Ansonia Plato Clock Leaves

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
I've recently got this nice looking Ansonia Plato flip leaf clock, patent date 1903. I have cleaned the movement and it runs strongly. I have also replaced the missing glass cylinder by cutting off the bottom of a drinking glass of a suitable size. Now, my problem is that about 50% of the leaves carrying the hour numbers in the upper carousel are missing. The minute numbers set is complete.
I guess my options are to find a donor movement (chances are slim and it's probably an expensive option) or to make my own leaves. I was thinking about scanning the numbers I have, print them in sufficient quantities, laminate them and cut them out with fine scissors or an Xacto knife. A problem will likely be cutting the small "pivots" of the leaves. Has anybody ever tried this and can share the experience? Are there other options I might have missed?

Thank you,

Uhralt
IMG_0322.JPG IMG_0323.JPG

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
saw one on ebay a few months ago... you could experiment and keep an eye out for a donor movement.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
What a neat clock! Never seen one. What are the leaves made of? Plastic?
The leaves are made from celluloid. The material they once made the film rolls of.

Uhralt

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
saw one on ebay a few months ago... you could experiment and keep an eye out for a donor movement.
I've got this one from ebay as a "for parts" clock...The ones I see now, as long as they appear to be reasonably complete, fetch rather high prices even if they don't run.

Uhralt

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Uhralt, I can help you out. PM me.

szl

May 6, 2014
Hello Uhralt--I too, have worked on Plato clocks. They are an interesting, little known story. History is an email for another day. It is difficult to make the celluloid leaves. If you buy a 'parts' movement, be aware that the shape, and size of the leaves can vary with the model. You will need an exact match for the leaves to fit. Experiment with some thin, flexible, springy material-try playing card stock. It must keep some tension in order for the leaves to flip. Celluloid becomes brittle with time. Good luck, this is a tough project. --steve

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Hello Uhralt--I too, have worked on Plato clocks. They are an interesting, little known story. History is an email for another day. It is difficult to make the celluloid leaves. If you buy a 'parts' movement, be aware that the shape, and size of the leaves can vary with the model. You will need an exact match for the leaves to fit. Experiment with some thin, flexible, springy material-try playing card stock. It must keep some tension in order for the leaves to flip. Celluloid becomes brittle with time. Good luck, this is a tough project. --steve
Thank you for the caveat! Surprisingly the minute leaves, which are complete, are still springy enough to flip. I was surprised that they were still flexible.
Uhralt

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Does anyone here know if Ansonia and Horolovar were related?

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
I just looked up an example of the Horolovar clock. It appears to be an exact replica of my clock. definitely worth a try.

Uhralt

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
Does anyone here know if Ansonia and Horolovar were related?
Charles Terwilliger commissioned several different clocks to be produced as a nod to various hard-to-find or otherwise interesting clocks from history. They were never meant to be replicas of the originals (Though putting the Jerome name and patent date on the Ignatz clock would seem to contradict that). Give Chris Nimon a call to see if he has some replacements available for the Horolovar clock and get some measurements. I think the Horolovar version may have tabs on the top of the flags that the Ansonia clocks didn't.

Last edited:

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Good news! I received the clock made by Horolovar from Shutterbug and it turned out that the dimensions of the leaves or flags are exactly the same as in my Ansonia Plato clock. I replaced all the hour flags and the clock is currently test running. So far everything seems to work fine. Thank you Shutterbug! Here is a picture of my clock with the "new" hour flags:
IMG_0328.JPG

Uhralt

Reactions: Dave T and Bujumon

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Thanks for sharing the picture and the information. That's great to know. So good to see that this sharing of resources had such a wonderful outcome. To quote a character in an early 80s TV show....I love it when a plan comes together!

Reactions: Uhralt

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It looks great Uhralt! My poor old Horolovar clock's base was in such bad shape that I had given up on trying to bring it to life! I'm very happy that at least part of it will survive and contribute to it's long term usefulness! Did the glass dome fit too?

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
It looks great Uhralt! My poor old Horolovar clock's base was in such bad shape that I had given up on trying to bring it to life! I'm very happy that at least part of it will survive and contribute to it's long term usefulness! Did the glass dome fit too?
Yes, it fit like a glove! The clock has been running for about 18 hours now and is working great. It was 2 minutes late this morning with plenty of room for regulation.Thanks again!

Uhralt

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Glad to help! :thumb:
It's also nice to verify that Horolovar and Ansonia are able to share parts!

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Some parts, but not all. The movements are completely different.

Uhralt

damart299

Feb 2, 2013
I’m a new owner of the Plato flip clock and am needing to replace the round glass, any help would be appreciated.

damart299

Feb 2, 2013
Do you remember where you got a glass that could be used to replace the glass for this (Plato) clock?

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Do you remember where you got a glass that could be used to replace the glass for this (Plato) clock?
Well, I just looked at multiple straight drinking glasses (beer or soda glasses) and found one with the correct diameter. Cut off the bottom. I would suggest to get more than one in case cutting off the bottom causes the glass to crack. Amazon and ebay are good sources for drinking glasses. Usually the dimensions are listed.

Uhralt

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
A bottle cutter would help for that, and don't forget to clean up the sharp edges with emery paper or a diamond grinder made for glass. If you don't, they'll crack. Occasionally a parts movement shows up on Ebay. You could keep an eye out there, too.

damart299

Feb 2, 2013
Got a glass and it fits. Clock is ticking, but the minutes seem to back up, do you have any hints to get it operating, the tiles? Attached picture of bottom of a similar clock , what is the function of the circled part? 05B9E2F9-0EB6-4A6B-8E7B-5044C018EC39.jpeg

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Got a glass and it fits. Clock is ticking, but the minutes seem to back up, do you have any hints to get it operating, the tiles? Attached picture of bottom of a similar clock , what is the function of the circled part? View attachment 617309
Glad you found a fitting glas. The circled part is usually shaped like a human hand with one finger pointing. It is mounted so that the finger gets pushed down by the flag passing by. Its purpose is to prevent the leaves from bouncing back. I don't know what exactly you mean with "the minutes seem to back up". Can you explain and maybe provide a picture?

Uhralt

damart299

Feb 2, 2013
8FEC15ED-D7B9-4860-AD3E-AD09FF75BC6B.jpeg The bottom(hand) is missing, that is probably why the the tiles are not advancing, minutes.? Any idea where I could find this part, without buying a whole clock. Attached photo of the missing hand, I need a black version.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
View attachment 617448 The bottom(hand) is missing, that is probably why the the tiles are not advancing, minutes.? Any idea where I could find this part, without buying a whole clock. Attached photo of the missing hand, I need a black version.
The minutes don't advance at all? The hour tiles do? Even without the hand the minutes should advance. The hand just prevents the tiles from bouncing back a little.
Can you post a picture of the top of your clock with the cover taken off? There is a motion works consisting of two wheels. One of them is held by a set screw. The problem might be there. Do the minute tiles move when you advance the time manually with the set knob?

Another possibility is that the carousel for the minutes tiles isn't moving with its arbor for some reason. Take a close look how it is attached to the arbor.

Uhralt

damart299

Feb 2, 2013
Got it all assembled and the movement was stopping starting then stopping again., I damaged the hairspring trying to start the
balance wheel.I’ve tried to repair the kinks in the hairspring, but don’t have the magnification and the steady hands required. Do you know someone that I could pay to repair and or install a new hairspring and set in in beat?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Any watch repairman could do that for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deeqdacad
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff