Ansonia Nile Movement

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by wbranko, Dec 9, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I just bought an Ansonia Nile on ebay for a very good price...but I now think I may have paid about right.

:eek:

The clock looked pretty good...until I got inside. Enclosed is a copy of the movement I found. Looking at it, there is no "Ansonia" name, and it sure looks like a French mantle clock movement to me? It has a "1" and a "54" on the bottom back of the movement...these are the only markings

78283.jpg

:confused:

So, my question for the experts...should this clock have a round Ansonia movement? Is the French movement incorrect as I believe?

Can anyone send a photo of the correct movement?

Thanks in advance for the help!

:D 78281.jpg

78282.jpg

2. inbeat

inbeat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does not look French to me...I think it is American and most likely Ansonia.

3. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was watching that clock last week. I have the same clock with the same movement. It's an unsigned Ansonia. Your clock is as it should be.

4. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Mike306p/Ansoniaman Registered User

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently retired Police Officer 40 years
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Question? ? ? If it were French would the springs be in barrels? I see Ansonia's with no barrels, like the one shown. I see it is unmarked and it does not even look French at all. Mike

5. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Harold, thanks for the quick answer (Inbeat, thank you as well)! It turns out the spring is not broken...the click spring gave way and the time train free wheeled. It looks like the winding wheel grabbed the click while at speed and several of the teethe are pretty chewed up.

What are the chances of finding a spare first (winding) wheel for this movement? If slim, what are my options for repairing the teethe? The teethe I'm referring to are the teethe that lock normally on the click.

I had no idea there was such a thing as an unmarked Ansonia movement. I'm sure glad you told me...I'd have been sure it was wrong and might have done something stupid!

Thanks again for the help!

6. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Show us a picture of the chewed up ratchet wheel. Should be replaceable if it isn't repairable.
    I have a second Ansonia with the same unsigned movement, the Cornwall.

7. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Harold, Here is the best picture I have taken so far...it does not show the teethe all that well, but you can see how the click spring is detatched here (probably what started the disaster rolling!). I'll have to get into the movement in a few weeks...I've got some other "madatory activities" going on right now. I'll try to take some better pictures then and post them with another query. In the meantime, this is the best I could muster! 78288.jpg

8. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  9. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks to everyone who provided me with this good information. I learned something new today...part of the fun of the hobby! Harold, I will take a look at the movement when I disassemble it...if it is as bad as I think it might be, I'll contact Dave LaBounty as suggested.

Thanks again!

10. Ontime

Ontime Registered User

Nov 6, 2012
    I myself just found an iron mantle, open escapement, with what looks to be the same movement as this one being discussed .....mine is marked 'Ansonia New York'. At first I also thought it was a french movement because I'd not seen a Ansonia in this era with round plates. Only after I got it home did I see the Ansonia name. Also, interesting that there is no Ansonia trademark on the dial unlike all the other 1880's - 1900 iron mantles I've seen.

Does anyone have further details on these movements such as model number, year, scarcity, etc. ? ?