marked with a letter 'B' and then a set of two numbers in the 20's ( B21, B22, etc...). I suspect that your Gresham movement is the standard arched-top model, with time and strike, and that movement along with a newer, modified version was fitted to many of Ansonia's mantle and shelf clocks in the 1920's. Most of the wall clocks, and some of the mantle clocks used the earlier arched-top plate movement that was introduced in 1881. Al

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Hi Al, thats it exactly!,arch top plates with 4 "legs" secured to the backboard and the suspension is seperate from the works.
Thanks for the follow up.
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACBurke
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent