Clock Ansonia "Nile" - porcelain faceplate

Carl M. Manello

Aug 22, 2020
Country
Hi all,

New member here in Lincoln, NE. I just purchased an Ansonia mantel clock (The "Nile"). The dial has been 'fixed' with a paper dial. I am looking for a porcelain replacement. I've tried several clock shops, eBay, and Google shopping. No luck.

Any ideas here?
(attached picture is a catalog picture, not my actual clock)

Thanks in advance,

Carl

clock.jpg

Carl Bergquist

Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
Is the movement a visible escape? I have the Nile in my collection and I do have several visible escape dials around. I don't think I have seen a visible escape with a paper face. The one you picture looks like a metal face with a brass inner circle. A picture of yours would help. Ansonia could set up many different faces and numerals in the same case so as to please the customer and the 100 years that have passed have made "originals" rare.

DSCF2160.JPG

Carl M. Manello

Aug 22, 2020
Country
Carl (always good to meet another!),

Thanks so much for your response. I see your in SE Wisconsin; I spent 30 years and raised a family in NW Chicago burbs. Ola!

Yes, just like yours, mine is an open escape (escapement?). If you have extra dials (both the outer numbered dial, as well as the inner dial), I'd be interested in those. As you can see from my pictures the inner brass ring is also missing.

Very excited to hear if your "extras" would fit.

Best regards,

Carl

IMG_4113.JPG IMG_4112.JPG

Carl Bergquist

Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
I found four, all Ansonia, but three of them are the smaller size. The one that would fit my Nile is pictured. It is in reasonable shape. It has a serious crack between the nine and ten. The porcelain is not loose and I don't think it would chip off, and it is hard to see. Would I put this on my Nile? If it was the original, Yes. But since it is a replacement it would be iffy. Timesavers makes replacement porcelain dials (item 20054) they are expensive but the Nile is a great clock. It was very hard to find one with the top intact. The three inserts I show would fit but you would have to pick which one is the best match. I don't know how good the Timesavers dials are, but they come with the insert so matching isn't an issue and you can pick Roman or Arabic numbers.

DSCF2161.JPG DSCF2162.JPG

Carl M. Manello

Aug 22, 2020
Country
Carl,
Thanks again. I appreciate the discussion. As a new guy to clocks, help me understand. This would be a replacement part for me (replacing paper dial), but you think that is still "iffy." Why Wouldn't something closer to spec be better than paper? As far as the inserts, the picture is a bit blurry, but I'd want one with the Ansonia monagram on it. If all three are the same (two have monagram), not sure I can judge. How much would you ask for the dial and disk?

I looked on timesavers for part 20054 and the search came up empty. I did a search through dials and came up with several (link) but by my measure are too small (?).

Last edited:

Carl Bergquist

Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
You are right, Timesavers no longer stocks the dial you would need. My catalog is old and that part number was the one you needed. I would definitely get rid of the paper face and go the route you are going. So your brass bezel and door look ok and it looks like the inside is porcelain or maybe paper. You also would need the brass ring for the inside of the chapter ring. The picture is the three parts that I think you need. My email is bergquistcarl@att.net. Privately email your address and I will send them out. I will not charge for parts that I am happy will find a new useful home. Good luck and be gentle with the chapter ring I will pack it well. If you are new to the hobby you choose a very nice clock, I am a big fan of all Ansonia visible escape clocks.

DSCF2163.JPG

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
machv5
Encyclopedia Pages