Ansonia pictures only

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Don DeMarcus, Jul 5, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TheTickTockDoc

TheTickTockDoc Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 9, 2009
    New Port Richey, Florida USA
    Country Flag:
    003.jpg 002 (480x640).jpg 001 (480x640).jpg Hello Friends! I posted these in the Clocks General Forum, but thought they should go here as well. I've recently had a bunch of Ansonia iron case clocks in the shop and have purchased a few as well. I really like the case shapes and overall design and presentation of these clocks. In the pictures you can see a Munich that I completed and a Rosalind that I am working on right now. Here's where I hope that you can help as an Ansonia collector......in several sections of the Rosalind, the paint is completely worn away. All of the edges are bare. I think that the case is just too beautiful to display with all of the blemishes. So have you refinished one of these? I have touched up, etc., but this case needs a new, overall coat of gloss black. I expect that the original paint is a laquer-based paint? I could powder coat or just spray enamel the clock. I'm sure that the powder coat will hold up better and will also look more like the original coat of paint. Any thoughts on this? Also, as I've done a little research here on line, I've noticed that many of the ornaments on Rosalind clocks have been re-painted, and that the ornaments are all different colors. I'm 99 per cent sure that this clock is in complete original paint. The interested thing is that the ribbon sections of the case (the section with the woman's face at the bottom, and the strip above the dial) have not been re-painted on this case, but they are definitely more of a copper color than all of the rest of the gold painting on the dial and scroll work. The cupid handles look to be a well-patinad silver with a hint of that copper underneath. Was copper part of the plating process and is wearing through? I guess the real question is: did Ansonia mix silver handles, copper ribbon sections and gold dial and scroll work? You would think that everything would be gold? I have a Seth Thomas "Prince" mantel clock...and they definitely mixed copper color ornaments with a gold dial. So....what do you think? Thanks in advance for your time. Rich

2. llanclox

llanclox Registered User

Oct 31, 2009
    chemist
    Llangollen,North Wales, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Posted previously under new acquisitions but belongs here as well. Nice Queen Elizabeth- all original but for 1 replaced door hinge. A bit of damage to the dial near the time side winding arbor.Unfortunately the label is missing. Has been running on my wall for 13 straight days on one winding-- not bad for an eight day clock. Bought in a small auction in Scotland. Tran dates it to approx. 1901 and original price of $12.40.

AnsoniaQueenElizabeth.jpg 2012_0427AnsoniaQueenElizab0003 (768x1024).jpg 2012_0425AnsoniaQueenElizab0058.JPG 2012_0425AnsoniaQueenElizab0056.JPG 2012_0425AnsoniaQueenElizab0066.jpg 2012_0425AnsoniaQueenElizab0078.jpg 2012_0425AnsoniaQueenElizab0073.jpg 2012_0427AnsoniaQueenElizab0002 (768x1024).jpg

3. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Registered User

Jun 19, 2006
    Male
    Semi-retired - with a degree in Creative Writing
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    new2clocks had posted this suggestion in another thread...

...so I'm sharing my Ansonia here.

This is an Ansonia Standing No. 10, which I bought from a friend of mine back in February of this year. I was with him when he'd bought it three years earlier and had asked for first dibs if he ever decided to sell it.

The full conversation about it can be found by clicking here.

Thanks,

Attached Files:

4. Don DeMarcus

Don DeMarcus Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Great find and a great FRIEND, first time I have seen one.
    I like it.

5. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #555 Don DeMarcus, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    I just purchased a clock I have always wanted and thought I would never find it.
    I even considered buying a reproduction one just to have it, but I am glad I waited.
    I have not cleaned the case or movement I did a test run and it run very well and keeps great time.
    I must now decide if I am going to clean the cob webs off the case and clean the movement.

I really do like it just the way it is.

Notice the movement, on the lower right corner in the back has the letter D indicating the movement is for the Ansonia Cabinet D 1894.
    It even came with the original key according to the person I bought it from but who knows for sure. It is not marked Ansonia so maybe other items made by Ansonia were not marked with their name like the swinger movements.

This clock is all original and I am the second owner. I am so proud to save it for the next generation to enjoy.

Enjoy I will for ever.

Attached Files:

6. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Registered User

Jun 19, 2006
    Male
    Semi-retired - with a degree in Creative Writing
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice, Don! :thumb:

7. llanclox

llanclox Registered User

Oct 31, 2009
    chemist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Really nice. I've never seen one of those other than pictures in reference books. Thx for the photos. Congrats.

8. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #558 Don DeMarcus, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    The casting on this clock show that they used to be gilt gold at one time.
    Must have been something to see NEW.

I am going to leave it as it stands, once I change it the clock would not be original anymore.

Enjoy

9. ClockMogul

ClockMogul Registered User

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Don, For you to have landed a gorgeous clock that has not been molested over the years is very rare. I would be the exact same way as you. I would not touch it, as its fine aging process (lovely rich patina) shows.. These are the ONLY clocks i will ever own..Great looking and congrats..CM

10. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for responding,
    Here is another picture I did not post, some day I will clean the case but can you beleive it set in storage for 55 years?
    The dust bunnies really show up.

Some day I will get over how RARE this clock is and clean the dust bunnies at least but for now I love all of the clock and the dust bunnies.

Enjoy

Attached Files:

11. mike riska

mike riska Registered User

May 12, 2012
    retired mechanic, now contract postal carrier
    Capitan New Mexico
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My only Ansonia. Says ANDES on the rear label. DSC_0032.JPG

12. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Mike, welcome to the message board. Tran Duy Ly's Ansonia book shows your clock from a 1906 catalog picture, but it may have been made for a few years on either side of that. It cost $3.95 in 1906. It looks all original, tablet and pendulum match the picture.

13. mike riska

May 12, 2012
    Capitan New Mexico
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Harold, thats great to know. I got it from an 89 year old friend when he moved. Said he had bought it around 45 years before. Runs well and keeps good time. Thank you for the Welcome also. What a wonderful site !! Mike

14. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    MIke
    Your clock was made in 1906 and was one of the series of clocks starting with the letter A
    Aspen, Antler, Arctic, Arlington, Aspen, Andes. The last three say it was Dark Wood and first three are Oak.
    Not sure what yours is but that is all the book says about your clock. In 2004 the price was listed at $275.00 but who knows now.

A clock with the name on it is hard to find take care of the label so that it does not get damaged.

Your clock sold from $3.95 to 4.75 depending on if it had an alarm.

Looks great.

15. mike riska

May 12, 2012
    Capitan New Mexico
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Don for the information. The clock is indeed "Dark Wood" The label is missing the left 1/2 inch but the rest is clear but dark and is still solidly afixed. The clock is a favorite of mine (more so now) and is kept up high and out of harms way. Thank you again , Mike

16. MrMosmo

MrMosmo New Member

Jul 8, 2012
  17. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the Message Board, MrMosmo. I'm quite sure, you will get some infos on your clock.

However, it would be much better, if you post your splendid pictures right here on the MB.
    That way, they will stay with this thread. Photos on internet links have a tendancy to disappear after a while.

18. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi. Mr. Mosmo, welcome to the message board. I can't tell with certainty if your clock is marble or iron. It looks close to a few shown in Tran Duy Ly's Ansonia book, but no exact match.

19. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mr. Mosmo, your clock is the Ansonia "Unique," shown in Ansonia's 1880 and 1904 catalogs. Yours has a fancy open escapement dial, probably not too common on this model.

20. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mr. Mosmo
    Jeremy is correct it shows in the book that it first came out in 1880 but with a different dial.
    There is no way of knowing if the movement has been changed but I like it thanks for showing it.

Attached Files:

21. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    VERY RARE Ansonia clock this is called the Venetians I beleive it would have been made in 1894 along with some of the other double statues on the same base.

This is the only Venetians made by Ansonia clock company that I have ever seen.

Let me know if there is another one out there some place. Thanks for looking and enjoy.

Attached Files:

22. gslaff

gslaff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Math Teacher
    Pequannock, NJ, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  23. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can you tell if it is the original paint?
    Looks like the casting all match in color a very nice example thanks for showing it.

24. llanclox

llanclox Registered User

Oct 31, 2009
    chemist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A quick update on my California... Disassembled the movement, cleaned, reassembled, oiled and reinstalled. Tidied up the face and gave the case a wipe down. Don't want to mess with it too much though- it is what it is...a rare beauty. Is it perfect? No...but will I ever find another? No, again. Still looking for replacement feet for it but don't hold out much hope. (If anyone can help me with that I would appreciate it you could contact me via PM.)

The clock is on a table in my livingroom and has been running great for quite awhile now. I just smile each time I walk by it........

Attached Files:

25. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does anyone know if the Ansonia mahogany swinger no. 3 has been reproduced? There is a no. 1 on antiqueclockspriceguide.com that is called a modern reproduction. Thanks.

Attached Files:

26. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    After doing some more research, I can answer my own question: Proclocks was selling these a few years ago. I hope the auction house considers "antique" and "Ansonia" in the description to be a gross misrepresentation, or I am screwed.

Attached Files:

27. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #577 Don DeMarcus, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
    Jeremy
    Looks like you found it before I could find the time to answer you.
    But look at this Ansonia Mahogany No. 2 on ebay. Item number:251149584336.

It said that the post to hold the clock was an old reproduction one.

Here are some pictures of it just incase it is gone by now.

Hope you get a chance to see it before it is pulled this item is sold and the only real movement for these swingers that I have seen.

Some day I will be happy with a reproduction one.

Attached Files:

28. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Don. Yes, that is a real one, at least the swinger part.

29. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Mike306p/Ansoniaman Registered User

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently retired Police Officer 40 years
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    wood rack n statues 006.jpg wood rack n statues 005.jpg
    I was asked to place my two statues on Ansonia pictures only. So here they are. Mike

30. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Those girls look lonely do they have any friends?

31. gslaff

gslaff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Math Teacher
    Pequannock, NJ, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is my La Seine

32. gslaff

gslaff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Math Teacher
    Pequannock, NJ, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes it is original, I got it from the previous owner of 60 years

33. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    3 Ansonia's from an estate sale this weekend. I went to the sale three times and all together bought 8 clocks. These three Ansonia clock were among the group. Ansonia Monarch, Queen Elizabeth in oak, and what I believe is a long drop office with the seconds bit and larger movement. All three look to be in great condition except for a broken upper glass on the long drop.

Attached Files:

34. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    All are very nice. Being fond of Mantel/Shelf I particularly like that fine example of the Monarch. You must have gone to the sale loaded for "Bear"!

35. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    First night was pre-sale....bought a Patti VP...other stuff was more than I wanted to spend and weirdly enough, Patti was a bargain...went back right before close on Friday and made some offers...came back with the 3 Ansonia clocks, a Welch Gerster (also a Patti), a Jerome mini 8 day steeple and a fairly plain Kroeber walnut with good label, original dial and fancy glass pendulum. Went back Saturday before close and came out with another steeple, this one a 30 hour Welch. All decent prices so cannot complain about much other than missing an Ansonia Excelsior which went to the first guy in the door for $650....

36. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That was a GREAT find.
    Good job I like all three.

37. gslaff

gslaff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Math Teacher
    Pequannock, NJ, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  38. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  39. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe after Christmas some one will get an Ansonia clock and post their picture here.
    I would like to see them all.

Happy Holidays to all.

40. Douglas Ballard

Douglas Ballard Registered User

Dec 2, 2011
    Network Information Management/Computer Repair
    Alma, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is my first Ansonia. The case is in poor condition, will be redoing it. Movement needs to come out for a cleaning and adjustment. Missing the bezel glass, key and pendulum.
    Thanks to the board I know "Your Ansonia is the "Calcutta" model and was shown in Ansonia's sales literature in 1886."
    2012-12-28_11-36-08_242.jpg 2012-12-28_11-36-36_863.jpg 2012-12-28_11-36-58_320.jpg

41. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Douglas
    Thanks for saving this great clock. If you need parts try the parts link to complete your clock.
    Sometmes it is easier to just find a complete dial then trying to find a bezel with the hing in the proper locationi to attach to your movement.
    Good job and thanks for posting your clock, I like it.

42. Douglas Ballard

Douglas Ballard Registered User

Dec 2, 2011
    Network Information Management/Computer Repair
    Alma, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Don, I believe you are correct about the bezel. It has a different hinge type than most "black mantle" clocks and it will be hard to find a replacement for just the glass. The movement was pulled last night and is pristine, unbelievable. It is like someone bought it, then never ran it. No wear in the pivot holes, no dust, dirt, dripping oil tracks. All I needed to do was give it a light oiling and put it in beat. It has been running for hours now. I really like the ornate plates, too bad they are hidden away in the case. The open escapement is quite fascinating.

43. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you start looking for a used dial with bezel pay attention to the screw holes on it, some are not in the same location.

Be careful they are addictive. I have lots of Ansonia clocks and they are not running causing no wear at all.

44. rlees

rlees Registered User

Jan 16, 2013
    #594 rlees, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    Hi Everyone,

Here are some pictures of my Ansonia clock. This clock was my Grandfathers and i just posted a thread on trying to identify it. I really like having it running in my office. It is original and in good condition. If anyone here can identify it i would like to know the model and year.

Rick
    Clock1.jpg Clock2.jpg Clock3.jpg

45. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #595 Steven Thornberry, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    Assuming it's an iron-case clock, I would say it's the Boston. Tran Duy Ly's book on Ansonia clocks shows it from the 1904 catalogue, but it might have been offered a few years either side of then. The outside columns on yours appear to be somewhat larger than the inside, which is not apparent in the catalogue picture and may be simply a trick of the photo.

46. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello rlees
    Your clock is the Boston, it would be great if your Grandfather lived in Boston at one time. Here is some information about your clock.
    It came with your dial or with what is called an open escapement movement so that you could see if it was running.
    Enjoy it I am sure your Grandfather did.
    Thanks for letting us see it.

Attached Files:

47. rlees

rlees Registered User

Jan 16, 2013
    Hi Don,

Thank you for the reply, My grandfather was raised north of Boston in Manchester by the Sea. As I understand it was a wedding gift to him. My Grandparents had several clocks around the house and I have this one and a newer one with a westminster chime. I have this one in my office. I have always liked it. It has been well cared for and it keeps very good time.

Rick

48. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Rick
    Put all of this information inside the clock if you can so it will stay with it.
    Great story.
    Enjoy it.

49. whcureton

whcureton Registered User

Oct 27, 2010
    Retired
    Paradise, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is my humble contribution to the Ansonia photo collection. It is a simple little enameled cast iron "Unique" (Ly page 302 #1128). But what makes this particular "Unique" TRULY unique is the porcelain dial with fancy numerals in light blue round cartouches. The photo doesn't show it but this specimen has a gorgeous thick beveled glass door. I had NEVER seen a dial like this before and when it became available I just had to have it.
    - Bill in northern California DSCN2648.jpg

50. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bill
    I can see why you like it. This dial make the clock really UNIQUE.
    Thanks