Ansonia pictures only

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Don DeMarcus, Jul 5, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Ansonia Triumph, 1880

One of my latest mirror side clocks. Picked up three of them at an auction a few weeks ago. This is an Ansonia Truimph from around 1880. It's in excellent shape. The second picture shows it beside my New Haven Apollo.

Attached Files:

2. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    I have had this clock for years and it is now cleaned up restored and looks much better now.One of my favorites.................
    Bruce

Attached Files:

3. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice calendar clock, Bruce. Tran shows it as the "Drop Extra Calendar" from 1883.

4. Don DeMarcus

Don DeMarcus Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Bruce
    I am sure you saw it in Trans book on page 70 it is found in the Ansonia Brass & Copper Company 1883and I beleive it is Terry's Patent.
    Do you have the label inside the case?

You make me want to finish two of my long time projects, Waterbury Agusta and Howard 70 Program. Maybe a new years project.

Thanks for sharing it.
    don

5. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Hi Don & Harold,I bought this clock 11 years ago and it had been in storage and the wood was quite dry and there was a minor "owee" at the bezel hinge connection but all in all in decent shape.
    Bob Reichel restored the system and I worked on the case and glass.
    I used Formsby Cleaner at that time and then worked orange oil into the wood.
    This is the Old Rosewood and when I oiled it, it "glowed".
    Has the complete label and untouched month disc,the dial pan needs some work but I left it in untouched condition,I figured if I can see the time.date and month from across the room why "dink" with it.
    Bruce

6. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Mike306p/Ansoniaman Registered User

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently retired Police Officer 40 years
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #506 Mike306p/Ansoniaman, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
    New2clcoks. I would like to see a photo of your #3 when you can post.Jeremy, That will be a nice one when cleaned up. Hope you can find a base . Ebay or club function or sale may get you one. Good luck.
    Bruce, I really like your clock. Mike.

7. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mike,

I will post a picture as soon as I can.

Regards.

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Registered User

Mar 24, 2004
    Greetings, All,

My Mother-In-Law gave us an Ansonia wall clock that looks a bit older than some I've seen. But, as I know next to nothing about Ansonia clocks, I figured the best way to see what we have, and to learn more about it, is to check with the NAWCC members. I'll post photos here, but if they should be in another place, please let me know, and I'll re-post them in the proper location. Thanks for any help you can offer as to ID, and typical service procedures. The clock "wants" to run, but as we received it, does not. Might be something as simple as a clean and lube. Thanks, again, and Happy New Year!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

Attached Files:

9. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What size is the dial?
    To make it run you may need to put in beat? This means that the pendulum inside the clock swings the same distance in both directions.
    Check it with something that will mark the position while it is stopped and just hanging? Let us know if this will help.

Some times the clock does not need to run only be admired, like some of mine.

Good luck and thanks for posting the clock.

10. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Registered User

Mar 24, 2004
    Good Evening, Don,

Thanks, very much, for your response. I would love to know what, exactly, we have inherited from Mom, and how old it is. I'm more of an 18th century pocket watch guy, but these old clocks are beginning to intrigue me. This is the second one that Mom gave us, and the first, a Seth Thomas "Yale" model kitchen clock, is working but still in need of a good cleaning and lubrication to work it's best. In any case, the dial on this old Ansonia is 12" across. Looks like an old one to me, but I could be wrong, of course. Any info you can send, or any tips on where to seek it, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

11. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Doc Mark
    I looked in several books and can not find your clock.
    Please take the dial off and look at the movement or better yet post a picture. Is it marked Ansonia?

I have never seen the hands like the ones on you clock. They do not look Ansonia.

So lets see the movement.

12. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Don, I have the same concerns you do about this one. The gong stand doesn't look Ansonia. I suspect it to be an older Asian reproduction, perhaps from the early 1900's.

13. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Registered User

Mar 24, 2004
    Greetings, Guys,

Thanks, very much, for your insightful comments. I will take photos of the movement as soon as I can, hopefully later today. But, I'm fully prepared for this to turn out to be a fake "Ansonia", or one of that ilk. I have a 1750's verge fusee that's marked "London", and done in an English style (for the most part), but is a fake from that time period. The maker never existed, and several clues show it to be either Swiss, or Dutch, from that same period, cashing in on the strong reputation that English watches had back then. I love it just as much as I love my authentic English chain-drive pocket watches. So, if this clock turns out to be a fake, or copy, that won't make too much difference to me. Thanks, again, and I'll talk to you soon, with further, and more detailed photos. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

14. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Registered User

Mar 24, 2004
    Good Evening, Gentlemen,

I don't know if this post will survive the move to the new Version of this forum, but I'll give it a go. If it is lost, I'll post it in the new forum when it is up and running.

I took quite a few photos of the old clock today, and will let them do the talking, as they should be able to tell you something about themselves that I most certainly could not. Please let me know what you think after checking them out. Just my own thought is that this movement did not originally reside in this wooden case, and is some sort of replacement, Ansonia, or not. I am eager to see what you guys think. Take care, Happy New Year, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Attached Files:

15. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the additional photos.

We can wait for the experts but I think it is Japanese. I see it is marked "New Ansonia" Kai Ryo.

I also see the metal "discs" on top of the mainsprings. That is typical of some Asian movements. New Haven is the only American maker that i know of that used them on some movements.

Best,

Richard T.

16. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Registered User

Mar 24, 2004
    Good Morning, Richard,

I have been trying to find out the meaning of the words "KAI" and "RYO", in Japanese, and so far, the closest thing that make sense might be something like "genuine clock". But, there are so many other meanings for those words in Japanese, that I am really just guessing. I hope someone here can shed more light on this old clock, the meaning of those words, and when it may have been made. So far, in the books that I have on hand, I've found one interesting thing. In the book "Two Hundred Years of American Clocks and Watches", on page 169, I found something that may prove that Ansonia was sending clocks to Japan. "By 1914, the company (Ansonia) had agents in Australia, New Zealand, Japan, China, and India, and exported a large quantity of merchandise to these and eighteen other countries." This could mean that it's at least "possible" that the old clock we have is, indeed, an original Ansonia, made specifically for export to Japan, could it not? I'm open to any and all possibilities, but would love to know the facts behind this old clock. The movement is clean, at least to my eyes, and seems well-made. I'm considering giving it a light oiling, using a tiny needle oiler, to see if it could be used here at home. If I move the hands manually, the chimes work on the hour, and seem fine. But, otherwise, the movement does yet run, though I think it could be made to do so, without too much work. Thanks, very much, for your thoughts on this, and I look forward to hearing more from Don, Harold, and anyone else who can send some good info my way. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

17. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Registered User

Mar 24, 2004
    Good Morning, All,

I was very much hoping to learn a bit more about our old clock, especially after posting photos of it's movement. Don and Harold, is there anything else I can show you Gentlemen so you can offer more information about this old timer (no pun intended)? Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

18. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I would throw in my vote for an older Japanese gallery clock. The Japanese were adept at adopting and copying American style movements, and this one may well be an imitation of an Ansonia. Even in the 1970's, you find imitations of Ansonia movements - I owned one once that was Korean in origin - both case and movement were repros of Ansonia products. Perhaps this is what is known as a Simon Wittner Pony express clock. I can point you to a couple of earlier threads with some information on this, here and here, if you are interested.

19. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Registered User

Mar 24, 2004
    Good Morning, Steven,

Ahhhhh, comes the dawn! Many thanks for the additional information, Sir. That helps clear up quite a few of my questions about this old clock. I have a few more, if I may, please? Do, from what I've read now, it would seem this movement could either date to the early 1900's, or the 1970's, or anywhere in between. Is that right? Any way of knowing on which end of the date bell curve this clock belongs? I don't care about "worth", as we will either keep this and use it, or give it to someone else who will do so. But, since this is now quite obviously a Japanese clock, probably, as gleaned from the info you so kindly provided, a schoolhouse clock, is it worth cleaning up, oiling, and putting back into use? As I wrote earlier, this movement looks very clean to me, and would probably respond to just a good oiling. Please share your thoughts on this, if you wouldn't mind, and that will help us decide which way we want to go with this clock. I am hoping we can put a little effort into it, and get it back into use, just for fun, actually. But, if it is junk (which does not seem to be the case to me), I won't bother with it. Thanks, to one and all for your help with this clock. I love learning and research, and very much appreciate the comments and suggestions that you have all shared on this. I also look forward to hearing what you think about my final questions about it. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

20. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Doc
    Look at the movement there are additional holes in the back board. It does not look like this movement came with this case.
    Does the dial and case have matching hole for mounting it?
    I have not heard anything about the manufactor.
    Not sure why Ansonia would not stamp their original name on a movement and logo so I think the movement is also a reporduction movement.
    Currently some Ansonia movement are being put in reproduction cases so you have to look for words like style in the description.
    It still looks great but now you and I know the movement did not start in this case.

21. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    All the extra screwholes tends to make me wonder how much of what you have is original to the case. Those Pony Express clocks that Steven referred to were shipped over to the US by the containerloads, and there may have been some mixing and matching to come up with working clocks to sell, if yours did originate as one of these.
    These Japanese movements can be made to work reliably just like the American movements they copied.

22. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I will defer to others on the date of the movement, but the single mounting feet lead me toward the earlier 20th century. If a 1970's or later product, I might expect double mounting feet.

23. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Registered User

Mar 24, 2004
    Greetings, Gentlemen,

Outstanding information, and I truly appreciate your comments and efforts! I am sure that this movement did not originally come with this case. Too many extra holes, and the case looks far older than the movement, in my opinion. The dial and case do seem to match up nicely, with only one set of holes for the dial itself. The screws are mismatched, however, which does not surprise me. To me, the dial looks fairly new, with not enough patina marks on it, as I would think an early 19th century clock would have. But, I could be wrong about that. In any case, I really would love to get this clock up and running again, and see how it goes. I've never disassembled something like this, and even though I'm in love with all my verge fusees from the 18th century, I've never done one of those either. Since the movement seems very clean, with no dust and trapped junk in it, as far as I can see, should I give this movement a light oiling, and see what happens? Or, should I take it to someone local who can fully dismantle, clean, re-bush as necessary, and lube for me? My chosen pocket watch repairman is in Orange County, and I have trusted him with all of my early chain-drive watches, including the 1690 Pieter Swaan verge fusee that is the jewel of my small collection. Maybe I should just take this clock to him and let him do his magic on it. But, there is a part of me that might like to give this a go. What are your collective thoughts on that? I have lots of books, but mostly for verge fusees and such, and not too many clock books. Hummmm.... Something to consider, that's for sure. Thanks, again, Gentlemen, and I'll talk to you soon. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

24. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Registered User

Mar 24, 2004
    Hi, All,

I remember that many of you also answered my questions about my Mother-In-Law's old Seth Thomas "Yale" kitchen clock. I have not had time to get into that one, as of yet, and that leads me to think it might be best to take both the ST movement, and the repro Japanese movement to my watch repairman, and let him do both at the same time. I still have the bug to dig into these, but the time to actually get it done is not there, most of the time, being self-employed. More food for thought, that's for sure, and once again, my sincere thanks to all of you who have jumped in on this topic, and also that old Seth Thomas "Yale" clock, which we also got from Mom, but which has been in the family for many years. I need to give serious thought to rejoining the NAWCC. I let my membership lapse a few years ago, when my time began to disappear. If I pay my current dues, will I keep my old member number? Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

25. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If the pivot holes (bushings) look clean, it won't hurt to try a drop of clock oil in each of them, then try running it. Have a good look at the mainsprings, to see if they also appear to be reasonably clean. A bit of clock oil between the spring leaves wouldn't hurt, but if they appear rusty, greasy, they really should be properly cleaned.

If you rejoin, you can keep your old number. We do welcome back old members.

26. Walter Soestbergen

Walter Soestbergen Registered User

Dec 3, 2011
    Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Got the opportunity to buy a Ansonia Triumph.

The cupido's are showing some silver color and the mirrors are missing. I do have an old mirror I can use to get them back in this clock. The ornaments are having a bronze color on some parts but most of it is away.

There is an Ansonia movement in and there is no date stamp on it. There is a 9 1/4 something at the lower right at the copper and

So here the photo's

Attached Files:

27. ClockFanatic

ClockFanatic Registered User

Dec 20, 2011
    PhD Student
    Birmingham, United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #527 ClockFanatic, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
    Hello everyone,Just to show my Ansonia movement. Second visible escapement clock for me. The seller said it's originally from large drum head case. It must be quit a big case to accommodate this clock with the size of bezel, 5 3/4 inches and pendulum is 10 inches. The gong stand looks quit a long one too. I don't really know all parts are originally in one set or have been mixed up. Gong stand was normally found in crystal regulator series but the movement mounting normally belong to marble/cast iron case. So not really know the exact thing.

ansonia 4.jpg Ansonia3.jpg Ansonia1.jpg

28. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    HelloYou have the large movement for a case like Florida. Notice the long tabs on the movement for mounting it to the bezel, if it was for a statue clock it would have short tabs on the movement. The straps have been extended for some reason maybe to fit a differnet case.Looks like you have a rare back door.Thanks for posting them.

29. llanclox

llanclox Registered User

Oct 31, 2009
    chemist
    Llangollen,North Wales, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's one that I have owned for many years. Perhaps a lesser Ansonia but still one of my favorites. It is a Handy model. Obviously designed to be carried as a pocket watch during the day and then slipped into the brass case to make it a clock at home. It keeps reasonable time for what is basically a 'dollar watch'.

DSCF1090.jpg DSCF1096.jpg DSCF1093.jpg DSCF1094.jpg

30. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Never mind, just wanted to demonstrate I'm not fully ignorant to
    American clocks..., so here's my Ansonia Tilden Thurber four glass and it's a keeper.o:)
    The leaded glass motif and the etching on the back door were custom made by Kischi Hentschel.

Jurgen

DSC01913.JPG DSC01910.JPG DSC01911.JPG DSC01912.JPG

31. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Jan 12, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My NEW Ansonia "Swinger" clock. I know already that the statue is French , the arm is Ansonia and it is a short drop. Mike

Untitled.jpg

32. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sooth
    I think the glass looks great, I would not try and move it up.
    Great Find.
    The beat scale is really in good shape. It is a tin scale that has been painted and if removed it will all flake off.

33. MDean

MDean Registered User

Jun 7, 2010
    Retired Elec. Eng.
    Northwest Louisiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jurgen, Now that is a great looking 4 glass case. What a nice touch with that leaded glass and etching! I've never seen one done like that. That is a keeper. Looks appropriate next to that lamp.

E.D.

34. Nathan2307

Nathan2307 Registered User

Apr 20, 2005
    Maryland
    My Ansonia Rosalind

Rosalind.jpg

35. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nathan
    That is one of my favorite clocks, thanks for sharing it.

36. Nathan2307

Apr 20, 2005
    Maryland
    Ansonia "Equal"

radios, clocks, and watches 003.jpg

37. Nathan2307

Apr 20, 2005
    Maryland
    Ansonia "Liege"

radios, clocks, and watches 037.jpg

38. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nathan
    Looks like you are missing a part on the lower right side.
    If you make a copy of the left side out of the same wood and take it the Senior center near you I am sure there is someone there who can make it for you.
    I like it.

39. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nathan
    Another nice find.
    You can post more then one picture on each post if you would like.

How did you get both of them?

Try to keep the history for the next generation.

40. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello all,

Attached is my Ansonia Crystal Regulator #3.

From left to right are Ansonia Crystal Regulators # 3, 4, 5 and 6.

Hoping to acquire Number 1, 2 7 and 8 for the complete collection.

Regards.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      File size:
      75.9 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      File size:
      73.5 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      File size:
      83.5 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      File size:
      63.5 KB
      Views:
  41. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Jan 12, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    new2clcoks ! Very nice collection. I bet no one has them all yet. Hope that you succeed. Mike

42. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you, Mike.

The numbers 1 and 2 come up at auction quite often. The 7 and 8, to my knowledge, have come up at auction once in the past 7 years.

Regards.

43. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Jan 12, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Don Demarcus asked me to post this Ansonia Fortuna on his thread for future references. Mike

Attached Files:

44. DianneB

DianneB Registered User

Feb 27, 2012
    Almost retired
    Manitoba, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I only have one Ansonia, a Regulator, and it looks quite spartan by comparison. It has however been the main clock in my house for over 20 years.

Attached Files:

45. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks great how come the base is not white did you paint it?

46. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    DianneB
    It looks like it is in Great Shape, do you know the history of it?
    Do you keep it running?

47. DianneB

DianneB Registered User

Feb 27, 2012
    Almost retired
    Manitoba, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I know nothing of it's background Don other than it had been in the hands of an antique collector and I bought it at auction over 20 years ago in run-able condition. I know nothing of its prior history but it was probably an office clock.

It hangs in my living room, runs continuously, keeps good time (within 2 minutes/week), runs about 12 days on a winding, and is the main timepiece in my house. If I remember, it gets oiled every three years or so LOL! I am currently building a grandfather clock so the Ansonia Regulator will eventually get a rest.

48. ClockFanatic

ClockFanatic Registered User

Dec 20, 2011
    PhD Student
    Birmingham, United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello everyone,

Another ansonia mantel. I'm not sure the case is home or originally belong to this clock. Generally it is in good condition. Any information is really much appreciated. Well hopefully it's a genuine ansonia.:confused:... Thank you.

Ansonia Mantel (15) resized.jpg Ansonia Mantel (9) resized.jpg Ansonia Mantel (1) resized.jpg Ansonia Mantel (6) resized.jpg Ansonia Mantel (2) resized.jpg

49. Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #549 Don DeMarcus, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012

I believe it is an original it is called FOWLER made in 1914. It looks like Ansonia made eight wood case clocks similar to yours and must have been a series because they all start with the letter F. Flanders, Fairmont, Foster, Fairfax, Fleming Fenton, Fraser and yours FLOWER.

The only thing I see that could be different is the top and botom of the posts. All of the F series has the same top and bottom on the posts as this one in my picture.

Notice the feet they look the same, looks like some one put new screws in it.

It is in Trans Duy Ly book on page 477

Enjoy it.

Attached Files:

50. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Around where I live, throughout the year there is some sort of flea market activity on Sunday mornings. There are the indoor ones during the colder weather, then outdoor ones come spring.

I enjoy them. Sometimes neat stuff shows up that with a bit of haggling can be bought reasonably (cash please) and for me it is an excuse to pick up something that I would otherwise probably pass up as not part of my general area of focus.

Such was the case with this clock. First of all, I apologize in advance if a. an example has already been posted b. based upon my past perusal of this thread, it would seem there are some rather advanced Ansonia collectors so I hope it isn't too yawn inspiring.

This model is called the Sydney (named after the city in Australia?). I found it in Tran's Ansonia book, page 459, figure 1840. It dates to 1886.

There were a few things that appealled to me about this clock. I like the solid ash case with contrasting ebonized decorations, drops, and finials. I like that it is 8 day, time, strike, and 1/2 hour strike. It appears to be in great condition with just about everything original including a nice mellow finish (though not sure about the pendulum as this model is shown with a barrel pendulum in "the book"). But what I liked the best was that glass. Great late Victorian excess with a peacock, swallows, butterfly, dragon fly and that little scene in the center of a house with a sailboat on the water with a sun filled sky and mountains.

RM

PS Newbies: there's some decent things of American manufacture out there to get you started. Some earlier, some later so something bound to suit your interests and depth of pocket.

Attached Files: