Ansonia pictures only

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Don DeMarcus, Jul 5, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Whoever finished the dial did a very nice job.

2. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is my "Unique". I replaced the gold in the incised designs. Bill, I think I have seen that dial on another Ansonia clock but haven't been able to find it. Could we see the movement on your Unique? The numerals are just in circles on the dial, cartouches are separate enameled plaques that are fastened to the dial. Yours seem to be flat and a part of the dial.

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      File size:
      188.9 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      File size:
      214.1 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      File size:
      111.4 KB
      Views:
  3. Don DeMarcus

Don DeMarcus Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #603 Don DeMarcus, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2018

Attached Files:

4. whcureton

whcureton Registered User

Oct 27, 2010
    Retired
    Paradise, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Don, Richard et. al.
    Yes ... the dial on my Unique is porcelain ... you might say creme porcelain, I guess, and the round blue cartouches that contain the fancy numerals (in black) are an integral part of the dial. I will take photos of the movement a little later in the day and post them but it looks like Richards. I also do not know what a "dot movement" is ... I looked at your posting Don and that is the first time that I saw that designation. How interesting. A new mystery to dig in to. I went from beginning with Made in Occupied Japan novelty clocks to Ansonia's in 2 years ... what a stretch, eh?
    Best regards,
    - Bill in northern California

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    We have a little information on, but no pictures of, the dot movement in this thread. It refers to a clock called the Trilby, which you may view here and here.

6. whcureton

whcureton Registered User

Oct 27, 2010
    Retired
    Paradise, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is another photo of my dial and a photo of the movement in my Unique. Also, just for grins, a photo of my Cabinet Antique. A very "stately" clock that reeked of money ... made a statement about you if you owned one back in the day.
    - Bill in northern California
    https://mb.nawcc.org/https://mb.nawcc.org/ DSCN2665.jpg DSCN2654.jpg

7. Douglas Ballard

Douglas Ballard Registered User

Dec 2, 2011
    Network Information Management/Computer Repair
    Alma, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Richard, what did you use to redo the incise? I'm getting ready to work on mine and like the "shine" you obtained on the incising.

8. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I used a toothpick to get any "junk" out of the incised design. Then used an extra fine gold pen from the craft store. You have to be careful and not get too much on the pen tip. I wore my magnifiers. Most of these pens dispense the ink/gold when the tip is pressed against a surface. I pressed against a 3x5 card to insure there wasn't too much on the tip. Carefully follow the design. Let dry and remove any that's outside the lines by gently using 0000 steel wool.

There may be other methods but that's mine.

9. Douglas Ballard

Dec 2, 2011
    Alma, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Richard. I have been using gold leaf paint and it is rather dull. I was looking for a bright gold paint and yours looked quite bright.

10. Douglas Ballard

Dec 2, 2011
    Alma, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a train wreck I got in the mail today. Have some work ahead of me to salvage this. I had a pair of the front ornaments on hand and the movement is soaking in rust remover right now.

DSC05654.jpg DSC05656.jpg DSC05657.jpg DSC05658.jpg

11. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #611 klokwiz, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
    male vocalist back.jpg clock back.jpg female vocalist back.jpg here is my ansonia "vocalists" it was a wonderful estate sale find. Until this I had little appreciation for these "figural" peices. It is large and heavy, I don't have exact dimentions but about 26" across 20" high. I posted some info before and the model was identified. There was some discussion about the finish, it may have been redone but not sure that is why i have some detailed interior photos. Let me know what you think. Joe
    New Image.jpg female vocalist frt.jpg clock closeup frt.jpg male vocalist frt.jpg movmt and inside case.jpg inside case1.jpg gong board removed2.jpg base underside right.jpg case frt under center base decoration.jpg base center decoration frt.jpg
    base center decoration back.jpg

12. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Mike306p/Ansoniaman Registered User

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently retired Police Officer 40 years
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice clock Joe. Thanks for posting. Mike

13. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Can anyone tell me the name of this Ansonia statue clock and what finishes were available? We just called it 'The Fiddler". My brother and his family moved to Richmond, VA in 1971-72, transferring for his employer. My parents and I drove his car there because his employer furnished him a vehicle. Parents found this in a junk/antique shop on the trip and brought it home on the bus in a suitcase, bus stopped at every cross roads on the way. It has a gutta-percha or hard rubber dial (I have seen both mentioned for use as dial material) and steel pallets. The movement has nickled plates and the springs are in barrels. It was covered in soot and smoke from a coal fire. I suspect the acid in the smoke had destroyed the original finish. ansonia01.jpg ansonia02.jpg ansonia03.jpg

14. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Mike306p/Ansoniaman Registered User

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently retired Police Officer 40 years
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #614 Mike306p/Ansoniaman, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
    Hi John. I found your clock ( Violinist ) in Tran Duy Ly's book of Ansonia Clocks and Watches on page 166 figure, 536. You were close when you said," Fiddler". By the way the book usually gives the value, year made and finish offered. In your clocks information section it did not have that particular information. Nice clock though. Mike

15. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #615 Don DeMarcus, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
    What you have is a very rare clock. I do not think many were made not to mention the statue alone. I recently saw the statue used in a lamp but your clock is the first one I have ever seen as a clock except for the one in the book. Mike is right they do not list it in the clock section but only in the Statues section. This clock is like almost of Ansonia statues that were finished in Japanese Bronze and yours was make in 1904. List at $7.50 for only the statue. It was the upper scale price of Ansonia smaller statues by .50 cents

I am happy to have finally seen one. The one in the book was a clock owned by Lyle Segelberg who has since past on. I did check the list of clocks sold by the estate and it was not there so I know now that there are two for sure.

I tried to buy the statue used as a lamp but missed the winning bid.

Please post a complete picture showing all of the clock. Is the top missing anything it should have a small flame.

Enjoy it forever.

Attached Files:

16. John Arrowood

NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Thanks for the information. The clock does have a complete top knot, I cut off the top when I snapped the picture. I'd prefer jeweled stones in the pallets and a white porcelain dial, but we take what we find.

17. John Arrowood

NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Thanks for the information. The top decoration is complete; I didn't get it in the picture. The bow for the violin is a replacement, my Dad made it from a piece of brass.

18. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John
    Do you have the back door?
    Are you missing anything on the clock?
    Keep it original if you can.

19. John Arrowood

NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    I do have the back door, the solder has let go and I've never taken the time to try to put it back. The clock hasn't run in years; the pallet fork is loose on its shaft.

20. ianp56

ianp56 New Member

May 22, 2013
    Could someone confirm my thought that these are Ansonia statues please? IMG_0699.jpg IMG_0700.jpg

21. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    109.jpg GENERAL HISTORY ...TORK TIME SWITCHES
    1922-1927 :
    MODELS - 115 , 1105 , 1130 , 1240 , 215 , 130 , 230 Hand wound 10 day models, With Key Brass Dial : Copper Contacts on Bakelite platform. Made by old Ansonia Clock Company

1928-1929 :
    MODELS - 115 , 215 , 130 , 230 , 166 Hand wound 10 day models, With Key Bakelite Dial : Copper Contacts Made by old Ansonia Clock Company

H/C

22. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry to tell you they are not Ansonia not sure who made them.

23. prideofmatchingham

prideofmatchingham Registered User

Dec 13, 2011
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Kolkata, India
    Country Flag:
    Would the forum help me in judging and dating this Ansonia Calendar (date only) large regulator? Tried the site but the lower portion of this clock is much bigger than conventional octagonal which I saw on net. It just says Ansonia on the sunk portion of dial aand Regulator A on the glass on drop dial portion. Other Ansonia clocks I saw had much smaller pendulum. Hence wondering if it should be lapped up!

30062013709.jpg

Insight from forum would be helpful.
    POM

24. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You Regulator A Calendar clock is 1901 and was the most expensive Calendar clock in the book.

Don

Attached Files:

25. prideofmatchingham

prideofmatchingham Registered User

Dec 13, 2011
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Kolkata, India
    Country Flag:
    #625 prideofmatchingham, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
    Wow, Don!! I am calling the guy right away!

As I hadnt seen this large size, I was wondering whats the issue with it. Even though my watchmaker told me to take it immediately as such large ones rarely came to him, I was circumspect.

But now the question is of price.

Don, is there a way you can PM me? I will put it in "Whats worth Forum?"
    And, Don, I request your permission to use those two pictures you put for my friend circle.
    Thanks a ton!
    POM

26. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The best way to find out what a clock is currently worth is go to ebay and in the advance seach type in Ansonia Regulator A and check mark the closed item. Then the current items. It might surprize you on the price.

27. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Where are all of the pictures of the Ansonia clock, I need to see them.

28. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    attachment.jpg attachmentid=227180[/img] attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg

Could you Ansonia experts give me info on this one? I also need a ball park idea of its value in a PM.

Your help appreciated.

Will

29. PW Collector

PW Collector Registered User

Aug 3, 2003
    My meager Ansonia collection.
    Top Row Left to Right:
    Flash Alarm - "Bee" time only - Startle Alarm
    Center Row Left to Right:
    Sun Watch (the tickles timepiece) - The Mentor - The Brooklyn - The Guide (last 3 in wood boxes)
    Bottom Row Left to Right:
    Scout Troop - Despatch - Record - Day Time - Scout Compass Watch (compass in back cover)

Dave

Attached Files:

30. gslaff

gslaff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Math Teacher
    Pequannock, NJ, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is Muse IMG_9028.jpg

31. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is beautiful gold finish?

Do you know any history about your clock?

32. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Do you have any history onthe clock?

33. mlschlot

mlschlot Registered User
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 10, 2001
    Retired IT Manager
    Fairhope, Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    IMG_0006.jpg I never posted a photo of my "Huntress & Fisher" after Charles Carrick finished restoring the statues and feet of the base back in 2008. I wish I knew what he had forgotten about spelter statue restoration. He passed away on December 31, 2012. Rest in peace Charles!

34. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #634 Don DeMarcus, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    I did not know that Charles had passed away, you are right I still am amaized with his work. I will never forget him.

Here is my latest find I was told it originally came from England and a friend of the family bought it and now its mine for ever.

I think I will have to give this clock to my daughter just like I did with Idyl so that I will not sale them.

I do need an original back door the Ansonia California the screw holes are 5 inches on center apart.

Here they are.

Enjoy them I do.

Attached Files:

35. spgtruth22

spgtruth22 Registered User

Aug 14, 2014
    Just got this today. Called the opera fan. In rough shape but a nice addition to my collection.

Attached Files:

36. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I like it and not a very common find.

Good job.

37. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Weight version of the Santa Fe.
    Santa Fe (1).jpg

38. llanclox

llanclox Registered User

Oct 31, 2009
    chemist
    Llangollen,North Wales, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice! Can I have it? 😁

39. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  40. larrytv

larrytv Registered User

Jul 28, 2014
    #640 larrytv, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2017
    The Ansonia pictured below is my second clock. My brother in law called from an out of town estate sale, sent me a photo, I liked the look and now I'm the owner!
    I wonder if anyone call help with identification of this clock. I can see "Patented", "Patented June 13..." and "New York" on the inside.
    I'm also looking for advice on the the materials used to make the case, as I would like to clean/polish up the exterior. According to a sticker on the back the clock was repaired in Dec of 1992 at "House of Clocks" by Robert Moreland.
    Thanks,
    Larry
    xyzzytom_312937 xyzzytom_312936 xyzzytom_312934 xyzzytom_312933 xyzzytom_312935

41. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #641 Steven Thornberry, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2017
    You will need to repost your pictures. You can use this thread as a guide.

42. larrytv

larrytv Registered User

Jul 28, 2014
    I hope the photos work with this posting.
    Thanks
    DSCN8599.jpg DSCN8602.jpg DSCN8603.jpg DSCN8608.jpg DSCN8610.jpg
    The Ansonia pictured below is my second clock. My brother in law called from an out of town estate sale, sent me a photo, I liked the look and now I'm the owner!
    I wonder if anyone call help with identification of this clock. I can see "Patented", "Patented June 13..." and "New York" on the inside.
    I'm also looking for advice on the the materials used to make the case, as I would like to clean/polish up the exterior. According to a sticker on the back the clock was repaired in Dec of 1992 at "House of Clocks" by Robert Moreland.
    Thanks,
    Larry

43. skinnb1

skinnb1 Registered User

Oct 4, 2015
    Country Flag:
    front.jpg back2.jpg Can anyone help me identify and date this Ansonia please? It is an iron clock and has a green marbled appearance. It has a visible escapement. The rear carries information about patents in June 14 1881 and June 18 1882. At the bottom right of the rear plate is 4 1/2.

Is the marbled appearance original or has it been added later? Some green paint has come through the front of the case making me think it may have been added later.

The inside of the case has 144 cast in 2 places.

Thanks

44. zyx123

zyx123 Registered User

Jun 18, 2011
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The clock is called AMIENS and was offered from 1895 to 1914 give or take a few years.
    The clock was offered with black finish with an option for green or Mahogany finishes.

Sharon

20181012_114932.jpg

45. skinnb1

skinnb1 Registered User

Oct 4, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Great. Thanks very much for your help.

Brian

46. Casey Jones

Casey Jones Registered User

Jul 27, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Bonham, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Since this old thread has been revived I will post my meager Ansonia Clocks.

Ansonia_1.jpg Ansonia_2.jpg Ansonia_3.jpg Ansonia_4.jpg

47. John P

John P Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Male
    Looking after the cats
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are a few of mine.
    PA120119.JPG
    PA120121.JPG
    PA120120.JPG PA120122.JPG PA120123.JPG
    PA120125.JPG PA120124.JPG

Tompion likes this.
  48. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That looks awfully like a factory finish, despite not being listed in the catalog. The "green" finish was at the same additional cost as the mahogany finish, which leads me to think it was not just a simple green color.

49. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Got this one for work I did on other clocks. What can you tell me about it?

DD9C9257-D40F-4B86-B563-71410C2F9F3F.jpeg BAB57BAE-A0F9-4DEE-A6E9-E3499D120347.jpeg

50. f.webster

f.webster Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 18, 2009
    Male
    Service/Restoration of Clocks and Mechanical Music
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is my Ansonia Regulator D

What label belongs on the back?

20190124_155625.jpg