Ansonia Peep O Day Alarm Clock

David D'Apice

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2012
Country
Wondering if anyone out there has a photo of the Peep O Day mechanism -- I have a nice little four-column cast iron Ansonia alarm clock with bell below it (Patd 1877) ---- but I believe one of the gears on the mainspring wheel is gone. Not sure how it all worked to start with --- seems like one spring drove two gears -- one direction driving alarm, the other driving time -- I noticed two pawls, and one of them has two pins that stick from the ratchet gear -- not sure if they engaged with something. A few good photos would at least tell me how it was all assembled and how it worked to start with. It's baffling at this point, but too nice not to take a shot at getting it together. Thanks in advance -- and happy fourth of July!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Can you post pics of what you have? It sounds like maybe you're talking about stop works and a count wheel drive wheel ... but I'm not sure.

David D'Apice

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2012
Country
Sorry it took me so long to get these images --- here's what I'm working with. It's adorable, but I think the "great wheel" shown was one of two -- the other just behind it.

IMG_0744.jpg IMG_0745.jpg IMG_0746.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It appears to be a regular rattle wheel type alarm. It would not likely have a barreled spring, but would require some type of spring to power it, which was evidently wound at the same time the movement was. I've never encountered one like that, so can't guess where the spring should go or what it looked like. I do agree that something is missing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cicastol
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre